The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

256GB Flash Drive Out!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Got $1k just lying around?  If so consider the Kingston 256GB flash drive.  5 year warranty and all the space you could ever want or imagine on a flash drive.  The only downside is it uses USB 2.0, which is pretty slow considering the fact that USB 3.0 is just around the corner.  I'll wait till this thing is $40 and uses USB 3.0.  In 2 years it'll happen.  I can't wait. :D

Oh, and they're working on a 512gb flash drive right now.  They should be done by 2010.  But I won't buy any more flash drives unless they use USB 3.0. :p Besides....this flash drive will probably be $7k. :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is larger then my hdd.  Imagine when the price comes down and how cheap that will get.  The same for a 1Tb flash drive, when it comes out.  It is amazing if you think about it, how much storage flash drives can have nowadays.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I remember paying $45 for a 256MB (MEGABYTE) flash drive!  It was pretty kickin', but still.  I bought my 4gb drive for $20.  Maybe I'll buy a 256GB drive for $5 down the road. :lol

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
And here I am shopping around for something on the scale of 4-8 GB

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Indeed, 5 years from now 256GB may only cost $5 or $10.  That is one of the nice things about technology progressing instead of staying the same, and it progressing at such a speed as it seems to do in certain areas.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Ok, what are you doing where you need that?  Honestly.  Taking videos to work with you to watch on downtime?  That's ridiculous.  If people want space, they'll buy an external that isn't meant to be moved around.  All you're doing with smaller drives is increasing the chance the data will be lost by user error because you lose/damage the small thing.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Less need to have dvd's in a handy to reach place.  You can have your movies or tv series on a flash drive and keep that on a key chain or on your desk so you can connect that instead of going to where your dvd's, cd's or external hdd.  & you can back up a lot on a flash drive, and with the new usb 3.0 all of that will be much faster.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Years ago people were saying the same things you are about 256MB flash drives Petrie.  Now look where we are.  HD video can easily eat up 27gb per hour.  It won't be long before we'll be replacing 700mb DVD rips with 700gb HD video files.  Back when I was a youngster at the ages of 6-7 and I had my 2gb computer, I never even imagined that in less than 10 years my computer would have over 2,000GB!  I'm sure in another 10 years I'll have a computer with 2,000TB in SSD's. :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The day may well come when you can have an entire library of video, audio, games, and everything else all on 1 hdd or ssd.  Eventually even 1 flash card or flash drive.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Physical media won't be wiped out by a hd crash...but you can sure lose all that digital data really fast.  That's one reason I'm still the staunch supporter of physical media.  More reliable.