The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Eterneian Chronicles

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, so I finally got up the nerve to post these stories I've written, ad this is the first of them.  It's the backstory of my favorite Spyro fancharacter, Haru Kurohi.

Here's the Prologue

Legend of Spyro:  Eterneian Chronicles 1:  The Fiery Windó Haru Kurohi
Chapter 0:  PrologueóThe Era Rises

It is an age of Chaos.  With the seeming death of Spyro, and the rise of Malafor, it seems as though the darkness has won.  But even in the darkest of times, light lives on.  Deep in the ruins of the Dragon Temple, a group has risen that seeks to oppose Malafor and his generals.  Mainly consisting of young dragons whose families were slaughtered in the Purges, its numbers grow by the day.   It is here that the young drake, Haru Kurohi learned the way of the warrior, and here that his legend will begin…

And Chapter 1...

Chapter 1:  A Troubling Dream

I stand before the ruins of the Well of Souls, as though I’m waiting for something.  As my eyes begin to search the devastation, I begin to hear a voice calling my name.  I follow the voice, finally coming to a rest near a large dome of rubble, where I see a point of light shining forth.  Moving quickly, I move some of the rubble, and my breath catches in my throat.  Underneath the rubble and ruin lie Spyro, Cynder, and Sparx, trapped in some kind of glowing amber crystal.  As if guided by instinct, I step forwards and place my hand on the crystal.  A sharp cracking noise can be heard, and light fills the cavern before…

I sat up with a start.  Was that a dream?  Though most would simply brush it off as childish fantasy, it seemed too real to be a simple dream.  It felt more like…A prophecy, or some omen.  While I knew that Lord Spyro, Lady Cynder, and Sparx had disappeared at the Well, was it possible that they had survived?  With this thought drifting about my mind, I tried vainly to fall back asleep.  Failing to do so, I made a mental decision to go and speak with the Council the next day.  Finally, after several minutes, I drifted off into a dreamless slumber, letting the world pass me by.

The next morning came soon, and I once again sat up in my simple bed.  I looked around at the chamber I called my own, taking stock of my possessions, then proceeded to stand up and prepare for the day to come.  Slowly, I walked over to my wardrobe, opened it, and pulled out my outfit.  Quickly discarding my sleepwear, I proceeded to dress.  First to go on was the black and red hakama leggings, then the matched haori top.  Finally, I tied the black sash around my waist, grabbed my sword, and opened the door, stepping out into the corridor of our hidden fortress.  The Eterneians had moved here after the Scourings of Malafor, seeking shelter from his marauding armies.  Many of our defenders were young dragons whose parents had been lost.  Moving down the hall, I mentally prepared myself for my meeting with the Counselors.  When I arrived at their door, I knocked sharply three times, then waited for a response.  Finally, a voice from the other side of the door called…

“You may enter…”

I pushed the door aside, moving silently to the center of the room before looking up at the Council.  Sage Ignitus, Wise Kaien, and Decisive Inari returned my look with ones of their own, then Kaien spoke.

“Haru Kurohi.  Why have you come here?  Do you have information for us?”

I nodded, then spoke…

“That I do, Esteemed Counselors.  I have had what may be a vision that shows that Lord Spyro and Lady Cynder are alive.  If this vision is to be believed, then they are trapped in a sort of crystal within the ruins of the Well of Souls.  I would request that you at least allow me to go out and search for them.”

After I finished speaking, I bowed my head and waited for the Council’s judgment. After a few tense moments, Inari spoke.

“A mere dream is nothing to base such a decision on.  We cannot allow you to leave with such weak evidence.”

Ignitus nodded, adding…

“Inari is right, Haru.  With as few forces as we have right now, allowing you to leave is a risk we cannot take.  I’m sorry.”

As Ignitus finished speaking, I placed my hand over my heart, then bowed to them, and left the room.  As I paced down the hall back to my chambers, a bold, reckless plan began to take shape in my mind.  If they would not allow me to leave, then I would simply have to sneak out and pursue my vision on my own.  

