The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Our main computer is acting weird

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey all,

Off lately this computer has caused random crashes when plugging in or taking out hardware, say a webcam or usb stick. Now I decided to do a virusscan before going to school, and this was the result.

Apparently, the worms thingies didn't get removed. I think I heard somewhere that they're pretty dangerous, so maybe someone can clear that up to me? Also, is there a  way to remove them?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
You can go into that folder, locate the files, and delete them. But I heard from one source that it could be risky, although other sources don't really seem to cite any serious issues with deleting files from that folder.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For one thing, Worms are nasty little buggers.  The big problem is that they are always active.  As such, they can be difficult to handle.  They continuously put viruses into your computer that can cause quite a few problems.

Top choices when it comes to free scanners that get rid of worms are as follows:

Avast! Antivirus

Malwarebytes'

SuperAntiSpyware

At least those are my main three choices.  Use one of those, and you should be fine. :D

Also, with any Antivirus, make sure you have the latest updates.  Do that with AVG, clean them out, and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, go with one of my recommendations, making sure to have the latest updates.

Trust me, you'll be thanking me for this. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I wouldn't really recommend Avast because it has no heurististics, it's entirely signature-based. Hopefully, they'll add heuristitics in the next version.

Since worms are always active, perhaps you should try booting up in safe mode. In safe mode, not all devices are loaded up, making it easier to remove malware. Try booting in safe mode and running another AVG scan and see if that works.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My avg updates every day so that shouldn't be too much of a problem :)

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Yeah, I can recommend Malwarebytes myself. I've seen it work wonders, Iris. :) There's quite a few dangerous downloads out there these days...

EDIT: And yeah, I don't like Avast myself, but you've already tried that too, right?
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: NeptuneNavigator2001,Apr 1 2009 on  08:23 PM
EDIT: And yeah, I don't like Avast myself, but you've already tried that too, right?
I have indeed.

Malwarebytes worked, found 1 infection and removed it without problems. We'll see if we hear about any further complains from my little brothers.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Good. How many more infections do you have on there, Iris - at least, that you are aware of? (So much malicious stuff on the 'net these days; one can't be too careful...)
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
1 I think, since AVG couldn't clean 2 of them. But malwarebytes couldn't find it. Tomorrow I'll be doing some more scanning.