The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Regarding ANY LBT 14 Topics

Petrie. · 468 · 71672

Bruton the Iguanodon

Why does Pterano have such a huge fanbase? Because he goes through a "color change"? (Medifore for turning from bad to good)

Anyways what did you think of my ideas?I'd like your thoughts.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think it's because he's the first complex character to be introduced into the series in awhile. Before him, the side characters that the gang ran into were mostly (not all of them) two dimensional and only there to serve a purpose or help the gang out. They didn't really do anything to enhance the story aside from giving assistance to the gang. Otherwise, they're just flat. Good character writing shows strong development, and changes of some sort. Pterano was focused on in such a way that he went from being an antagonist to having a possible shot at fully reforming once his exile was up.

You really didn't see characters like that before or after the seventh movie (with a few exceptions). That's why I think he has a large fan base. I mean heck, he's what resparked my interest in the franchise, although it was short lived, as by the time I saw the tenth movie, I had lost interest again, and didnt' bother seeing them from 11 on.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Yeah. From what I recall, Pterano starts off as egotistical, thinking he knows better than anyone, with what looks like a clear motive to take over the world (or rather making flyers rulers of the planet). But as the movie progresses, we start to see that maybe Pterano isn't as bad as we once thought, that maybe there is another side to him that we didn't see at first. And by the end, this becomes a reality: Pterano wasn't actually maniacal; he only wanted to help everyone else.

My thought is that this stems from his guilt at not being able to protect that one herd that was attacked by sharpteeth (in the flashback). Maybe he was so upset with himself that he wanted to redeem himself by using the stone of cold fire to make flyers in charge of the world, believing that this act would save many lives from sharptooth attacks.