When I returned to my chamber, I seated myself at my desk and looked at the pictures that adorned both it and the wall behind it.  Many of these showed myself and Lady Cynder together.  We were very much alike, she and I.  We both shared the same hatchday, and we both had served together under Malafor.  Seeing her in my dream had only strengthened my resolve to find them, and to bring them home…

The rest of the day passed in anxious boredom, and as night fell, I placed the sealed envelope containing the letter I had written to the Council onto my pillow, then silently grabbed my armor and began to don it.  First were the greaves, which I quickly sealed over my thighs.  Then came the Cuirass, which fit securely onto my torso, followed by my pauldrons on my shoulders and my fauld over my hips.  My gauntlets were next, followed by my boots.  The last thing I donned was my helm, concealing my face completely.  Then came my weapons.  Across my back, I slung my nodachi, the Monohoshizao.  Then I strapped my daggers into the backs of my gauntlets, securing them with leather straps.  Finally, I grabbed my Katana, my bow, and my quiver, then wrapped my cloak around myself to conceal them.  Without so much as a backwards glance, I was outside of our fortress, spreading my wings and taking flight into the darkness of the night…

Chapter 2...

Chapter 2:  The Black Paladin

That same dream again.  But this time, as the crystal begins to shatter, a dark presence rises behind me.  As I turn, my vision is met by a dragon.  But this one was unlike any others of my people.  This one was massive, cloaked in a shroud of shadow.  It opens its mouth to roar at me, and I step back in fear as the darkness takes me…

Once again, I started awake.  The dreams that had first driven me to leave the temple and search for Lord Spyro and Lady Cynder had become…troubling as of late.  Each night, the black-shrouded dragon became more and more of a presence.  Was it an omen?  Was some malevolent force seeking to harm them?  I sat up, gathering my cloak about myself again before setting out onto the road before me.  I had been traveling for close to a week now, and was beginning to run low on provisions.  I decided that I would have to stop at the next settlement I came across. Thinking this, I again spread my ebony wings and took to the sky, the sun shining crimson through the membranes.  

I flew for several hours with no signs of life within sight before I saw it.  A village ahead of me, fires lit for what I hoped was the afternoon meal.  I landed some distance off from the settlement, walking in on foot to avoid startling the villagers.  But from the moment I set foot inside, I knew something was wrong.  Almost immediately, I was surrounded by a group of male felines armed with spears, and as I held my hands in a gesture of peace, was disarmed.  They placed shackles on me, and I was led before someone who was known as “Kagemura.”  As I was led through the dusty streets, women and children stared angrily at me from doorways and windows of their simple houses.  At long last, we reached a courtyard, and I was roughly forced to my knees before a makeshift throne.  A voice then spoke, though I could not find the source, since my head was being held down by one of the guard’s feet.  

“Who is this you bring before me?”  The voice asked, sounding somewhat irate, most likely at the sudden interruption.  

“Lord Kagemura, we have captured him.  He was entering our village, likely trying to kill more of our people and take others hostage.  Requesting permission to execute him, sire.”  One of my captors said, anger and rage ringing in his voice.  Who was this person who had been causing the trouble?  And why did they want him dead so badly?

“Let me see his face.  Then we will decide.”  Kagemura said.  I found my head being roughly tugged upward, then my helmet being torn off.  As my vision cleared, I found myself staring into the face of a large, older lion.  He scrutinized me for a moment, and then turned to one of the guards, yelling…

“You Fools!  This is not the man!  You have apprehended an innocent traveler!”
A moment later, the guards surrounding me backed away, and I rose to my feet, brushing the dust off my hakama.  The lion, Kagemusha looked me in the eye, then bowed faintly, apologizing…

“You have my sincerest apologies, traveler.  It is just that in these times, we have been ravaged by a warrior wearing similar armor to yours.  He calls himself the “Black Paladin”, and he serves Malafor, the Dark Master.  He comes every so often, killing any he chooses, and capturing several women, who are never heard from again.  My name is Kagemusha.  Might I inquire who you are?”

I returned his bow, then replied…
“Haru.  Haru Kurohi at your service.  It’s an honor to make your acquaintance.  Tell me more about this “Black Paladin”.  Does anyone know where he comes from?  Or why he attacks here?”  I asked, retrieving my helm and my armaments from a nearby guard…

“He attacks under orders of Malafor.  We of this village harbor those who oppose his rule, so he sends his pet to annihilate us.  He…”

Just then, a messenger ran up to us, kneeling…
“He is come, Lord Kagemusha!  He nears the gate as we speak!”

Kagemusha became stone-faced, then turned to me, eyes set as hard as flints.  
“Haru.  Take the villagers and go.  I will hold him off here.  Do not…”

I cut him off, saying...
“No. You take the villagers and escape.  I’ll hold him off.  I was trained by the best.  I’m with Eterneia.”

