The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I Will Chase Them!

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Every good movie needs an opposing force for the antagonist. Yet at the same time, there should be a valid reason for the antagonist to be there other than, well, simply to be there. Ursula from The Little Mermaid stuck around because she wanted to seize King Triton’s throne and power. The queen from Snow White kept up because she wanted to be the fairest in the land. The wicked stepmother of Cinderella didn’t give up because she wanted one of her flesh and blood daughters married to a prince. So… Why exactly did the sharptooth from the first movie pursue the kids the entire time? I think it’s a topic for discussion, and I have prepared a list of possibilities, some serious, some more for entertainment, as to what fueled his continuing presence.

He is lazy. He prefers hunting kids for food because they take little to no work.

He has had bad experiences with fighting adults, so he tries to only hunt dinosaurs that can cause him no harm (or so he thinks).

He likes the taste of young meat best.

He had a dream that the kids would ruin the series by joining up with a herd of yellowbellies, so he did everything in his power to destroy the kids before they destroyed The Land Before Time.

He has a family that he loves very much, so he decided to live a safe life by only hunting things that can’t put up a fight to ensure his kids or wife would not suffer a loss.

He is sadistic so enjoys the sensation of making children scream in terror.

He is obsessive. When he tried hunting a prey, he does not give up.

He was jealous that writers gave the kids names and not him, so he sought revenge.

He thought to himself, “Ah! Those kids are so cute, I could just eat them right up!” However, unlike humans, he was being literal.

Giving up on or losing prey would make him feel badly about himself, because sharpteeth who fail at a hunt appear weak.

He heard the writers planning to make the kids sing in the sequels, so he was trying to do the world a favor.

Those kids were the only prey he could find that weren’t guarded by several adults, so they seemed the only logical food to pursue.

He was simply trying to look scary in front of the camera and had no intention of actually eating them at all.

The super Mario brothers came to this prehistoric world through a warp pipe, following Bowser who had kidnapped the princess again and thought he would be safe from those meddling plumbers in dinosaur land. However, they caught up with him, and there was a fierce battle between the koopa king and the two Italian plumbers, and Bowser accidentally shot a fire ball at the original sharptooth’s tail, singeing it slightly. When the angry dinosaur turned around to see who burned him, Bowser pointed to Littlefoot and Cera and said, “Uh, they did it!”

And that is all I can think of at three o’clock in the morning. Anyone else is more than welcome to throw out what he or she thinks that guy’s vendetta was, or remark at something I’ve said. I hope this wasn’t a waste of thread space. Sorry if it was.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say that he's actively pursuing them, more that he keeps running into them while searching for the herds, and decides to go after them.

When he first appears, he's just a random threat - a nameless Sharptooth that Littlefoot and Cera fear for obvious reasons. Then the earthquake occurs and he ends up at the bottom of the crevasse, while the various herds in the area are split and scattered.

When Sharptooth woke up, chances are he started looking for food, and happened upon the GOF by coincidence. Alternatively, Sharptooth followed Cera's scent to the GOF, in hopes of eventually finding a pack of Herbivores in the barren surroundings. Remember, Littlefoot wandered aimlessly in the desert for a while, and only ran into Rooter and a small family of pterosaurs (not counting the character who took the berry). A random herd of longnecks barged through an area at one point, but didn't linger long. The area would have been devoid of, shall we say, food for Sharptooth, save for the corpses of those not so lucky in the earthquake.

After the GOF escaped him at the mountain wall, Sharptooth may have kept following them for lack of anything else to eat. I doubt any herds would be moving in to a barren area, especially after an earthquake decimated things - remember the fleeing herds would warn them of the danger as they passed them. Again, Sharptooth may have assumed that sooner or later he'd find food, and at this point, the GOF would be a meal to sate his hunger until he found more.

By the end, Sharptooth has caught the scent of the Great Valley, as well as the various herds that have entered. His final attack on the kids was likely just revenge, or perhaps he (rather sensibly) assumed that he could easily deal with the juvenile herbivores and then enter the valley. Alternatively, perhaps he leant too far after Ducky, and fell into the lake, whereupon he attacked the GOF as an enemy.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ What he said. It appeared to be coincidence that the kids kept running into Sharptooth...not that he actively sought them out.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
:lol @ The Friendly Sharptooth. I'll add some more.

