The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 175611

Bruton the Iguanodon

Alright, can anyone who has the book list all the scenes that are exclusive to it? No one's really done this yet; I mean I know scenes that there's evidence to having been produced have been described as being in the book, like luring Spike with the berries, but I'd like to know all there is, even if it didn't make the final cut. Like, are there more scenes of them traveling to the valley? I think there probably is, seeing as we don't even have our main cast fully together until more then halfway into the film. Someone should do this.

3. While it made good sense for Littlefoot to be despaired and downhearted after the quarrel with Cera it can come across a bit strange that in the movie as we know it he happens to be so hopeless right after succeeding in getting rid of sharptooth and the rescue of Petrie.

I couldn't possibly for the life of me agree with you more. God, I hate how that goes in the version we know---I feel like screaming at him "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SAD AND HOPELESS? IF IT MKAES YOU HAPPY...WHY THE HELL RU SO SAD?!" The answer? Cause that scene doesn't even take place then. And it never should have!!! If this moment had taken place in the original context, I would have felt so sorry for poor Littlefoot, because that's how the viewer is the supposed to feel at the moment. As it currently stands it's one of those "If it makes you  happy" moments. And I'm...not...likin' it.

I want the freaking original! It seems like every time we're in reach of the original cut it just slips away! Are we ever going to get it?!

Perhaps it is a good thing these scenes have been cut. Not for the sake of the movie but because it has given us sort of a "holy grail" the strive for which (along with the ocasional findings of images or clips from cut scenes) may in fact be more important and more rewarding to us LBT fans than an ultimate finding of all these materials would turn out to be.

It's given us more then a "holy grail"---it's given us a great freakin' valley!!!

Does anyone know if there was another rain sequence in the original cut? I love LBT'S rain sequences, at least the ones in the earlier films. But 1 has 2 rain sequences already (when Littlefoot's egg is about to hatch and when his mother dies) and really the only other one to have 2 rain sequences is 9 (which has 3, although the second one is pretty brief) so I guess I'm greedy. But since 9 should have been the end, it and the original being the only LBT films to have multiple rain sequences is fitting.  ;)  So we need 1 more in 1 to even it out.
Really, I'd like to know the specifics of what was cut. I mean we know there's Spike and the berries, the extended mom fighting sharptooth, Littlefoot finding the valley on his own, and the oasis scene, but there's gotta be more then that. I want more specific info then just "scenes of the gang in great peril"----like what? Scenes of them being chased by Sharptooth? Being chased by some other scary creature? I always feel like screaming "WHAT, EXACTLY?!

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Dec 30 2011 on  03:49 PM
Alright, can anyone who has the book list all the scenes that are exclusive to it? ....

Do you mean the Illustrated Story book? Why don't you buy your own copy for some Cent at f.e. Ebay or Amazon?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The scenes of this and other (foreign language) books are all posted in this very thread.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Not all of them.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...wtopic=242.0

The movie itselfs doesn't tell anything about the origin of the name, yet there is one LBT book printed in Germany which gives a little story about how Littlefoot got his name.
According to that book Littlefoot's grandfather placed his huge foot beside Littlefoot's tiny foot right after Littlefoot hatched and said: "Look how small his feet are! One of my toes is bigger than one of his feet!"
So Littlefoot's mother decided to call her son Littlefoot. I do not know if there was any such idea from the moviemakers, or if it was just an idea of the author of that book. But either way I think it's a nice and plausible story.

Nowhere was this scene listed in the list of scenes that were cut or appeared in the book. So there's got to be more. I don't want to go waste money on buying the whole book when people here already have it.

