The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

12 Core AMD Opteron Processor

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well I've always been a big fan of AMD but they've been slipping back so I've switched to Intel processors for some of my machines.  But it seems they're back in the game.  According to AMD, they will release a 12 core Opteron processor in 2010 and a 16 core in 2011!  

Looking ahead to 2010, AMD said that the new Direct Connect Architecture 2.0 will not only support 12 cores -- three times as is about to ship from AMD -- but will also bring twice as many memory channels, three times the current memory speeds, nearly twice the HyperTransport bandwidth (4 links), and more than twice the cache.

This is just incredible!  Read the full article HERE.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is a lot.  Imagine what programs and pc video games will be able to do, if they are written to take advantage of all those cores.  :wow

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
what could a 12 or 16 core CPU possibly be used for? lol.

it will probably takes years for software to be released that can actually utilize that many cores too. a huge technological leap forward though.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Dang!  I may want to consider upgrading in a few years then, huh? :)

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Holy ****, I second Petrie, do they just want a supercomputer in every home?