The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Back to XP

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Buenos diaz,

I've been quite sceptical about Vista v.s XP.
I was indeed going to change back my OS to XP, but I didn't thought about so much, it was no big deal. No rush.

Now it is.
When someone sell me a a laptop with 4GB RAM....
With a Vista 32 bit OS that only detects and uses 3070 GB!!!  :angry:
/Embarrising that I didn't see that 'till now... <_< \

Nope, I want that last GB... So I'll remove Vista. Asap.
I know some people here can give me millions of more reasons, but this was it.

I just need to know, how. What version (64bit) and so on.
Just a double check, so I can get the most out of it.

LBTlover, read and feast!  :lol  :lol:
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm not one to promote piracy but I doubt you could get a copy of xp 64x any other way.  Also, you must make sure that your computer has a 64 bit processor.  It probably doesn't.  Most people can't get over 3gb of ram.  You just have to live with it, but having windows xp would certainly make that 3gb more bearable.  I can live with vista.....if I have at least 8gb of ram.  If you have any less, you're screwed because it becomes so slow you can't even use it. <_<

Please contact me via email so we can talk about this.  I'll give you a copy of my windows xp lite edition but I'm not going to post a public link here.  My email address is thecomputergeekoncamanoisland@gmail.com

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, let me re-do the matter:

I AM removing Vista, and I'd like the best prestanda as possible out of this machine. I'm seriously not one to talk, that's why I'm asking, how and with what?

Okey dokey artic hockey.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The only way to put windows xp back onto your machine is to first totally format your hard drive.  You have to put the windows vista disk into your machine and format it.  Then you can turn it off and pop in the xp disk.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hehehe... Issue:
No disc. OS was installed with first startup.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Then I'll have to let you download a disk from me.  Contact me via email.  There's no way this can be solved in this topic.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Check your inbox; "You have a call!"

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
When someone sell me a a laptop with 4GB RAM....
With a Vista 32 bit OS that only detects and uses 3070 GB!!!

That doesn't seem too bad in my opinion. The part about detecting that is. My computer has 1 GB of RAM but only detects little under 1 GB. 900 something of RAM.

As for using..I don't think it's good that the Vista OS is using almost all the RAM, or am I reading this wrong?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've heard on some of the maximum pc podcast (I think that it is that one) said that to quote him (again no idea if it is accurate) "Vista is a memory hog." is what he said.  They've also said that only the 64 bit version of vista can use all the memory, the 32 bit version will only see either 2 or 3 gig, I forgot which they said.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Vista is a memory hog.  Leave your computer on for a day and you'll come back and be like WTF when you have no ram left even if you have 2gb or more. :bang That is just unacceptable.  Vista sucks.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
It really is an interessting process.
Right now, I'm stucked. I don't know what to do.
I'm thinking of trying the method out on another PC, to see how it works.
I don't want any "unwanted" effects... Not that I will, but still.
I need to find my options.
So, for now. Nothing.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
just follow the instructions in my email and download xp lite and vista lite.  Installing xp over vista is the easy part.  Finding drivers is the hard part......

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Expect some time spent to find those drivers. ;)  That's what will take the longest.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 13 2008 on  04:55 AM
just follow the instructions in my email and download xp lite and vista lite. Installing xp over vista is the easy part. Finding drivers is the hard part......
No prob. Just a 13 hour download....
What drivers? Anywhere you recomend me too look?

Really, my main goal of all this: Make use of all the RAM that there acctually is in the laptop. It just feels soo ** anoying without it!  <_<

What differs XP pro from lite? Or reverse.

Xp's very customize able, right?
I haven't heard too good stories about people changing their appearence, it messed their stuff up. Badly.

Hence, why I think on trying this out on another PC first.
If the laptop messes up, I'll be going swimming with anvils on my wrists.
I bought it for good performance, if this messes up, I'll be back on square one again. NOT acceptable. :bang

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What differs XP pro from lite? Or reverse.

XP lite edition is a totally reinvented operating system that was created by a select group of elite hackers (Including myself of course).  I'm not ashamed to admit it.  The original version of it is illegally hacked but I have two versions of it; one that's legal and one that's not.  The one I'm giving you it 100% legal and legit.  XP lite has many things integrated into it including the windows vista theme, firefox, cpu-z, enhanced driver support, COMPLETE SATA support, CCleaner, and a whole other mess of great programs.  Regular xp total install is around 2gb (2048mb).  XP lite is only 430mb on disk.  It can make a PII with 128mb of ram totally boot in under 45 seconds.  Put it onto a real computer and your boot times soar.  My main master boots in less than 12 seconds, but you probably won't experience that kind of speed with your current hardware.  

Really, my main goal of all this: Make use of all the RAM that there acctually is in the laptop.

Let me save you some time.  You have a 32 bit processor.  You CAN'T put a 64 bit OS onto your PC.  In other words, the maximum amount of ram your computer will ever recognize is 3gb.  Period.  You can't change that.  It's a laptop man.  It's made for portability not performance.  You'll just have to live with it.  What you can do is put windows xp onto it and have it run a billion times faster.  Vista uses over 1gb just sitting there.  Once ya start opening stuff up, you can use up 2gb in less than 5 minutes.  XP on the other hand uses only around 256mb(1/4gb) ram just sitting there and it's much more ram efficient than vista is.  You can run photoshop and a lot of other advanced programs on a PC with only 1gb of ram if you've got xp.  If you've got vista, maybe with 4gb you might be able to get it done without having to commit suicide.  -_-

Xp's very customize able, right?
I haven't heard too good stories about people changing their appearence, it messed their stuff up. Badly.

Well if you f*** around in the system32 themes folder dll, you're screwed.  There's a patch floating around the net that claims to allow you to change your theme by just double clicking it once you install the patch.  This patch only worked on xp service pack 1 and crashes the other versions.  No one uses service pack 1 anymore.  That's why you've heard so many problems.  If you want to modify your themes, either hack the MS OS and do everything manually or get tuneup utilities.

No prob. Just a 13 hour download....

13 Hours? :blink: I've noticed that if someone in the United States tries to download something off of my server they get great speeds up to 1800kps, but if someone from across the ocean tries for some reason they get ridiculously slow speeds, sometimes around 1.2kps or something like that.  I think it's a restriction that my ISP has.  You're not supposed to run a server according to their "terms and conditions" but I found a way to bypass that little system.  Perhaps the workaround isn't perfect.  I see you tried to download it but you canceled the download.  You should really download those files man.......