The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anti-Virus choice?

Serris · 13 · 1350

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I was wondering what kind of anti-virus software I should use.

I currently use McAfee Enterprise.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll give you a good one: Mas OS X Leopard.

In all seriousness, I say McAfee or Norton. Both are good anti-virus software bundles. If all else fails, go either to Linux or Mac.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
I've used Avast for quite a while and its really efficient. I also have it on my U3 drive.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
i personally use Zone Alarm and have for over a year. i think its a great anti-virus program. id have to say though that the best one is probably Kaspersky.

it gets the best reviews over all others.

MacAfee and Norton are good in a pinch, but there are severe consequences to using them. like system slowdown, the programs doing what they want, when they want.

theres a very good reason why MacAfee is provided free with the internet companies, and why Norton comes pre-installed on EVERY retail PC today :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I personally use Panda. It's done a great job so far and I haven't had an issue with it. I won't go as far as say it's the best antivirus (as I believe there's no such thing as the best antivirus) but it does a good job.

While I haven't used it myself, AVG (the full edition) would probably be a good choice. You can get a 2 year license for AVG for about $30 or $40 at Walmart, which is pretty cheap when it comes to antivirus, I think. I used to use AVG Free 7 (I think) but I wasn't satisfied with it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't know where the poll is. :p  I do remember this topic.

Another vote for Kaspersky...the entire suite.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I was asking what anti-virus I should use.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Dec 29 2008 on  03:10 PM
I was asking what anti-virus I should use.
To be honest, there's plenty of good Anti-Virus programs out there.  They can be easily listed in what you pay for and what you get for free.  There is NO Anti-Virus program that is considered the absolute best and should be chosen above all others.  In the end, it comes down to taste.  How does the person feel with it all?  What kind of program do they feel most comfortable with?

The reason that NO Anti-Virus is best is because there's TONS of viruses and other crap that are made everyday by some sicko out there.  The worst part is that they all can't be tracked because there's just TOO many of them.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some were being made this very second.

If you're looking into getting free protection for your computer, all you have to do is go to http://www.download.com. From there, go to Security Software and you'll see PLENTY of good choices.  Read the reviews and choose what you think works best for you.

Also, feel free to download more than one of each kind if you want.  After all, when it comes to protecting your computer, you can never be too safe. :)

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I think McAfee Total Protection, is one of the very best Anti-Virus programs. In fact this is my sixth year using a McAfee Anti-Virus program.

Tobe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Symantec Corporate.

Oh you mean personally?   Nothing.

~Tobe