The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bill Gates Interview

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Take a look at this video.  Bill Gates practically said that windows vista sucks!  Even he knows it.  I guess he figured it out when his supercomputer couldn't run it properly :rolleyes: :

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bi...s-sucks?!??!

What an a$$ hole. :angry: I guess his supercomputer with 128gb of ram, a sixteen-core 3ghz processor, and 8 1.5tb hard drives just crashed from running the much hated windows vista that he said was going to be so "revolutionary" :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
They're pushing for Windows 7 already. :p  Plus XP has a shelf life until 2011 so he knows there's a blemish somewhere in between.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Did you notice he didn't even mention windows ME?  Windows ME was considered Microsofts WORST mistake until Vista.  Now Gates claims that Vista is worse than ME was.  This is a joke.  And no I don't think they're pushing for windows 7 because this was taken a few months ago and windows 7 isn't supposed to arrive until the END of 2009.  You know it's gonna arrive in the middle of 2010 when they say that. :rolleyes:

Windows XP is really showing its age even with all of the enhancements in xp lite edition.  I can't wait until MS makes a better OS.  Of course, this time around I'm going to pirate it BEFORE I go out and spend freaking $350 on it.  If it's another piece of garbage I'll just hack xp more with my buddies.  We'll create a better OS than MS could even hope to program! *evil grin* :D

You can tell right off the bat that windows Vista is just a beta version of windows 7 because it has NO BOOT SCREEN!  How stupid is that!? :bang When i did longhorn testing I thought they just hadn't added it yet.  To my horror there was still no boot screen after I had bought their "supposedly" complete version.  In addition, vista shipped as incomplete and MS's response to that was "We'll complete it on our own time and give you updates."  Where are the updates MS?  I'll tell ya where.  They're in the MS computers going into windows 7's programming that's where!  Vista was a joke as longhorn, it was a joke before SP1 and now that SP1 is out it's STILL a joke!  God, this will go in the vault with windows ME let me tell ya.

I just got a vista machine in today because it was full of viruses and crap.  It was only 20 days old!  Oh yeah.  That UAC really works.  What a great idea MS! :rolleyes: It sure helps a lot doesn't it?  Anyway, the machine had a quad-core 2.2ghz processor, 5gb of ram, and a 750gb hard disk and it was still a slug.  Vista is so awful!!!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry but my previous post was getting a little crowded.  Here's what PC world said about windows vista:

PC World isn't about to dispute CNET, naming Vista the most disappointing product of the year: "Five years in the making and this is the best Microsoft could do?... Many of the innovations the operating system was supposed to bring--like more efficient file and communications systems--got tossed overboard as Microsoft struggled to get the OS out the door, some three years after it was first promised. Despite its hefty hardware requirements, Vista is slower than XP... The user account controls that were supposed to make users feel safer just made them feel irritated. And at $399 ($299 upgrade) for Windows Ultimate, we couldn't help feeling more than a little gouged... No wonder so many users are clinging to XP like shipwrecked sailors to a life raft, while others who made the upgrade are switching back."

I agree with them 100%

This is exactly what my friend says about vista:

"Five years for a chrome-plated turd... If this is all the billions, man-hours and years brought, what was the point? We get a bloated, DRM infected rights removal tool that advances the state of the art to where Apple was the better part of a decade ago, and we are supposed to call this progress?"

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like he gives excellent reasons to use a Mac or Linux.  I would not be surprised if that is all Bill uses in his home are Macs and Linux os's.   Though I've no idea if the Mac os is better or as bad as Windows is.   Maybe this will help Linux to be more popular.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I support Linux and Macs. Hopefully, Apple will reach double-digit percentages of the computer market sometime in the future with how bad Vista is. And then Linux can become more popular as well.

Also, on the subject of Windows ME, here is this xkcd comic. It links to xkcd.com if you want to go there and don't want to type it in.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I pray that MS will clean up its act and make a better OS after vista.  The fact that Bill Gates HIMSELF admits that vista is a total failure gives us some hope at least.  If the next OS is bad too, I'll just stick with xp lite edition.  It's the best OS right now and I'm crossing my fingers that MS will make something better, but if they don't it's no biggie.  I'll just keep using what I'm using and let the hackers supply my windows updates from now on. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
With how Microsoft shoves things out the door unfinished and lets their customers be their beta testors, maybe it's better to rely on your hacker friends.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Don't get me wrong on how I say this, but how is what hackers do, legit?  MS sure didn't want XP or whatever toyed with like its been done or they would hire the hackers to do this programming for them.  If the skill among hackers is this high, why don't they attempt to create a kick-ass Linux version of an ideal OS rather than bust their time against Microsoft's product?  Let them make their own if they can do better...and you get all the credit for it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Because Linux is a TOTALLY different platform.  If they made a version of linux that could utilize windows code (this can easily be done without wine or other garbage) it would be illegal because the windows code doesn't have it's source code publicly available.  In other words, the code is off limits to the public.  This would undermine everything that all versions of Linux have been trying to do for almost two decades.  I know it sounds easy to make a program that's made for windows run in Linux, but they're so different from one another that the programs have to be re-written if you want to introduce them into linux.

There is another advantage to using an older version of windows.  First of all, the windows code between Vista and windows 98 isn't that dramatically different.  It's just written with a little different signature each time so old programs won't work with new OS's.  This does NOT apply however to 64 bit versions of xp/vista.  What would you do if you were in the hackers shoes, modify an old MS OS for 1/10 the work and get an OS that with a UI that 99% of people are comfortable in or modify a copy of linux which would become totally illegal and put you in the line of fire for a lawsuit AND be TEN TIMES THE WORK?  It all makes sense.

Linux hasn't really risen off of the ground because they refuse to do illegal things such as steal driver source code from MS drivers so the devices will work in linux.  Well what do they expect us to do?  You b******* pay hardware manufacturers not to write linux drivers. :angry: I really wish linux would just go illegal and do it already.  Screw MS!  Of course, it would end very badly with linux getting shut down after being sued for $203,204,591,204,485 and that's exactly what MS wants.  They've got us all by the neck.  Money IS power. -_-

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Why would MS sue at all? They control the over 90% of the computer market and Linux is a free OS. They don't have any need to sue for code usage.