The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

AVI vs MPEG

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
These two formats I am at a war with and I can't pick which one to settle upon.

WMV I pretty much am starting to slip away from.  I only used it because I basically needed WMM for a number of needs.  However, I have recently gotten used to using a video maker called "VideoSpin".

You remember how I had a VHS/DVD Video Uploader for when I had XP?  This is basically the same program, but without the whole Capture Video Function.  With this, I can easily make videos in both AVI and MPEG format.

These two formats are just incredible in my book.  AVI is the most widely used, makes your videos just look awesome and it's DivX mode takes up little space on your hard drive when compared to most formats.  However, have you ever seen an uncompressed AVI video before?  Get a good monitor with a very good sound system, and you'll be surprised.

As good as this is though, have you ever seen an MPEG one?  The main thing this one has going is potential.  Because of it's wide range, it can do a lot.  Did you know that MPEG is the format used for PSP and iPod videos?  They use the mp4 mode to make their videos.  It actually looks pretty good for a video meant to be on a handheld.

On top of this, you can get DVD quality video with the MPEG-2 mode.  To be able to keep a DVD in the same quality when you rip it is no small feat, I'd imagine.  So seeing that is just unbelievable.

So yeah, AVI for it's good quality in a small amount of space or MPEG for it's potential and wide range.

I really can't decide here. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't really see much of a difference between AVI and MPEG, personally. I don't think it really matters which one you choose.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
an uncompressed AVI video before?
Yes. I've edited my videos with Adobe Premiere... I don't recommend uncompressed AVI videos. My video had a length of 20 minutes... it was 123GB big with a Bitrate of 1 million. NO program was able to convert that huge video file into a "normal" video file.

Anyway, I think AVI is the best format (if you choose the compression wisely). But there's only one format from which I've never got problems: WMV. EVERY programm is able to recognize WMV. AVI however isn't always supported, maybe you have to install extra codecs.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Personally I always use WMV. If I had to choose between AVI and MPEG though, I'd go with MPEG cus AVI is usually more complicated.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
AVI is an old, outdated video format. MPEG is way better.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In my experience mpg seems to be less cpu intensive then avi is.  I prefer mpg.  Though I know many prefer divx or xvid.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
From my experience, MPEG is much lower quality than AVI if both formats are encoded PROPERLY.  AVI gives you a lot more options too such as the ability to have dual audio channels and such.  AVI is old???  MPEG has been around since Windows 95!  Besides...MPEG is an officially recognized video format by Microsoft, so that should tell you something right there (psssst...that means it's s***).  

Though I must admit, I'm sort of moving to MKV.  The quality is soooooo good!  The only problem is the problems it has with VLC.  Media Center seems to like it though.  If you're wanting to learn more about MKV (also known as Matroska), you can visit this link:

http://www.matroska.org/technical/whatis/index.html

Matroska is now the official video format used in Japan due to its good quality and encoding time.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Matroska is a pretty young format when you look at MPEG-1 or even MPEG-2 (the DVD standard which is at least thirteen years old).  It can do things that older formats cannot.  However, the ability to "do" these things require the codec packs to play properly because people can mix and match all sorts of things.  That's why you'll get AVI's now and then that don't play properly.  Can't get away with that in MPEG...its one way or no way.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't know, I just copied something somebody said on another site and posted it here XD I don't know anything about this crap, I just use...whatever works.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know why so many people have problems with codecs and crap.  Just install the DIVX codec and you'll be fine.  Heck, I think the Metroska codec is integrated into Windows 7 and I know the AVI codec is.  But when you're installing DIVX, don't install the player.  It sucks. :p It actually used to be a good player about four years ago, but now it's just a bloated piece of crap.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay.  Here is pure, untainted proof that AVI beats the pants off of MPEG.  I have the following screenshots:

FULL Quality MPEG Video - 4.93gb

High-Quality AVI - 939mb

As you can see, there's literally no visible difference in video quality.  Now I must stress that both of these files have been encoded PROPERLY.  It is very difficult to properly encode a video file.  For example, a standard 700mb DVD rip from a DVD ripping program looks like this:

This is because 99% of DVD rippers don't bother to encode the files properly.  They do this because it's MUCH more expensive to make a program that encodes video files properly and it takes a lot longer to rip the movie if done right.  So how did I get that SUPERB quality AVI file?  Simple.  I just used a standard DVD ripping program and ripped the FULL quality DVD into an MPEG (which was lossless).  Then I converted it (correctly I might add) into an AVI file.  The quality is great.  The two programs I used were Magic DVD Ripper and Allok Video Joiner.  You should also have the DIVX codec installed before you try any of this.