The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Looking for a website with a good sales app

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey all!

Some of you might know that I am running a Disney Business. So now and then I get a cheap disney item from a second hand market and clean it up to sell as new on a free kind of Ebay called marktplaats.nl. However they remove my ads every month or so, which makes me have to put it up every time again. I'm sick of doing so, therefore I wanted to create my own website.

Now I tried to find a nice website builder that allows you to have some kind of products in store section. First of all I tried webs, but they only allow you to have 5 items on your website unless you pay for the pro-version of webs (which is expensive). Their customization of items was really nice, but the limit was nasty.

Then I tried weebly.com... This website builder is nice because it does not display any ads on your website. They have a product function, but they miss two quite important things: quantity of items (guests could buy 3 of the same books, while I only have one) and shipping costs (For when people would like to combine items, having the shipping costs in the price is not perfect.

I know there are tons of website builders out there... Any with a free, decent application for selling multiple items?

Thanks for reading and helping me out.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Sorry, but no.  Your best bet is to set up your own website and set up payments through PayPal.  This can easily be done by having customizable "buy now" buttons with customized amounts for each button.  If people don't have a PayPal account and want to pay by credit card though, there is a fee.  I'd try Google Merchant.  I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but they seem to beat all their competitors (I mean gee, compare Google Voice to Skype).  It wouldn't surprise me if credit card payments were free (or virtually free).

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I tried google merchant but I need to have a credit card for it. It just doesn't work for me very well. I want payments to go through paypal, but I don't know how to set up a fancy website/sales app all on my own Austin. Not everyone is as good with CSS as you are.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's very simple.  Set up a Weebly or Webs.com site and stick the "buy now" button next to each product.  You don't have to manually code anything.  But if you want everything in a grid like setup, you might have to code up an HTML table.  But this is pretty simple.  A 3x3 grid looks like this:

Code:  on  

<table>
<tr>
<td>
Block 1
</td>
<td>
Block 2
</td>
<td>
Block 3
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Block 4
</td>
<td>
Block 5
</td>
<td>
Block 6
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Block 7
</td>
<td>
Block 8
</td>
<td>
Block 9
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Then just throw the center tag around it and you've got a nice looking grid setup.  It's not nearly as hard as you think.  Now if you want a really flashy setup or whatever then it's not going to be so easy, but this setup works fine.  I use it myself and it's very easy to use and maintain.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's even less advanced than weebly offers, lol. Buy now options aren't the best ones. I prefer 'add to cart' as an option... Anyway thanks for your help.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A shopping cart is quite advanced and requires advanced knowledge of PHP and MySql databases in order to make it work.  You can actually buy a PHP shopping cart script, but you'd have to have 100% control over your website (meaning it would have to be coded from scratch and you'd have to have complete access to the source code).  Either that or you can go with a third party company that offers a shopping cart but charges a monthly fee based on how many items you have.  Unfortunately those are your only options if you want a shopping cart.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just found a free place to host my shopping cart :) Not sure how well it works yet, i'll find out eventually.