The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The theme tunes of the sequels

Guest · 6 · 971

Bruton the Iguanodon

I know we all love the orchestral "If we hold on together" theme of the original---I sure do! But there's also this themes of the sequels. I'll go through them, just to orgnize it out and rank which ones are the best.

The most famous I call the "Great Valley Theme". It's a beautiful, memorable tune that starts with three notes, then the same 3 notes, followed by six notes, the last three played slower. You first hear this beautiful theme a lot.

Here are some of the times:

1. At the end of 5 upon the return to the great valley. As a kid my heart would just melt upon seeing this. LBT wasn't like other kids shows, which was what made it so special.
2. You also hear it over the credits with choir. It's moves me more then I can possibly explain. I can't find this song (called "The Valley", actually, on itunes  and it's driving me insane! I want it!!)
3. You hear it at the beginning of 5, when we first see the valley.
4. You also hear it in the end credits of 4.
5. Ad when they go home in 6.
6. And, when they leave the island in 5. Sorry, I missed that one.
7. Also, when Littlefoot asks Tickles if he's seen Cera.

Unfortunately the original verison was not played past 6, which is ok, since by that time the "classic era" of LBT was over. Instead we got this:

1. A short take on the theme, which is very optimistic and positive incontrast to the enveloping, pure beauty of the original, plays at the end of 7. Instead of starting with three notes it just shortens it to 1, and then has the three notes, and the final notes are modified.
2. It's also heard at the end of 7's credits
3. at the end of 8,
4. at the end of 8's credits,
5. and finally, at the end of 9.

Though it's not the original, I like this version and think it does a good job of representing the classic LBT theme. And it works---7-9 were after the classic age had ended, but still good, modest LBT movies, espicially 9---it and 5 are of tied on which could be the end, and are pretty much tied on how I feel about them.  :smile

6. Even a similar one appears at the end of 10, sounding even more optimistic, but it's not the version previously mentioned, and it's in a different key; this is suiting, since 10 was after the age of the good, modest LBT films; it was the film the ushered in the final era of the series---the crappy era in which everything was being overdone.   <_<

7. Additionally, the one from 7-9 appears at the end of film 12...

but it's...cheesily shortened, so instead of giving that good, positive impression the 7-9 version did...it just leaves a cheesy one. Lame.

Anyways, this theme was the theme of the sequels, like IWHOT was the theme of movie 1. IWHOT still is played a lot, though.  ;)

The "Sharptooth chase" theme. Happened a few times. It's a jaws-like suspense that played...
1. during the swimming sharptooth chase in 5 (I sure love that scene!)
2. when Littlefoot and Chomper think Elsie is a swimming sharptooth,
3. when Cera accidentally breaks the tooth of saurus rock,
4. when the allosaurus is coming across the log,
5. and finally, from what I recall, when the stone explodes in 7. I don't remember it playing beyond that, though.

A rather awkward, clumsy theme that I first remember playing when Chomper's parents appear in 5, and again when during the "you're safe with us" exchange at the end. So I'll call it the "Chomper's parents" theme. I know it played in at least 1 other film, but I can't recall which...

"Bestest friends" became the sort of instrumental theme to 10, possibly due to 9 being the last film James Horner's old score was ever included in.  :cry

"No one has to be alone" became an instrumental theme for 9, actually. It was played twice---first, during Littlefoot's talk with his grandparents, and finally, at the end of the movie. It's one of the most beautiful pieces of music in the LBT franchise, and it's also driving me insane that it's not on itunes.  <_<

Anyways, I can't really think of any others. There are breif snippets of music,, and a few unmemorable themes, but this is mostly it. There are a few more I might put on here. I just hope it doesn't get taken off like my last music analysis (which I spent a ridicously hard time researching)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The Great Valley Theme, as you call it, is my favourite theme of the sequels as well.  :exactly

To add to your list, the theme also plays when Elsie picks up the Gang to take them to land.

You know, when I hear it at the end of 5 I feel as if that was supposed to be the end of LBT. The same way you feel about 9.

Bruton the Iguanodon

You know, when I hear it at the end of 5 I feel as if that was supposed to be the end of LBT. The same way you feel about 9.

You know, I'd being lying if I said I didn't think 5 would work just as well as 9---it's the last of the classics. I feel a little bad for underating 5, which could work just as well as 9. It and 9 pretty much tie as films in my opinion. The one thing that's different is that 5 had the ability to be like---the best sequel. I mean, at this point, they had yet to change animation, had yet to include CGI, and yet to include a really weak film. The beginning and end are perfect, and most of the first half of the film is great, too. It's the 25 or so minutes that Chomper is onscreen...where things sort of flop. Which is really sad, cause they came so close! :boohoo

But yes, I know exactly how you feel about 5, and thik it and 9 could have both worked as the end. It's just, 9 seemed even better, for some reason.

OK, I also just remebered there is another tune, used since 3, that's this beautiful tune played in the key of F major. There are 2 versions: an orchestral one and a more sparse instrumental one.

The orchestral one played 5 times I can remember: at the end of the credits of 3, when they say goodbye to Ali in 4, when Grandpa shakes the leaves off the tree for the kids to eat in 5, when Chomper brings the gang food in 5, and finally at the end of 5 it starts when Grandma says "Without you kids we never would have found this beautiful place!"

The sparsely instrumental version  played 5 times too: when Ducky escapes the sharptooth flyer in 5, when Elsie is taking the gang back to shore in the same film, at the end of the credits in 6, when Littlefoot first hears Mo in 9 and goes out to investigate, and when Littlefoot is mourning Mo's supposed death in the same film. Sadly, it did not get used beyond here. I suppose, like Horner's score, it was just too good to keep.  ;)

I'm not even sure what to call it. I think I'll just call it "The time of the great giving" theme, if that's ok.

And by the way, I want this song too, and can't get it off itunes!  <_<

There's also a really sweet, energetic theme that uses a modified take on "The Valley". It happens when the gang runs to the big water in 5, and when Spike is hopping across the pilars in 6...and that's all I can think of for now. If I can think of any more I'll put it on here!

Oh yes, and when they go and look around at all the green food on the island in 5.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
From Michael Tavera's website:

http://www.michaeltavera.com/audio/mp3player.php?id=107

There is the Great Valley Theme I believe you were speaking of. :) Its not bad....definitely repeated often in the series, sometimes too much.  You could always expect when to hear it.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Nonetheless I love it and it's truly nostalgia's theme, in my mind.   ;)

I just wish I could get it on itunes.

Bruton the Iguanodon

From Michael Tavera's website:

http://www.michaeltavera.com/audio/mp3player.php?id=107

There is the Great Valley Theme I believe you were speaking of.  Its not bad....definitely repeated often in the series, sometimes too much. You could always expect when to hear it.

Thanks for putting it right here!    :)

Oh, and they can never play it too much, in my opinion!  It's that good! :D

Oh, do you know where I can find the instrumental version of "No one has to be alone" from the end of 9? It's soooooo beautiful! too!! :wub