Here's another quote I found from a book in a topic that had nothing to do with cut scenes:

The picture presented in "The land before time - The illustrated story" is a different one. This is what it says (no translation but English original this time):
"I knew it was you all along!" she said.
Littefoot grinned at her.
"You did?" said Ducky. "But you were screaming so loud."
"I was only acting," Cera shot back. "I wanted those scaly-skins to come come into the cave so I could attack them!"
"Nope, nope, nope," Ducky said shaking her head.
"Oh get out of my way!" Cera yelled. But as she tried to stalk out of the cave, she stuck to the tar monster.
"We really together now!" said Ducky, giggling.
"Yeah, Cera," said Littlefoot. "Now we have to stick together."
And the whole group loughed.
That made Cera madder than ever. Pulling herself free, she cried out, "Oh, shut up. I hate all of you! I don't ever want to see any of you again, ever!"
With that, she stomped out of the cave into the darkness. As she marched away her eyes filled with tears. She really didn't mean what she had said. It was just that her pride had been hurt. She looked around, half expecting them to come after her. But they didn't, and her heart sank a little.
A heavy rain started to fall, washing the tar off Littlefoot and the others. "Let her go," he said. "If she doesn't want to come back, there's nothing we can do." The others sadly had to agree.

The most interesting part is the "heavy rain falling". Why? I thought they were in a cave. Is it possible we could have a rain sequence #3 in movie 1?

But anyways I would very much like to know all that's in the book that's not in the movie.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 9 2012 on  08:28 PM
Not all of them.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...wtopic=242.0

The movie itselfs doesn't tell anything about the origin of the name, yet there is one LBT book printed in Germany which gives a little story about how Littlefoot got his name.
According to that book Littlefoot's grandfather placed his huge foot beside Littlefoot's tiny foot right after Littlefoot hatched and said: "Look how small his feet are! One of my toes is bigger than one of his feet!"
So Littlefoot's mother decided to call her son Littlefoot. I do not know if there was any such idea from the moviemakers, or if it was just an idea of the author of that book. But either way I think it's a nice and plausible story.

Nowhere was this scene listed in the list of scenes that were cut or appeared in the book. So there's got to be more. I don't want to go waste money on buying the whole book when people here already have it.

Here's another quote I found from a book in a topic that had nothing to do with cut scenes:

The picture presented in "The land before time - The illustrated story" is a different one. This is what it says (no translation but English original this time):
"I knew it was you all along!" she said.
Littefoot grinned at her.
"You did?" said Ducky. "But you were screaming so loud."
"I was only acting," Cera shot back. "I wanted those scaly-skins to come come into the cave so I could attack them!"
"Nope, nope, nope," Ducky said shaking her head.
"Oh get out of my way!" Cera yelled. But as she tried to stalk out of the cave, she stuck to the tar monster.
"We really together now!" said Ducky, giggling.
"Yeah, Cera," said Littlefoot. "Now we have to stick together."
And the whole group loughed.
That made Cera madder than ever. Pulling herself free, she cried out, "Oh, shut up. I hate all of you! I don't ever want to see any of you again, ever!"
With that, she stomped out of the cave into the darkness. As she marched away her eyes filled with tears. She really didn't mean what she had said. It was just that her pride had been hurt. She looked around, half expecting them to come after her. But they didn't, and her heart sank a little.
A heavy rain started to fall, washing the tar off Littlefoot and the others. "Let her go," he said. "If she doesn't want to come back, there's nothing we can do." The others sadly had to agree.

The most interesting part is the "heavy rain falling". Why? I thought they were in a cave. Is it possible we could have a rain sequence #3 in movie 1?

But anyways I would very much like to know all that's in the book that's not in the movie.
There is no evidence to support that either of these are altered or deleted scenes from the movie.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I know, I just find it interesting and would like to see what else is in the book.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Another airing coming up on the 24th this month...

And apparently it would be highly possible to salvage at least some kind of image from the tape (even multiple times overrecorded tapes are possible), but that requires professional equipment and of course any professional service isn't going to take a tape that contains a TV recording  :bang

Bruton the Iguanodon

Well, try to tape it and see if it's uncut. Fingers crossed!  :D

Bruton the Iguanodon

Anyways, for now can someone please make a list of the scenes in the book that aren't in the movie? I'm really curious about all there is.

