The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Giver

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
For a class at a private school where I am very likely to get a job at last (I will know for sure on Monday) I had to read the book "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. Seeing that it is kind of a canonical book which seems to be often read at schools I am wondering if anyone else here has read it?
If you have read "The Giver" I would be really very interested in your thoughts about it. Preparing a lesson for next Monday (which will be supervised by the head of the school who will then decide whether or not I am to get the job) I have prepared something about this book (most of which the students should have read by Monday) but would be really most interested in your views as well :yes

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've read that book years ago in class. I think I was in middle school at the time. I don't remember too much about it but I remember the basis of it. Pretty much the "transformation" of a boy who is chosen to be the new Receiver (I think) as he realizes just how limited and strict his society is. The book seems to be a criticism of "sameness" (I believe they use that term in the book), and how things would be like if everyone were the same. Sure there are different personalities, but there is not much variation in this village as opposed to our society. Only one baby allowed per "birth mother" at one time (if there are twins, one dies), everyone dies at the same age I think, everyone has the same birthdays, everyone has their career chosen for them, everyone shares their thoughts and feelings, everyone tells of their dreams, everyone sees in black and white, etc.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I've read the giver before. Basically, it is a critique of communism, extreme egalitarianism, and an over-regimentation of society. Not only do people all do things the same way (as stated above), but everything in the society in The Giver is utilitarian to the point of being so "rational" that it becomes irrational; concepts as color, love, and emotion are unheard of, as is pain and hunger. Ultimately, the protagonist decides to rebel against this order.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's been a while since I read this book, but I did really enjoy it. I like the rebelliosness of the protagonist after he decides to leave his community with the baby (Gabriel?), and it was a very fufilling read. I can't really remember too much more than that.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
its left as a cliffhanger, as the protagonist heads off into the wilderness..along with his little sister
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: