The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Insect War

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I seem to be suffering from a case of SRS. Severe Randomness Syndrome, so I shall do this...

WAZZZZUUUPPPP!!!!!!! :P:

Alrighty, lets get this review going shall we?

"You see anything?" she asked him.

I'm not even gonna say it...

"Greetings little insects." He growled.

HOORAY!!!!!!!!

Mai set off the alarm. "Giant hornets! A whole lot of them! We're under attack!"

That period shoud be a comma. When you start a sectence with someone getting ready to speak and then they speak, the transition of that should have a comma inbetween, like this. Mai set off the alarm, "Giant Hornets! A whole lot of them! We're under attack!"

That single hornet leader was tearing both Guard bees apart as easily as if they were wet paper.

Nice metaphor. ;)  

That's all I caught for spelling and grammer.

Uh oh, what's gonna happen to Mai? Where's Sashi, and what? The queen knows Shon? That's unexpected. Everything seems to be (Get it? :smile ) meesed up. I hope they turn it around soon. Like I hope you get the next chapter up soon! Nice chappy! Looking forward to the next one. :yes  

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Randomness is goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddd........

I'm not even gonna say it...

Dang it again!! I thought I got all of them!!  :lol This really is becoming a game for me!! I'll edit that right up!! At least I got the majority right!!

Comma, got it!! Thanks for that!! And for complimenting the metaphor :P:

Lotsa questions!! That means it was a good cliff-hanger then!! Yayz!!!

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Double-post!! Sorry!

Alrighty, let's see if I can win the grammer game this time!!! Squee!!

-~-

Mai was lucky she wasn't alone, otherwise she would be dead. The instant her alarmed cry echoed through the hive, her sisters came to her rescue. With angry exclamations, a large group of them met Shon head-on and swarmed all over him, hoping to try the heating-ball technique again. Namida and a few other hornets charged and began killing the bees that engulfed their leader. More bees met them and the chaos began all over again. Then came the most horrible thing Mai's ever witnessed. While Razo pulled her away, she stared as Shon suddenly burst free and leapt. But not at her as was expected...

Shon took hold of her mother and with the greatest of ease and no hesitation whatsoever, he bit into her neck and ripped her head clean off.

"NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" Mai screamed as the distressed word was shared among the bee colony. She glanced at Razo and saw his huge eyes were bright with tears. However, he continued to drag Mai against her will to safety, wherever it may be...

If the chaos before was bad, this was even worse. At the loss of the Queen, the other bees went berserk. But Mai paid little attention. She just cried, staring at the body of her mother lying at Shon's feet. The hornet was chuckling before staring right back at her. Seeing him step closer, she panicked and followed Razo to wherever he wanted to take her. She could hear Shon coming after her and knew that, however selfish if sounded, her only hope of survival was that her sisters would distract him. But although the other bees did attack the hornet leader, it only took a brief half-second stall off his chase.

Those built up and Mai arrived at a large empty Queen cell.

"In here. And don't move or make a sound." Razo whispered as he nudged her inside. Once in, Mai turned to him, no longer finding his nudges annoying. There was one question haunting her mind, and for some reason, she wanted to ask him it now...even if it didn't seem important at the moment.

"Why are you helping me? I'm just a worker..." She went on with her query. Razo smiled.

"Yeah, but you're my sister. As your older brother, mind, I should help you...like you've been helping me whenever I got hungry."

Mai paused, seeing her sibling in a new light. This Drone was different than the rest; she learned that the moment he said her name. Despite her having tried to get rid of him, he still cared enough for her to help save her life. She gave a soft smile, having never thought she would ever say the next words in her lifetime: "You're the best brother anyone can ever ask for." Razo nodded sadly, lowering his antennae.

"Thanks. But that only makes me feel worse with what I'm about to do."

Mai's own antennae perked, a confused look on her face. "What do you mean?"

"Goodbye, Mai. You're definitely a one-of-a-kind bee." Was his only response to her before turning around. Shon has just arrived and it was all Mai could do to stay hidden. She knew instantly what's going to happen and she didn't like it one bit. There had to be another way...But she knew there wasn't...

The hornet glanced around and glared at the Drone. "Where's the worker?"

Razo shrugged. "Which one? I know hundreds." He responded smugly, making Shon growl a bit under his breath.

"Don't play stupid. I know you hid her somewhere." He perked his antennae. "And I'll find her whether you tell me or not." The hornet moved a little closer and it was then that Razo charged and knocked the startled insect down before wisely stepping away. Mai's anxiety grew as she fought to stay still as Razo ordered. This was not going to end well...

Shon stood with an enraged hiss, but despite this, he smiled. "This hive's much different than the others. First, your Queen wants to negotiate." Mai almost cried at the mention of her mother. "Then that worker bee flees instead of defending. Now, a Drone is trying to put up a fight to protect that little brat."