He is trying to get even with Littlefoot. He wants to stick a thorn into his eye. Eye for eye, you know.

He heard the writers whispering about a sharptooth speaking Leaf and hanging out with the Gang. He was horrified at the idea, so he tried to preserve the cosmic order by eating our five heroes.

He is a good chum, but he has two personalities, and when life gets hard enough the "evil" one takes over to ensure his survival. That could explain the determination in searching for the Gang.

He is a good athlete that craves for public attention, and since he lives in a wasteland he tries to show off to the only public available. Unfortunately, his public relations skills are so poor he can make himself look bad paying for a sick child's operation, so the kids got the wrong idea.

He is collecting new species for his zoo. He puts them in a stonewall pen with some greenfood and blocks the only entrance with a large rock. Unfortunately, no specimens reach adult age. Hunger eventually overcomes scientific curiosity.

The Gang were literaly the only food dozens of kilometres around, so beggars can't be choosers.

He follows the Gang so Pterano can sign him an autogram. The writters have to devise a ridiciously complex plot to give this whim of the producer at least some plausibility.

He must eat the Gang to prevent a time travel paradox.

But on a more serious note, Almaron pretty much nailed it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I do believe that the reason he keeps going after the kids is because Littlefoot hit one of his eyes with a thorn vine, even though it was an accident. The book makes this vendetta more clear. In the movie, they didn't do a good job at making the eye look damaged, with it being closed before the injury and open afterwards.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Apart from the possible thirst for revenge about the eye there are several more things that one might want to consider. If most leafeaters were heading to the west in search for the Great Valley, then the sharptooth too would likely be on all those dinosaurs' tracks and if thust the sharptooth's way was the same as that of Littlefoot and the others it is quite probable that they would come across each other time and again even if Shartptooth was not actively pursuing them any more than any other dinosaurs.

PS: Uhm I'm afraid I didn't say anything that my predecessors hadn't said before ;)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I've always prescribed by the "revenge for his eye" theory.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
First of all: Yes, the eye idea. If we are to take the book of the film as canon, then that is the main reason: Revenge.

Second: Predators have often been known to pursue prey for days on end, waiting for them to weaken. This could have been what Sharptooth was doing. As soon as he woke up after the earthshake, Cera was the first piece of food he saw, and so he began to follow her. Then when he ran into the rest of the gang, it all came to a head, with him stalking the entire gang.
Or am I humanising him too much?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, we know from Chomper that the Sharpteeth are just as "human" as the Leaf-Eaters. I guess that Sharptooth culture makes them seem ignorant to the Leaf-Eaters (perhaps as in this cartoon? )

I suddenly thought about it again and realised that perhaps Sharptooth did actively start pursuing them once he reached the mountains - with no other food in sight, he might have had no other choice! But I agree with what the others have said, Sharptooth may certainly have wanted revenge for his hurt eye, which would mean he was targeting Littlefoot above all others. So perhaps it was food AND revenge by this point.

Yikes...that puts his final scene in a whole new light - the other dinosaurs are just trivial nuisances to him, but Littlefoot will have been his main target when he leapt onto the rock! Good thing Cera arrived in time...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Sounds like Sharptooth was a true villain, then.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
And that's why he always was one of the most popular bad guys from the LBT series. :)

Bruton the Iguanodon

And that's why he always was one of the most popular bad guys from the LBT series. smile.gif

Uh-huh, even if his motivation was pretty juvenile, considering Littlefoot did it by accident.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 13 2012 on  10:48 AM
Uh-huh, even if his motivation was pretty juvenile, considering Littlefoot did it by accident.
Imagine yourself in his shoes (Not that he wears any): a dino cub, who's supposed to be an easy prey, accidentally makes you lose one eye and gets away with that. It's natural for a giant predator to be pissed off in that case. :)

