The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Place guessing

Malte279 · 520 · 38571

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My guess is the United Kingdom. It's just a guess.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ Not a bad guess there, Nick. ;)  Four kingdoms: Wales, Scotland, England, Ireland

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You are aiming in the right direction. The place my riddle talk is about is located in the United Kingdom, and I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one here who has been to this place already. Read the other lines knowing about the place being located in UK and you may easily guess it.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hmm...maybe Wayne or Brian would know this. ;)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My guess is the Big Ben Clock in London.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The tower of London is correct!
They say that if the ravens leave the tower it will be the end of the British empire, the precious possessions that rest there are the crown jewels, the center part of "the" tower (I don't know the English word for the central part of a castle and would appreciate if somebody could tell me) has four towers, and the gate through which you don't want to enter the tower is "traitors gate" which was the entrance for high ranking people who were going to be executed in the tower.

Good going Kenji! Your turn. :)

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
This place is sometimes called "the graveyard of ships" (I may have made that up :blink: ), for it claims more ships than even the infamous Bermuda Triangle.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Reading Graveyard of ships the Bermuda triangle was my first thought, but of course it was rendered useless by the next sentence. There are two places that come to my mind neither of which I suppose to be the place you mean. Anyway, the first one would be the Magalain Strait, the narrow sea passage at the tip of South America (don't recall the name of the island there right now).
The other one would be the Savo Gulf, a large bay of the island Guadalcanal were many American and Japanese ships were sunk during WWII.
If both is wrong, could you give another hint?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Those places did have a lot of sunken ships, but still isn't enough compared to this place.  This place is in fact not a single part of any of the four oceans (Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, & Artic).

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The Graveyard of ships is Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Would not that be at the Atlantic? To be honest I've never heard of it. Gibraltar perhaps (the gap between Atlantic and Mediterranian sea)? But I never heard it being called ships grave yard. Neither did I hear it about two other possible places: Messina (the gap between Italy and Sicily) and the harbor entrance of Venice (the tides caused quite a few accidents there in the medieval ages). I do not think that either of these guesses is correct, but with all the main oceans ruled out, the place is likely to be either in the Mediterranian, the Baltic, or the North sea (there are also several alternatives like the Chinese, or Japanese sea, but they are sort of parts of the Pacific). One question, are we talking of ships sinking because of the forces of nature or of ships being sunk by other ships in battle?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
It was mostly caused by forces of nature.  And most of the ships that were sunk were fishing ships and transport ships moving between two countries.  The only way these ships can go anywhere else are through rivers and canals.

I don't know if my hints are throwing ppl off balance :blink: .  If anyone is having problems with these hints, please let me know.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cape Hatteras is known as the Graveyard of Ships, It;s located at the tip of North Carolia, in a region called the Outer Banks.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sea routes that can be evaded by canals or rivers. One we haven't had yet I could think of would be the cape of good hope, but it has to be wrong as it is between Atlantic and Indian Ocean. Moreover I don't know of it being particularly dangerous. I'm afraid I simply don't know it.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The Magellan Straits are located between Tierra Del Fuego and mainland South America. Could that be it?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I named that one already and it would also be between Atlantic and Pacific. There are not many regions left with all the great oceans being excluded.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How about the Jutland canal? It cuts across Denmark.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would be one of the few places left that could be evaded by a channel. With the battle of Jutland 1916 taking place there, there are even a couple of sunken ships there, but I don't know about many ships being sunk there by nature (I may be just ignorant though). Actually it sounds like a good possibility.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'll see if this next hint could help:

There was a 60s or 70s song called "Ballad of the Edmund Fitzgerald", which was about a ship that sunk here.

And one givaway hint:  This graveyard of ships is more than one body of water.