The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

From PC to Mac

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm going to poke a hole in your balloon by saying if you're not going to do any graphics-intensive or audio work, why do you honestly *need* a Mac considering their price in comparision to Windows?  There is a lot of software for Windows that has no Mac version.  Write down everything you use on a Windows pc, and then google around and see if there is a Mac version.  If you can't live without a certain program, do not make the switch.

I'm not trying to lure you away from a mac, but I don't think you're digging deep enough into the differences.

And don't believe the BS that Macs can't get viruses.  They can.  Someone did it already.  Far fewer for sure, but no computer is entirely safe.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Petrie,Dec 4 2008 on  07:50 AM
And don't believe the BS that Macs can't get viruses.  They can.  Someone did it already.  Far fewer for sure, but no computer is entirely safe.
That's true. I've heard of this belief that Macs are invulnerable to viruses, but that isn't true. Most viruses are written for PCs, yes, but some are written for the Macs. It's not very common for a Mac to get infected, but it's not impossible.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Yes there are viruses for macs, but there are so few of them you can count them on one hand.  Most of the time they're in torrents anyway so just be legal and you'll be fine.  Some of the more.....dedicated crackers have been trying to write mac viruses, but most of them are stupid and write code that isn't coded properly.  That'll work okay on a PC, but a mac is VERY specific about the code it'll allow to run.  If there's even one minor error, it stops the code, whereas a PC will try to debug the program automatically and even try to skip errors in the code (to an extent).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I actually heard there was around 60 Mac viruses, though another source said about 4. I do think there's more Mac viruses than you can count on one hand, but I don't think there's a lot of them that are currently active. Still, it wouldn't hurt to get antivirus on a Mac just to be sure. Although antivirus is not necessary on a Mac considering the low chances of getting a virus, it doesn't hurt to have an antivirus handy in case it does happen.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Pc's are likely easier to write code for perhaps, and the windows system is a very large target, a thing that would likely attract many of those sorts of folks.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm still in the research.
I have some meetings in the upcoming weeks, where I hope to get more things clear.

As Petrie said, no machine's entirely safe. Of which I am aware.

I'm not trying to lure you away from a mac, but I don't think you're digging deep enough into the differences.

Thanks. It has only been a week since I started digging in this. Give me a bigger shovel?
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
I personally believe in the freedom of choice.  I know, the cost is going to burn a hole in ones wallet, but if this is what Gustav wants to do, then he should be allowed to make this decision...  I'm not trying to get personal with anybody, and I know that everyone else is only stating what they believe to be best, but really, it's his decision.  Now, anyone else have any suggestions for him?  Something tangible that he can use as a guide?  Well, I mean, from the Mac end?  Anybody ever own one?
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: NeptuneNavigator2001,Dec 4 2008 on  04:17 PM
I personally believe in the freedom of choice.  I know, the cost is going to burn a hole in ones wallet, but if this is what Gustav wants to do, then he should be allowed to make this decision...  I'm not trying to get personal with anybody, and I know that everyone else is only stating what they believe to be best, but really, it's his decision.
True, true. Though I appriciate all the opinions I get, but I do wonder wher all the Mac users around here have gone? I'd like their point of view aswell.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I only know one mac user - lbt/cty lover

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah.  There aren't many mac users period.  GOF's lucky to have even 1 of them.

Tobe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Macs are trendy, PC's are common.

Mac's have better hardware because there is no such thing as third party.  All Apple hardware is made BY apple and apple can charge whatever they want because noone else can make parts for a Mac.  

Mac's software is just as flawed as PC's.  But their lack of third party coders to fix the flaws affords PC's the edge in that even if Microsoft doesn't fix it.  Palin's famous Joe the Plumber may have a brother Harry the Hacker that fixes the problem.    

It's in choice.   New software for the mac is slower to come out, Macs run better hardware-wise but tend not do have as stable of an operating system.   Macs are more expensive hands down.   I'll have to say its a myth that Macs run image software better as a rule.  I've seem a windows machine open a banner in 30 seconds when a mac took 5 minutes.

Do you want a product that has more hardware reliability and less software stability for more money and with fewer repair locations that are guaranteed?

Or a product with less hardware reliability and more software stability for less money with a nearly infinite number of repair locations that include the neighbors kid and range from awesome to ripoff?

~Tobe

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Interesting Topic you have here. It game me a good view about macs and all this stuff. Right now I am okay with my Vista.

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
question my computer is a base windows and mac.

hers the question

do the windows os detect the mac os?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Are you asking if you can access files you create on your mac OS partition using your windows partition?

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
yes like a virus that can pass even the another hard drive is hidden or cannot seen by a win XP and mac OS

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A mac virus will do nothing to a PC OS.  A PC virus will do nothing to a mac OS.  Files are transferable, but only ones that can be commonly read by both operating systems (Such as jpg, avi, mov, and so forth).  Any mac file will show up on a PC and any PC file will show up on a mac, but just because they show up doesn't mean that either OS can read them.  A PC handles unreadable mac files by calling them "File".  A mac just shows the PC file extension when available.  If no file extension is available, it just uses "File" as well, but it's rarer to see this in a mac than it is in a PC.