Kagemusha seemed startled for a moment, then nodded at me, saying…  
“Alright then.  Stay alive, young Haru.  I hope we can meet again,” before running off to lead the evacuation.  I turned and ran towards the gate, drawing my sword as I did so.  As I stood there, sword held ready, the gate seemed to explode off its hinges, showering me with dust and debris.  Standing before me was the man called the “Black Paladin”.  His armor did indeed resemble mine, save for the darker tint and the crest on his helmet.  In his right hand, he held a wicked-looking long sword, and he protected himself with a large shield held in his left hand.  He looked over the village, then saw me and laughed.

“This is the best defense this pathetic village can manage?  A boy?  Perhaps I should have been merciful and destroyed it long ago.” He cackled, glaring at me through his visor…

“Don’t think I’m just a boy.  You won’t know what hit you by the time I’m done!”
I retorted, pointing my blade squarely at him…

Then we charged…

And finally, Chapter 3...

Chapter 3: To Malafor

The Black Paladin raced at me, and I him, each of us intent on ending the fight in one swift blow.  We slid past each other, blades meeting in a flurry of sparks.  As we skidded to a halt, each felt a blow strike home.  My left gauntlet now bore a long slash along its width, while his cuirass now was marked with an X across its center.  The pair of us turned to face each other, each feeling threatened by the others power.  For a moment, neither of us moved, sizing each other up, anticipating the others next move, and savoring the excitement of facing a strong foe.  After what seemed to me an interminable pause, the Black Paladin rushed me, shield first. I leapt over him, swinging my blade at the apex of my jump, hoping to strike him in the head.  Just before my blade would have cleaved his helm in twain, his sword intercepted mine, and sparks flew as he deflected the blow.  I finished my flip, landing near where I had begun the fight.  This time, I charged him, drawing several daggers from my arm holsters and flinging them at his head. He raised his shield, and I saw my opportunity.  I slid low to the ground, ducking under his shield, then rose swiftly into the air with a vicious uppercut.  The Black Paladin flew into the air with my fist, but quickly recovered his balance to land on his feet a few inches away.  He turned, amused, then raised his sword in what appeared to be a salute.  Before I could react, he had vanished, and I heard his voice echoing around me.

“I haven’t had that much fun in a long while.  But I have no more time to play with you.  I have to see to my master’s wish.  Perhaps we’ll meet again…Haru…”

I froze.  How did this servant of Malafor know my name?  Trying to shake the feeling of unease that now hung over me; I turned towards the ruins of the mountain, and once again took flight.  It would take another few days to reach it at my current pace, and so I looped back to the village to find provisions.  As I touched down, I was surprised to see a small stack, just large enough for my purposes, sitting next to Kagemusha’s throne.  Attached was a note that read…

Haru,

If you are reading this, that means that you succeeded in repelling the Black Paladin.  This is a small token of our villages’ thanks.  May what gods there are watch over you.  

Good Luck in whatever your quest is.
Kagemusha.

I read the letter over twice, then folded it carefully and placed it in my belt pouch.  Gathering the provisions, I turned back towards my goal and flew towards it at moderate speeds.  Even as far as I was, I felt excitement and fear about what I would find inside the ruins.  

Fire.
The temple burns before me.  I try to run to save my friends, but some strange force holds me back, keeps me from looking away.  Instead, I have to hear the screams and see the tortured expressions of those inside the temple walls as they burn to death.  Laughter.  The dragon from my other dreams, and the Black Paladin stand there.  I lunge, only to be pierced through by a sword.  I fall, hearing the laughter of the darkness.
Shadow.

I sit up from where I had bedded for the night.  Something was wrong at the Temple Ruins. But I had come so far towards my goal that I decided to press on.  Whatever was assailing the temple would be easier bested with a group.  Quickly gathering my belongings, I again took wing, drawing ever nearer to my goal.  As I neared the foothills around the area, though, an arrow flew from the woods below and pierced my right wing.  I fell, wounded into the forest, where a small band of apes surrounded me, weapons drawn.  I reached for the Monohoshizao, and in moments, slew the band.  Realizing that that meant there were more apes in the vicinity, I bandaged my wing, then set off running towards the mountain, careful to avoid detection.  Several days travel saw me at the entrance to the ruined mountain fortress.   I looked at the gate, then pushed it open before stepping into the darkness’s maw…

That's all for now, but the next chapter is already in the works!

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I like it. You should do two things.
  • First, you should continue to work on it. It is a good fan-fiction, and I would like to see more of it.
  • Second, you should make a FF.net account and post it there as well. Then others who aren't on this forum will be able to read it.