The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why did the T.V. series stop airing?

jonk012 · 38 · 9273

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Jun 18 2017 on  11:17 PM
Tyrannosaurus aren't said to be able to live over a century as well...
Neither are longnecks, but Doc is still about and well. :lol: As for him looking different than the Meanest Sharptooth... Well, didn't we see him only in Littlefoot and the gang's fantasy? Not that I personally think that Red Claw had anything to do with the Lone Dinosaur legend. If anything it's proof that he only recently emerged from the Mysterious Beyond.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Actually some scientists think that some sauropods may have lived for 100-200 years. The sharptooth from the climax of 6 also looks the same as the Meanest Sharptooth, and so do other male sharpteeth from 1-6 so I don't think it had a different appearance than in the fantasies.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I thought I told it before to you, Coyote: Doc's and Sharptooth's appearance in imagination-dream story is result of Grandfather and Littlefoot's imaginations. At the end of movie, you can see HOW great longneck dinosaur looked in Littlefoot's imagination ;)
Doc together with Sharptooth didn't live for centuries.

And I "think" it is not coincidence that in Littlefoot's head Meanest Sharptooth surprisingly looked like that one who killed his mother and stalked him veeeeery hard.

Edit: though, since Sharptooth had teleportation ability... Who knows, maybe Doc like Rainbowfaces can move through space and time. *rollseye*
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
It doesn't matter the appearance in Littlefoot's head, the pre-art shift (1-6) male T. rex were all dark green (except for Chomper and the imaginary ones from "The Legend of the Lone Dinosaur" song).
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, a little bit on-topic now...

It's really no surprise that there wasn't a second season. Some episodes were okay or even enjoyable to watch but then again...  :rolleyes:

Inactive, probably forever.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The series' best contribution to the series was do introduce Ruby and Chomper into the Gang and it alone justified its existence. I would never say it was "good" but it did bring new possibilities and places into the franchise. It could have just been better with some more thought from Universal.

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Another video containing a few episodes of the series has been posted today on You Tube today.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywMoskVD8Ss

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I wonder how much continuity lockout might have played a role. If kid viewers just happened to be exposed to the Land Before Time through the TV series first, I wonder how lost they might be. There are callbacks to the movie series that the new audience mightn’t. Though Ruby and Chomper at times acted as the audience surrogates to explain these callbacks (which I think is a good idea), I’m not sure how effective the execution was.

I wouldn’t mind if the series had tacked to the tone and theme of The Sarah Jane Adventure. The Doctor Who spinoff was aimed at a young audience, but had genuine threat, great drama, and heartfelt character moments that sustained it among viewers until the lead actress’ death. I hearted that show and wouldn’t mind if other children’s television took a page out of their book.

Very astute. There are so many homages to the movies in series, hopper (frog) being one that reappears and is reference to Littlefoot and Cera first meetimg and their first encounter with Sharptooth.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Littlefootfan1889

• Ruby
    • View Profile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
A reason I think it stopped airing was you really need to be a fan of the movies to fully appreciate the episodes. If the series is your introduction to the Gang, its not the best one. In fact, the impact of seeing Ali again or Hyp or anyone else isn’t there if you haven't seen the films.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:30:21 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I mean, realistically, it's about ratings. If the show doesn't recoup enough ratings they won't renew it for another season.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
I wonder if they poorly chose the channel for this show and missed their intended audience. Cartoon Network and LBT never seemed like the best match to me. If they wanted to reach little kids (which, let's face it, was the main audience for LBT), they should've gone with something like Nick Jr., instead.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Another reason is the songs in the series aren't as catchy like “Eggs,” “All Sorts,” “Friends for Dinner,” “Big Big Water,” and the more tear jerker songs like “Family, and “Grandma’s Lullaby.” The songs in the show tend to be repeats of “Adventuring,” and “I’m so happy, its like bright circle is shining inside of me.” The only song I have come to love is Grandpa’s Song “Remebering,” that he sings in flash backs over Saro. 

