The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What kind of Flash Drive is Best?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I recently got a Flash Drive for Christmas, and I'm curious about how good it is compared to others.  I'm most interested in the quality of it, so try to answer me with that.

The one I have, which I have yet to open, is an 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

So how good is it?  Is it a keeper or should I find the receipt ASAP and get a new one?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
To be perfectly honest, flash drives are such simple devices that I haven't really noticed any difference in them.  I've bought tons of flash drives from the most expensive to the cheapest pieces of crap I could find.  I recently found 2gb flash drives for $5 at walmart, and they're surprisingly okay.  Aside from the cheap ass plastic that kept peeling off, it works just as well as my $15 2gb flash drive I recently bought. :lol I've streamed video on it, used it with windows ready boost, copied its entire contents multiple times, and done pretty much my normal activity on it.  I tend to believe that you pay for how cool the flash drive looks and how thick the plastic is, NOT how good the actual function of the drive is.

Of course this is just my personal opinion.  Some other people feel differently and I respect that, but I just haven't personally experienced any real difference in them (and believe me, I've bought a lot of them).

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Dec 26 2008 on  01:24 PM
Okay, I recently got a Flash Drive for Christmas, and I'm curious about how good it is compared to others.  I'm most interested in the quality of it, so try to answer me with that.

The one I have, which I have yet to open, is an 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

So how good is it?  Is it a keeper or should I find the receipt ASAP and get a new one?
If you need more conviction and flesh on your legs, I can support you by saying that I owe the same Flash Drive. I haven't had any trouble with it, so it's up to you if the size of the drive suit your needs.  ;)
I should add though, I've never had any trouble with Flash Drives.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I had one of those...they're the ones with the thumb push and the orange light correct?  Pissed me off over time in the long run because the part you plug into the port would push back into the device unless you held it a certain way.  I actually lost the drive and never found it.  Went and bought a much better Sony model.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-USM2GL-Micro-Vi...30481956&sr=1-7
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-USM2GL-Micro-Vi...30481956&sr=1-7

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you're talking about this one then they do lose their locking ability over time depending on how often you take out and retract the USB part:

That's why I stick to the drives that have the slider on the side of the drive, not the top.  For some reason they don't tend to wear out as much.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 28 2008 on  05:44 PM
If you're talking about this one then they do lose their locking ability over time depending on how often you take out and retract the USB part:

That's why I stick to the drives that have the slider on the side of the drive, not the top.  For some reason they don't tend to wear out as much.
Yep!  That's the one.

I recently found out that my sister and her husband who gave it to me threw away the receipt, so no returning it. :(

Oh well!  The day it wears out I can sell it on-line for a few bucks. :D Until then, might as well enjoy it. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just don't be screwing around with it and sliding it all the time when it's not needed.  I know it's tempting, but try to resist. :p I love to slide my flash drive in and out during boring classes.  It just gets so addictive, but luckily I have one that doesn't wear out like the top sliders do.

Tobe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I've come to the conclusion that roughly half of my exchanges over "Flash" Drives go like this.

"OMG!  Did you just pull your flash drive out without disconnecting it?"

"As far as I know that is the definition of disconnect."

"Haha, I thought you were smart.   You have to tell the computer you're removing it before you do or you'll ruin it."

"You have a U3 cruzer...  Don't you."

"Yes, how did you know."

"Admin Gene."

While this exchange is going on I'm generally shutting their system down and skillfully flipping the voltage switch that all old clunkers have on their power supply.   Then absconding with my payment before they turn it back on.

~Tobe