The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

linux or mac

inlerah

• Ruby
    • View Profile
i am trying to decide weather i should stick with os x or try out ubantu like my friend keepes nagging me to do. what do you guys think is the better os

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If you forked out the cash for a mac, you should stick with the mac OS...otherwise you just wasted all that money and spent four times as much for the same hardware you could have gotten with a PC.  The only reason to even have a mac is to have a stable mac OS.  Otherwise they're just good-looking overpriced hardware that you could have gotten for a quarter of the cost had you gone with a PC.

Linux is literally a beast.  If you don't know a considerable amount about computers then don't even bother trying to use it as your main OS.  If you want you can always dual boot it.  Or just boot it up with the live CD.  That way you can try it out for a while without actually having to permanently install it.

inlerah

• Ruby
    • View Profile
it's not like i spent any money on ti. a friend of mine gave it to me a couple of years back when he upgraded. right now, it's literally being held together with duct tape :lol

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, from experience, which was just today actually, I had used Linux for a bit, but it was slower than usual as I had used it from a bootable OS CD, so it wasn't actually installed, just running off the CD, which was rather slow.

Have not used Mac OS X as of yet, but so far, I would imagine that OS X would be better than Ubuntu, just from what I have experienced....and Mac OS X sounds more user friendly to me.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Macs are far more polished than any Linux build.  I wouldn't recommend switching unless you intend to learn a whole new system, how it works, and troubleshoot issues as they arise.  Seeing as your current Mac is falling apart, I suspect you're looking for a new replacement.  If money is tight, go with a Windows build because as Austin already said, you need to spend considerable money to get a good Mac.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Personally, out of the two, I'd stick with a Mac. Linux, from what I understand, is slower and has less support compared to Macs. There are advances to Linux of course, mainly being free (last I checked) and being nearly immune to viruses (due to the way it's structured). Still I'd stick with Mac being the main OS since I believe it operates better than Linux in general and has more support.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: inlerah,Aug 19 2010 on  12:03 AM
it's not like i spent any money on ti. a friend of mine gave it to me a couple of years back when he upgraded. right now, it's literally being held together with duct tape :lol
Well if that's the case, you may experience better performance with Linux.  It depends on whether or not the OS has been "upgraded."  If you've got a G4 with OS 10.5, then yeah.  Linux is going to be waaaaaay faster.  Just remember that it's a whole different world then mac OS and there's absolutely no official support.  And running it off the live CD is just to get a feel of how you'll like it on your computer.  It will be very slow due to the fact that optical drives run a lot slower than hard drives.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Let's put it this way: You can get a Mac if you want some good media tools and nothing else for a rip-off price.

You can get a PC with Windows 7 and dual-boot with Linux Ubuntu and get everything you ever wanted for an amazing price and actually quality hard ware and an attractive GUI. (Graphical user interface)

Linux may not be as polished, or as fancy, but the decision is truly up to you and the user experience.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The GUI of a Mac isn't that bad. I like it, though it'll take me sometime getting used to since I rarely used Macs in the past, just in school. My sister wants to get a Mac because it would be perfect for the course she is taking (interior design).

I don't think Macs are any worse than PCs or vice versa. Depends on your preference. Really, the only downside to Macs I can really see is the price. Macs tend to be more expensive than PCs, but this depends on what PC you get. My sister wanted to know what laptop she could get that's just as good as a Mac for interior design and it ended up costing her roughly the same as it would have cost her if she got the iMac instead. There are cheaper PCs that are indeed more affordable than Macs, but they may not always come with the best hardware.

There are some misconceptions about Macs that I sometimes still here, one of the most persistent being that "Macs never get viruses". This is untrue. Macs are just as vulnerable to viruses as PCs. The thing is most viruses are written for PCs since they are more popular than Macs. Linux, on the other hand, is, as I said, nearly immune. I say nearly because it's still possible to get infected. The reason it's harder to infect Linux is because the user is, essentially, on a limited account. A virus can only do damage if it's run from Root. Of course you can replicate this sense of security on Windows using a limited account, I believe.