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Another reason is the songs in the series aren't as catchy like “Eggs,” “All Sorts,” “Friends for Dinner,” “Big Big Water,” and the more tear jerker songs like “Family, and “Grandma’s Lullaby.” The songs in the show tend to be repeats of “Adventuring,” and “I’m so happy, its like bright circle is shining inside of me.” The only song I have come to love is Grandpa’s Song “Remebering,” that he sings in flash backs over Saro.

Yeah...if there's one thing I've consistently disliked about the series, it's the music. :bang The songs can't hold a candle to anything from the movies. Most of the time, they were nothing but shamefully obvious filler! I mean, whoever worked on this music was too lazy to even write a new tune most of the time, they just recycled the ones from the movies and changed the words.
And I will never forgive them for turning "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" into "The Amazing Threehorn Girl." Never!!! :opetrie

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I mean, realistically, it's about ratings. If the show doesn't recoup enough ratings they won't renew it for another season.

This. Not to mention that you'll eventually run out of original ideas.

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Yeah...if there's one thing I've consistently disliked about the series, it's the music. :bang The songs can't hold a candle to anything from the movies. Most of the time, they were nothing but shamefully obvious filler! I mean, whoever worked on this music was too lazy to even write a new tune most of the time, they just recycled the ones from the movies and changed the words.
And I will never forgive them for turning "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" into "The Amazing Threehorn Girl." Never!!! :opetrie

The Rainbow Faces would like to give the Great Valley a Cease and Desist for that.  :PCera (Doesn't help that tune is yet again ripped off in a Spike centric episode). Honestly I don't mind them changing lyrics for the songs exclusive to show, but I can tell it's lazy. It would have been better to ditch songs all together or at least not do it as often as they did.

If a show revival does happen, I'd would want it to focus more on the different movie characters and have a over arcing season story. The first season had one with Red Claw, but it failed to go anywhere and was forgotten in movie 14. (Redclaw is better off as Redbelly :bestsharptooth)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

The Rainbow Faces would like to give the Great Valley a Cease and Desist for that.  :PCera (Doesn't help that tune is yet again ripped off in a Spike centric episode). Honestly I don't mind them changing lyrics for the songs exclusive to show, but I can tell it's lazy. It would have been better to ditch songs all together or at least not do it as often as they did.

If a show revival does happen, I'd would want it to focus more on the different movie characters and have a over arcing season story. The first season had one with Red Claw, but it failed to go anywhere and was forgotten in movie 14. (Redclaw is better off as Redbelly :bestsharptooth)

Redbelly shall bring peace to Berry Valley. :bestsharptppth

I agree with your points, I think the series should have left the musical numbers out. As much as I love them in the movies. I do love Grandpa, “Remebering,” to hear Kenneth Mars sing was a treat. R.I.P. :’(

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Chiming in on the topic now.

I think it stopped airing due to the terrible times and dates in which it aired on Cartoon Network.  I mean, during 2007, new episodes aired on weekdays at around 9:30 am, and that’s a time where kids would be at school, how could they make that premiere in time (they could just record from a VHS tape, but still…).  Then in 2008 when it returned, it’s now aired new episodes on weekdays at 10 am, still isn’t good.  So I kinda think it ended due to bad times in which it aired new episodes (in the US).

Also my opinion on the TV series is good, but some episodes have no plot, either are boring, or is because of the songs, which the lyrics is pretty much a conversation (might have been filler since they really can’t think of anything).  Still, I at least liked some episodes, but not a lot…

Also in case anyone asks me for proof about the times, here’s links to a schedule from 2008, and some 2007 Cartoon Network recordings of the TV series which show the banner (which mentions the time for new episodes).

https://animesuperhero.com/forums/threads/cn-schedule-january-21-january-27.4480271/
https://archive.org/details/se01e08daysofrisingwater_201912