But that's just my view on it.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Anyways, moving on from Pterano, what does anyone think of my ideas? (I put a lot of thought into them)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Some of them I like, and some of them I would not want to see in a LBT movie.
Let's start with:
1. Make ALL the songs likeable. NO damp squids. Make them ballads, broadway style numbers, rock songs, anything cool. Make sure none are kiddy and several are orchestral.
I am not liking this at all. The songs were the weak points of the movies, in my opinion. Some were enjoyable, but they were unnecessary. You don't need a song to get a point across.
2. Go back to the animation of the earlier films. No bright animation, no cGI, no soupy animation.
Computer animation is much more easier and cheaper than hand drawing everything on animation cels. The technique has been abandoned by most, if not all, animation studios. I think taking out the CGI would be nice.
Soupy? Like foggy and clouded or overly sentimental?
3. Make the color tones mainly blue, green, and dark blue. No birght colors allowed.
You realize the tones of a color are the variations of the base color as it moves from dark light to bright light?
4. NEVER, I mean NEVER, bring back the tinysaureses, Tippy and his herd, Rinkus, Dinah and Dana, the idiot flyer judges from 12, Petrie's imaginary friend (or any imaginarty friend for that matter), or those (bleep)ing yellow bellies! Or any character of the tv series. Also, I don't want Mr. Thicknose, Ruby, Doc and Pterano brought back. And certainly not Bron. Forget Bron ever existed. (Sorry, Shorty, that means you go too.) And any character of the tv series. The only characters of the sequels I really want back are Ali(the REAL Ali of movie 4, not the fake one!), the bullies from 3 (make Hyp look like he did in 3), Archie, Elsie, Sue, and Mo (as long as he's colored rightly.) Oh, and Ozzy, Strut, Ichy, Dil, Sierra (have him be a solo flyer now) and the Lioplerudon, providing they survived.
As for "I'll think about it":
Maybe Tria. (Tricia as well, can't have Tria without her.) And maybe Pat and Guido too, maybe. I like Guido but he didn't feel like something out of "classic LBT." Maybe the rainbow faces, although I'm against aliens in LBT.
A lot of those characters you mentioned probably never will show up in another sequel, if the series is ever picked up again. They were major characters for the movies they showed up in but minor characters in the franchise as a whole. Also, removing Bron from the franchise would make your proposed sequels non-canon since he was already introduce and therefore part of The Land Before Time universe.
5. Give the end credits beautiful score, not songs from the movies. that's what they did starting with 3 and until 8 (a bit was used at the end of 11) and it would give the ending of the films a really good feel. I liked that and I prefer listening to beautiful score instead of some lame cover of a song in the film ("Bestest Friends" is the cover I'm talkin bout, not that of "No one has to be alone", that one actually was good and fit well) or a lame reprise of a song in the film.
Maybe.
6. Don't make the characters bland or overly stupid.
I do appreciate good characterization.
7. No filler scenes. Remember that scene where Ducky got kidnapped by the Pteradactyl in 5, for instance?
I agree.
8 . Make the plots intriguing and mysterious, like in 4!
I'm starting to feel that these "sequels" you are proposing will be filled with too much repetitiveness.
9. Give the films an overall more mysterious feel. The last few films really lost that.
As I said for number 8...
10. No baby names! "Sky water"? "Sky colors"? No!
Oh so we just take out such names as The Bright Circle, sharptooth, longneck, threehorn, swimmer, flyer, spiketail, treestar...? I think you can see where I'm going with this, maybe.
11. No goofy, kiddish stuff! WE CAN NEVER, I MEAN NEVER, SEE ANYTHING EVEN IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS "IMAGAINRY FRIENDS", TIPPY, OR THE YELLOWBELLIES, OR YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!
Two things: your opinions and this is a KID's franchise.
12. Draw the characters normally. Someone pointed out Tippy looked like a teletubbie and Mr. Thicknose didn't even look like an adult dinosaur. Go back to drawing adult dinosaurs like they should be.
I don't remember Tippy standing on two legs and having weird formations on his head. And Mr. Thicknose looked very much like his supposed age. But I do not like how the character changed as the series progress. Most of the gang looked really bloated in the later sequels.
13. Make all the characters great.
Such a vague statement. Elaborate please.
14. Reference Littlefoot's mother, like a lot.
Sounds like a not too good idea...
15. Since the awesome as hell Sharptooth of movie 1, we've had precious few awesome sharpteeth. The ones in 2 were cool but still they were mommy and daddy, and the producers went further in dumbing them by giving them subtitles and making them turn nice to the gang and basically softening them. The raptors in 3 were okay but they weren't huge sharpteeth. Movie 5's sharptooth looked awfully drawn and he had those stupid plates. And he actually cried tears of pain?! DON'T YOU KNOW SHARPTEETH DON'T CRY?! The allosaurs of 6 wasn't even a t-rex and was dumb as a doornail. The t-rex in the story was okay, but he was from a long time ago. The one at the end was okay but he was hardly in it. Movie 7 only had raptors...in a flashback at that. Movie 8's sharptooth? Whatever!! Movie 9's lioplerudon was awesome! Bring him back! Movie 10's sharpteeth? Don't think so! Movie 11's? Raptors that are TICKLISH?! Movie 12's raptor was so dumb. Make all sharpteeth as big and bad as movie 1's.
Maybe. I would appreciate a more dangerous villain, but again this is one person's opinion.
16. Injure the characters! Have them spill blood, break bones, pass out, something!
You do know the target age is not above 13? I get that you want it to be but it is ultimately not your choice.
17: Have a character die. In 12 sequels not 1 good character died. Which is good but a little overly softening. Movie 1 always stuck out to me in my childhood as the only movie where a good character died.
Read my thought on number 16.
18. Include more dark, action packed sequences, with rain and lightning, such as the one in movie 9 (seriously that was such a good scene, it felt like something out of a different film entirely and is proof that these movies could be a lot darker while still being kid friendly!)
Maybe a few here and there, but again putting these in all movies would make it repetitive.
19. Bring back the land of mists and the big water (call it the ocean, please.), and invent more cool locations.
They can't call it the ocean as it is officially established as Big Water. I agree more interesting locations could be added, although I think the gang has done enough exploring.
20. Stick to the style of the first three sequels, maybe make it a little edgier. Don't go as far back as the style of movie 1, since it was only so dark cause they weren't sure if the great valley existed and now they do.)
This contradicts #s 16, 17, and 18. And 2, 3, and 4 weren't really that edgy.
These are my thoughts on your suggestions. They are true and some may be a bit rude but these are my thoughts on your ideas.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I couldn't have said it better Justin1993.  To add on to the comment about characters being injured, killed off, etc....this is why there's a horror genre in entertainment.  Leave that kind of material out of a series that is rated for ALL ages, and satisfy your violence fetish with something else.  Just my opinion.  I have no intent on being offensive to anyone, and if so, I already apologize.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Thanks for replying to my ideas, Justin. But some of your reasons were...a little invalid.

