The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bandwidth Usage

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
How much bandwidth do you use per month?  I'd say I use normally 400-600GB monthly.  It really depends.  It helps to have a really fast connection though.  My speeds are 26mbps download and 4mbps upload.  First off, I run a few servers.  One of them you all already know about, another is a server I don't exactly want to make public to GOF for legal reasons, and the other is the one I have in my home for nothing but personal use.  It isn't even accessible to the outside internet.  How else do I use up that much bandwidth?  Well, my computers have like only a few gigs of space on them regardless of their HD space.  I put a lot of info onto external hard drives, but the rest I put onto my server.  99% of the files I use are on my server.  I even install programs such as photoshop on my server so they can be accessible by any computer in the house.  This is necessary because photoshop only allows one license per computer.  I already bought the program for $1,000.  I'm not paying to put it on every computer I have so instead I have it on my server and I run it through the internet.  In essence, I only have one computer.  All the other 219 I just consider to be terminals to access my main server.  The one main computer in my room is the exception since I run it off wireless.  I don't wanna be running a program via wireless internet because of it's unreliability.  In addition, I download stuff like crazy.  I don't download full movies or anything because of legal reasons, however I find nothing wrong with downloading TV shows because I can't always catch them.  If they've already come out with a tv box set I'll get that, but they don't do that until the show or at least the season is over and I can't wait that long. :D I know my situation is rather extreme, but are there any others of you out there that use tons of bandwidth?

EDIT:  I voted 400-500GB because it's only went over 500GB once.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I voted 5-50 because it varies a lot in that range for me.  My ISP only provides me with 60GB of monthly bandwidth but I've never actually used all of that.

Loofah

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I don¥t know that exactly but I think it is between 5 and 15 Gb a month.
I don¥t down or upload many things.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I"m not sure.  Usually I don't download much, but at times I do once in a while.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My ISP features UNLIMITED bandwidth, however you're not supposed to be running a server but I do it anyways.  I just bypassed their port lockout commands.  It was very simple.  If they ask why I'm using so much bandwidth, all they have to do is come to my house and see the 220 computers. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't even know how you'd check.  We have about four computers in the house all connected, so it could be quite a bit. :p

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
...WHAT???  You have THAT MANY COMPUTERS?????  ...How....??  Wha- ...HUH?????? :blink:  :wacko:  :unsure: Uh, WOW!!!!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't even know how you'd check.

When your ISP sends you a bill, doesn't it include your bandwidth usage?  It does with mine. :unsure:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Chikara

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Me neither. The only reason I know how much I use is because I got a letter telling not to exceed the limit.

I think I use around 10-15 Gb per month.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Nope.  Its a flat rate regardless of bandwith usage.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mine must be the same way.  I've no idea how much I use and I guess since I"m never told my bandwidth usage the isp doesn't keep track of it or doesn't care.