Bruton the Iguanodon

Blaze

• Ruby
    • View Profile
i don't know, you make him human and suddenly he doesn't seem as scary (well not to me). I'd say he's supposed to be purely animalistic in most respects, but when he gets sight of the kids boom he's total predator so you're supposed to hate him and fear him. further more if there were multiple predators and they came across a different one each time then the audience would be thinking "wow this situation sucks but then it could just be bad luck" but if they see the same one then they know he's the bad guy he's the villain etc
as people have said the herds are all heading west so the predators are going to follow them. and remember there are far fewer predators than prey so the kids are more likely to come across the same one again and again. as well as that predators (or for you palaeontologysts who subscribe to the idea of Rex being a scavenger; then large scavengers) have very large territories so there's even less chance of them coming across another sharptooth.
as has been said during the final fight scene the characters paths cross in what is really just a coincidence. dear old mister Sharptooth sees Ducky and thinks he's going to take the chance of this little snack. When he losses her in the pond and spots the others (who are bigger and so more nutritional   :blink:  ) he goes for them, admittedly there's the chance that seeing Littlefoot might make him crave a little revenge but i'm not sure. I'd imagine that after perusing them so vigorously through the thorns and getting his ass handed to him by a mother on a mission i'd think he'd just accept his knocks and get on with life

but that's just my thoughts  :confused

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Actually making him more human-like would make him scarier. As an all animal, his thoughts wouldn't be too complex; they'd be just "go hunt and kill and eat", especially since he's a reptile and during the time this movie was made, dinosaurs weren't thought to be that smart.

Yes the herbivores obviously are, but the predator is treated more like a simple but feral animal. The reason is that the directors (minus Don Bluth) thought that making him nothing more than a ferocious carnivore, with no personality other than killing, would make him scary enough. As they'd say, he's got sharp teeth and powerful jaws and he can use them, so fear him.

But if he had a more human-like personality as the others did, now we're entering a whole new level of terror. Now he would be able to calculate attacks more efficiently. Now he can think and reason, and can do things out of cruelty rather than just to eat. It would be like Ozzy or Sierra, except with the intent not just killing, but devouring the kids.

Having him be a more three dimensional bad guy would have been interesting to see. And I feel Sharptooth would have been a better villain if he were more like this. It's hard to call him a villain when he's just hunting out of instinct. And while that's frightening enough, it gets even scarier if you make him a more calculating, intelligent mind. I would have liked it if they had given him a more developed personality.

To provide a comparison, which do you think would be scarier to face? A normal great white shark that's attacking out of curiosity or hunger or mistaken identity, or an intelligent great white shark that's capable of making advanced plans? Personally, I would think the intelligent shark would be scarier.

That's just how I see it.

Blaze

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Nope i give it to you that would be scarier if he were intelligent/cunning, my problem with Sharptooth being more human is that like the predators in the later films (the mysterious island) they can be reasoned with. or at least it seems like you could reason with them. And yes no sharptooth is EVER going to be as scary as the original it just seems like Littlefoot saves Chomper and boom suddenly his mum and dad swear off eating the kids. Granted they MIGHT get a one time reprieve but it seems to me that as soon as you are able to bargain with the baddies or make a deal even just once they aren't anywhere near as scary.

If The first Sharptooth saw you, he was coming for you and you had to give it legs. The rest seem to be more like well there's a chance of survival you could trick them or even hope to fight back. As we know even a full grown sauropod would probably lose against the first one.

But that's getting more towards the whole "why aren't the new sharpteeth as scary as the first" and well we all know how that argument goes!

:lol

Bruton the Iguanodon

a dino cub

I noticed a while back that you used that term, and I'm just wondering: would the term "cub" apply to young dinosaurs? Because I think it only applies to certain animals...    :unsure:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In the movies at least they are more commonly referring the term hatchling.

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I personally see it as revenge. Sharptooth just started out hunting for food, but when the thorn in the eye incident occured, he wanted revenge. Evidence, Chomper is proof that sharpteeth have more personality then leaf eaters think, and as Redclaw is actively seeking revenge against the gang, Sharptooth probably is too. If someone stuck me in the eye with a thorn, I would want revenge, so there's no reason it couldn't be revenge.