11. No goofy, kiddish stuff! WE CAN NEVER, I MEAN NEVER, SEE ANYTHING EVEN IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS "IMAGAINRY FRIENDS", TIPPY, OR THE YELLOWBELLIES, OR YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

Two things: your opinions and this is a KID's franchise.

You gotta admit, though, that was way over the top!

8 . Make the plots intriguing and mysterious, like in 4!

I'm starting to feel that these "sequels" you are proposing will be filled with too much repetitiveness

14. Reference Littlefoot's mother, like a lot.

Sounds like a not too good idea...

But everyone complains how little she was mentioned in the sequels!

So? As long as they're all good repetitiveness wouldn't matter!

9. Give the films an overall more mysterious feel. The last few films really lost that.

As I said for number 8...

There is nothing wrong with this idea. Repetitiveness is nothing if it's a really cool style we see over and over again. Yes, most of the time repetitiveness is bad. But take Enya's music for example---all of her albums sound the same and I'd never want them to change.

16. Injure the characters! Have them spill blood, break bones, pass out, something!

You do know the target age is not above 13? I get that you want it to be but it is ultimately not your choice.

Which makes me wonder what the general age of the members on here are. I'm a teenager (I won't say how old) and I honestly hope I haven't entered a forum a bunch of little kids are on (shudder.) But anyways they could injure the characters, and just be subtle about it.

17: Have a character die. In 12 sequels not 1 good character died. Which is good but a little overly softening. Movie 1 always stuck out to me in my childhood as the only movie where a good character died.

Read my thought on number 16.

See what I said about your response to 16.

18. Include more dark, action packed sequences, with rain and lightning, such as the one in movie 9 (seriously that was such a good scene, it felt like something out of a different film entirely and is proof that these movies could be a lot darker while still being kid friendly!)

Maybe a few here and there, but again putting these in all movies would make it repetitive.

Pure awesome sequences can never get too repetitive.

19. Bring back the land of mists and the big water (call it the ocean, please.), and invent more cool locations.

They can't call it the ocean as it is officially established as Big Water. I agree more interesting locations could be added, although I think the gang has done enough exploring.

Enough exploring? What, you expect them after all this time to suddenlt stop? And it has been called the ocean, Elsie in 5 said, "We'd make quite a pair, swimming about in the sea", and Mr. Threehorn said, "What do u expect them to do? Rise up out of the ocean?"

20. Stick to the style of the first three sequels, maybe make it a little edgier. Don't go as far back as the style of movie 1, since it was only so dark cause they weren't sure if the great valley existed and now they do.)

This contradicts #s 16, 17, and 18. And 2, 3, and 4 weren't really that edgy.

I want to contradict those! Repetitiveness won't do anything wrong as long as it's great! 2,3, and 4 weren't that edgy, seeing as all of the sequels are lighter and softer then the original,  but those were moreso then 5-12.

These are my thoughts on your suggestions. They are true and some may be a bit rude but these are my thoughts on your ideas.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I really do.  :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah yes they did say "ocean", though I'm not sure if the kids know of the term.

My thoughts are that the dinos don't call all oceans "big water"; Big Water is the name of an ocean. Either that, or it's just a term the kids came up with and the adults just never bothered to tell them "ocean".

And yes I'm sure they know about the term "sea" because I am sure that Elsie mentions the sea in LBT 5.

Now I wouldn't really say Justin's reasons are "invalid", Bruton. They're just his opinions, as your posts are of your opinions. You may not agree with him, but that doesn't mean that his views are "invalid".

For instance, you claim that his statement of "it's your opinion and this is a kids series" is over the top, but how is that so? He was keeping his post short and simple to get his point across. It's okay if you don't agree, but I don't see why you thought he was crossing the line with that statement.