Bruton the Iguanodon

When I was a kid, a cartoon was a cartoon. No matter how dark it was. I enjoyed them all. I didn't cry when Littlefoot's mother died, nor did I even worry about anything being "racist."

Neither did I, really! Glad to see I wasn't alone!  :smile

This could suggest that there was another scene here - perhaps we actually saw Littlefoot leading the others up the hill and through the tunnel?

We didn't. But yes, that would had to have been shown. Just wish I could see it.  :anger

*A longer version of the fight between Sharptooth and Momma Longneck - at least nineteen seconds worth of additional fight music appears on the soundtrack, yet we know the scene to be longer. (S, D)
*Possibly an extension of the "Berry Scene" - the soundtrack goes on fairly intensely for nine seconds. (S)
*A scene where the others find Spike sleeping after eating the plants surrounding his egg. Cera attempts to convince them to abandon him, but they ignore her. Ducky then lures him along with berries on a stick. (S? N? P)
*A scene where the GOF encounters an oasis inhabited by two rivalling factions of Dinosaurs, who refuse to share their food or water with one another, out of racism. Cera acknowledges such prejudice to be foolish. (N)
*Possibly an extension of the GOF eating the Green Food obtained from the tree. (P, V)
*The original ending scene - Littlefoot finding the Great Valley, leaping through the waters of the waterfall, then turning back to rescue the others from the Mountains That Burn. (S, N? P, D?)
*An extension of the scene in the lake, where they plan to kill Sharptooth to prevent him wreaking havoc in the Great Valley. (S, N)
*A short scene where Ducky makes faces at Sharptooth from the lake. (P, V)
*A brief scene where the others realise Petrie has survived the fall with Sharptooth, before all heading up towards the Great Valley. (S? P)
*A short scene taking place after the characters hug one another, where Littlefoot states “Now we’ll always be together.” (V)

OK---there has GOT  to be more then this.

No one has listed the scenes exclusive to the book, such as Grandpa Longneck's line after Littlefoot hatches and the scene in the rain as the watch Cera go to be by herself, and whatever else anyone has neglected to list. But we don't know if these were real.

Nonethless, we do know there was a lot of scenes of our beloved gang in peril---but what? I'm very distraught.

In the version we know the whole gang doesn't even end up together till more then halfway through. I'd like another rain sequence (I know I'm obsessed) and more night sequences, but as far as those go I can only speculate. We know precious little about the deleted material. But what we do know I love the sound of. I love the idea of Littlefoot finding the valley on his own after the fight with Cera...and then turning back to save the others. I love the sound of the berry scene and the oasis scene, as bland as they sound. I love the sounds of the extended Sharptooth fight scenes---he got too little screentime in the version we know. I looooove the sound of a scene where everyone---not just Ducky---sees Petrie is OK, and then head to the Great Valley. And lastly, I love Littlefoot's last line, "Now We'll always be together." Why did these have to be destroyed? How can I possibly except the fact that we'll never see them? How can I except the original film for the way it currently is? I simply---can't! I need these scenes. I hope everyone else on the forum cares as much about someday finding these possibly existing scenes as I do.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Oh, here's one more thing.

Given the fact that the movie was one of the shortest of its kind already, that kids would hardly be scared by a scene about a sleeping dinosaur being lured to come along by a branch of berries (a scene by the way that gave further foundation to Spike's later adoption), that images of the scene were used for the display of cinema showcases, and that the next scene in the movie does show Ducky luring Spike on with the branch I seriously don't know why they felt they had to cut the scene 

It's likely they wanted to tone down the "racism" in the movie, as cera didn't want spike to come along. I can't think of other reason.