On top of that, when he states that the target audience is not above 13, you start to question the age of the people on this forum. It seems like to me you misunderstood what Justin was actually saying. He was not saying that everyone here is little kids. Most people here, to my knowledge, are either teens or young adults (or even older). If you read Justin's post carefully, you'd realize he was referring to the company's target audience.

Land Before Time is indeed meant for little kids. Universal made the movies for little kids; that's their target audience. But this doesn't mean older people can't enjoy the movies. What you have to keep in mind, Bruton, is you must take in consideration the target audience. You might like LBT to be more violent, but bare in mind Universal made LBT for children and thus the movies have to remain at a certain rating.

Repetitiveness is not really a good thing. Repetitiveness results in things getting boring, not better ore more exciting. If the things you proposed happened all the time, well, where's the excitement? Where are the surprises? If they happened so much, well, they'd get boring and the movie series would not do so well. There would be nothing new to expect.

Maybe you like repetitiveness and think it would be good, but if there's one thing I learned over the years, it's that repeating things too much actually decreases the value of something. Let me provide an example for you.

Let's say the movies do all have sharpteeth that are just like the first sharptooth. Same size, same tenacity. And the gang is attacked by one every movie, roughly the same time. Sure this is interesting at first, but don't you think it'd get boring after a while? By movie 8 I'd be so sick of it, personally, that I probably wouldn't even finish the movie. Having a tenacious sharptooth in every movie gets repetitive and takes away any element of surprise of who the gang will have to face. It would make people be more along the lines of "come on dangerous sharptooth, show up so I can get this over with!".

I do agree with Justin. Some of your ideas are good. But some of them, which he already pointed out, I don't entirely agree with. Some of them just don't work for a pure LBT movie series/TV show, especially the one about them spilling blood and breaking bones. Again the target audience is kids. Just because older people enjoy LBT doesn't mean Universal is going to start adding things that would make them lose their target audience.

And I should add that, far as I know, G is actually the most versatile of the ratings, garnering the largest possible audience. The reason for this is because G is not too intense for kids, and adults can still relate to G movies' messages, characters, etc. If Universal decides to up it to PG-13, it loses a chunk of its audience, as parents will not let their kids watch the movies then, and thus Universal would lose part of its profit.

Bruton the Iguanodon

On top of that, when he states that the target audience is not above 13, you start to question the age of the people on this forum. It seems like to me you misunderstood what Justin was actually saying. He was not saying that everyone here is little kids. Most people here, to my knowledge, are either teens or young adults (or even older). If you read Justin's post carefully, you'd realize he was referring to the company's target audience.

Land Before Time is indeed meant for little kids. Universal made the movies for little kids; that's their target audience. But this doesn't mean older people can't enjoy the movies.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I've been going through some rough times with my mom, who is completely against me doing this, and I started to wonder if I was actually doing something completely wrong. But like you said, LBT is meant for little kids, but older people can appreciate and enjoy it too. Again, thanks.

Bruton the Iguanodon

What do you mean the gang has done enough exploring? You can never do enough exploring! If they were to stop doing so the films would suffer! Nononononono!!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well too much exploring can get repetitive and thus boring. I would like it to see more LBT movies where they don't explore. Just because they don't explore doesn't mean there's no story to tell. An LBT sequel can be interesting without the gang exploring some new land.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ :exactly
Only a few of the movies had a conflict that mainly took place inside the valley itself. The 3rd movie is a prime example. Most of the movie took place inside the valley, with a little bit of the movie taking place outside in the Mysterious Beyond. I enjoyed that movie better than most of the sequels.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah yes I forgot about Land Before Time 3 taking place mostly in the valley.

Didn't you say that LBT 3 was your favorite sequel, Bruton? As I recall, you really enjoyed it and didn't understand why it seemed less liked than other sequels. Well there was no real exploring in that movie, just searching for water inside the valley. They barely went anywhere in the Mysterious Beyond. The movie didn't end up suffering because of the lack of exploration.

Having a movie take place largely inside the valley provides a chance to get to know the valley more. The first sequel took place, as well, almost entirely in the Great Valley. They only left the valley momentarily to stop egg thieves, not to explore. And that movie still did well enough.

Of the 3 original sequels, only one, the 4th, had the gang go somewhere else outside of the valley for much of the film.

Bruton the Iguanodon

You're right. Sorry, guess I got carried away. Glad to see you guys know which ones are my favorites, it really makes me feel appreciated. :)

But there was one film where they didn't go exploring, and it ended up being one of the worst, most nightmarish LBT films---11. God, I hate that one. I don't like 10 but I really hate that one.  :x

And yes, I think 3 actually is my favorite sequel. It's been years since I've seen it, though. I know I've said quite a few times that 4 was my favorite, but...either 3 and 4 are tied, or 3 wins. Cause it didn't have any weak points---"Grandma's lullaby" was always such a damp squid of a song for me, and Tickles takes...an aquired taste to like.  

Still, I'd have him any day over Petrie's imaginary friend  :x

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You're right about that one, however I think it was more of the plot and those insufferable tinysauruses that made that movie less than average.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Yeah, I wasn't saying cause of that it was bad, even.

You know, I love seeing them go adventuring, but to be perfectly honest, I also like when the films stay mostly in the valley. I was just afraid Justin was implying he doesn't think they should ever go exploring again. But yeah, "Time of the Great Giving" stayed in the valley, and it was amazing. So did "Great Valley Adventure", another favorite of mine, although you pretty much can imply that from the title.  :smile

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Personally, I hope Universal or someone else... even Disney takes up LBT and makes something. I feel real attached to the LBT franchise. If I was older, I'd give up everything to help make, fund, participate or direct an LBT movie. But then it also saddens me to think, even if I did go down a movie career, they'd have me do computer animated films (that have no sequels) that don't have as much heart as LBT did, and then, when I'd finally have the money, and recognition for a producer or investor to help me make an LBT film... It would be in my late 30s or 40s... it would be 20-30 years from now... it just makes me so sad :( by the time I ever did make/participate in one, LBT would be like a fading memory, long gone... Charles Grosvenor, Michele Brourman, Michael Tavera, Amanda McBroom, might all be dead.. and the people who voiced the characters would be old. Or very old. and some dead

It makes me so sad! I'd give anything ..

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
If something is done about the series I can see three things happening.

1. It will be a remake of the original film.

2. It will be sequel that hopefully will take the series to the next level and have a storyline that makes sense and won't be anything like the 11th movie and 13th movie.

3. They will continue on with the T.V. Series.

Until then only time will tell with what will happen with the series.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: MC CJ'S REVENGE,Feb 7 2012 on  12:33 PM
If something is done about the series I can see three things happening.

1. It will be a remake of the original film.

2. It will be sequel that hopefully will take the series to the next level and have a storyline that makes sense and won't be anything like the 11th movie and 13th movie.

3. They will continue on with the T.V. Series.

Until then only time will tell with what will happen with the series.
I'd be fine with a remake, as long as it means everyone will see it in theaters, and then the franchise will continue. What's wrong with LBT 11? I thought it was better than the twelvth one. While both were good, the twelvth one kinda felt more like a TV movie. But I agree with you on LBT 13. I heard they had lower budget lol. :(

According to the Universal Studios Animation page on Wikipedia, saying that the TV series was put on hiatus because of Kenneth Mars... makes me wonder if it's on hiatus because they no longer have a well-known person playing a part?

Also, what I don't get, is the page says LBT TV series was from 2007-present, but I thought it was only in like 2007 and 2008? There's only 26 episodes. What's the deal with that?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Probably stemming from the fact that is was never officially cancelled per say, but simply put on hiatus till the end of time. Futurama wasn't officially cancelled either in it's original run. Fox just decided to not buy another season.

And I kinda liked 11 too. It had an interesting conflict (fighting prejudice, and basically putting another kind down), and I liked the tinysaurus characters. 12 just had something about the great day of the flyers, and the "resolution" made absolutely no sense, though Guido was a nice, funny character.

And don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. They made movie 13 without Kenneth Mars, so I don't think he was the reason they didn't continue it. It was most likely because of low viewership (eg: it didn't make much money).
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)