Ok, that explains why the Spike scene was cut, but why was the extension of them harvesting green food cut?  :crazy

Blaze

• Ruby
    • View Profile
didn't one of the Finnish guys on here say that some tv company he'd contacted had a copy of one of the early runs (slightly longer than 69 mins but not as long as the original FULL length one that got chopped)?   :blink:

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Everything you need to know about the missing scenes, including where they might (emphasis on might) be found, is right here in this thread. Just read from the beginning. And make notes. Lots of info. ;)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Bruton, all the information is in this thread if you start from page 1. ;)  Please stop asking for compiled information...just read.  Its there.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Given the fact that the movie was one of the shortest of its kind already, that kids would hardly be scared by a scene about a sleeping dinosaur being lured to come along by a branch of berries (a scene by the way that gave further foundation to Spike's later adoption), that images of the scene were used for the display of cinema showcases, and that the next scene in the movie does show Ducky luring Spike on with the branch I seriously don't know why they felt they had to cut the scene 

It's likely they wanted to tone down the "racism" in the movie, as cera didn't want spike to come along. I can't think of other reason.

Ok, that explains why the Spike scene was cut, but why was the extension of them harvesting green food cut?

No one has explained this, which is driving me insane.

Bruton the Iguanodon

It still is!  :confused

This scene, if you know what I'm talking about (I think the picture for it is on the first page) was cut, yet why would kids be scared of seeing the main cast eating their green food? No one's bothered to question this, so I guess it's up to me. Any ideas?!!!  :confused

Here's a pic for referece. I love Petrie's sarcastic expression.  :lol  Such a shame this was cut, espicially considering how "uscary" it looks!  :confused

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^I really don't know, Bruton.

Any news about the airing Pikkutassu?

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Jan 24 2012 on  11:35 AM
^I really don't know, Bruton.

Any news about the airing Pikkutassu?
Edit: tossu has the channels on antenna, so he can't see any airings from the channel before 8pm and it always airs well before 6... :neutral  And since it highly likely is a new HD widescreen version theres no sense in making any investments here... gotta just wait for airing on the main channel.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I'm still very much wanting to know why this scene was cut.

We've already covered why the Spike scene was cut:

But why did they cut out this scene? Why would kids be scared by them sitting around their pile of green food? Does anybody but me actually care about this scene? Cause I'm sure I've seen a version of it on display at Cinema showcases, and guess what?

We have previously seen the LBT trailer which includes an outcut scene of Ducky hugging Littlefoot and Spike after they harvested the food from the top of the tree by climbing onto each other. This picture suggests that there was an even more elaborate scene cut from this part of the movie. The picture is definitely genuine, as it was included in a file issued to the press back in 1988. I apologize for the poor quality. Our scanner is not working at the moment (I had scanned other pictures in this thread earlier) so I could just take a photograph of the image which didn't turn out too well due to the reflecting surface of the image. The press file also included a colored version of this scene, but only as a slide picture which I cannot scan properly
As for the content of this scene we can only guess with less obvious possibilities than in case of the previous picture.

Can anyone at least guess? It looks like a really good scene! I loooove Petrie's sarcastic expression---Spike is my favorite of the group for most of the series, but in the earlier films it was Petrie.  :smile

Oh, and Malte, I think you should remove the link to the Sharptooth's death pic---I never would have seen it had I not looked at that page again.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
But why did they cut out this scene? Why would kids be scared by them sitting around their pile of green food? Does anybody but me actually care about this scene?
As I said multiple times before, we do not have access to any source of information not shared on this page. We are not maliciously withholding information from you. The best one can say is that obviously such a scene would not have been cut because it was considered scary (you figured that much out yourself). We can say no more than that it was cut because somebody (Spielberg, Lucas or less likely Bluth) decided to have it cut. We don't KNOW why! But this does not mean we don't care, we are simply accepting the reality that we don't know.
Oh, and Malte, I think you should remove the link to the Sharptooth's death pic---I never would have seen it had I not looked at that page again.
And how would removing the link make it any more likely for it to be seen?