Razo's next words surprised her, as it was the words she spoke to him what felt like an eternity ago. "That 'little brat' just happens to be a member of this colony, my little sister." Mai was happily amazed that he not only listened to her, but that he remembered what she said to him. As much as she hated to admit it, Shon was right...This colony was different than all the rest, and she was happy to be a part of it.

The hornet chuckled. "Touching. Too bad you won't have a colony left. It's a shame that I'll have to kill you like everybody else."

Razo growled, tense and ready to fight. "Kill me, then. I dare you."

"Dare accepted." Shon sneered before charging at the Drone. Razo buzzed his wings and jumped backwards, lifting his abdomen in warning. Shon was unfazed and clamped his jaws on the bee's thorax. Mai winced at her brother's cry of pain and she knew what would come next. Razo tried almost desperately to sting but everytime he made the attempts, it had no effect. There was only a soft 'thump' as the weapon hit shell. She wanted to tell him how it's useless, but she couldn't without breaking the Drone's wish.

With a dark laugh, Shon tightened his grip, digging his mandibles deeper and deeper. Razo struggled with all his might, beating his wings as hard as he could. It was hopeless. The hornet shifted his hold to the bee's neck and, laughing harder, he ripped Razo's head off just as he had the Queen's. Mai held back a cry and tore her eyes away for a moment. Tears building up and flowing down her cheeks, she risked a glance. Her brother's twitching body fell to the ground senselessly and the hornet backed away in amusement. Seeing the Drone's demise, more than a dozen other bees challenged him and, one-by-one, they were instantly given the same treatment. This distracted him and he seemed to have forgotten her...for now. He perked his antennae for a moment as his large eyes scanned the area before he froze and walked off.

Mai couldn't give a sigh of relief. There was nothing to be relieved about. The Queen's dead, her brother's dead. Every minute, hundreds of her nestmates were dying. Nothing in her life prepared her for this...

Careful to stay quiet, she curled into a small ball, crying to herself. And a dreaded thought sure didn't make her feel any better: If you're this sad about Razo, imagine how it'll be with Sashi...

Lowering her antennae, she wondered where her sister was. The other bee was out foraging when the attack started. If Mai's lucky, Sashi might still be out there. She should go look for her, make sure she's okay and tell her everything. The older bee will know what to do. Mai tried to move, but her body didn't want to. Maybe she's so traumatized, she's in shock. It wouldn't surprise her. She felt tired, having a hard time keeping her eyes open. Maybe this was all some horrible dream? She had the childish thought that if she slept, everything will be better when she woke up. It was worth a try and at least she'll be able to escape the horror going on around her.

She drifted off...

--

Shon had lost that bee's scent, but he wasn't angered by that. Chances are that she's dead and if she wasn't, she will be soon. He'll make sure of that. After all, she can't stay in hiding forever. Pausing in his massacring of the smaller insects, he looked about with a smirk. Nothing made him feel better than the slaughtering of other creatures, especially of honeybees. Revenge tasted so sweet to him. And it was obvious that his plan had worked out perfectly. Not a single hornet had died so far; none suffered a baking death. The plant was doing its intended job very well, and he made a mental note to employ it in future raids if neccesary.

Taking in the scene, he thought about what he said earlier, about this hive being different than all the rest. In many ways that was true, so true he couldn't help but wonder if these bees could quite possibly be some kind of hybrid...No, he's witness the Queen's maiden flight. They were pure Japanese. Maybe this is how all Japanese honeybees act...No, he's destroyed native bee colonies on sight before and they acted pretty normal.

Or maybe it was genetic? Yes, the Queen was sort of...odd when he met her a long time ago, hyped up like she had too much honey in her system. That hyperness almost had the young Queen killed, but as mentioned before, Shon 'rescued' her...She didn't retreat from him like all the other insects would. In fact, she came right up to him and started asking who and what he was, what it was like to be him, where he lived, other inquiries of a similar nature. The hornet leader went along and answered most of her questions, leaving out details that might alarm the bee. She seemed delighted at making a new 'friend', following him for a while before going off to her hive to start anew...

A hive Shon's quite happy to destroy. By now, nearly every bee is dead, a few still left standing to make a last futile effort to defend before going down like the rest. Pathetic creatures.

He spotted Namida, already beginning to collect honey and bee pupae for the young hornets back home. She's a strong fighter, one of the best in the colony, and even Shon admired her skills...from afar of course. As a rule, Shon's the strongest and largest hornet in the colony, so Namida must truly be incredible to earn his admirations. He wandered up to her and, seeing his approach, she immediately snapped to attention.

"After giving what you collected to the other hornets back in the nest, I want you to join me in scouting for bee survivors. I don't want any of these fuzzballs to live through this." Shon told her. When he wants revenge, he wants it to be complete. He never liked it when bees live to tell the tale of his assaults. Namida knew this very well and she gave a small nod.

"Yes, My Lord."

END OF CHAPTER 5

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
We interrupt your your review for this random quote of the day,

WAAAAZZZZZZZUUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:

I think that's starting to become quite a habit.

Anyhoo, let's get going.

Mai's own antennae perked, a confused look on her face. "What do you mean?"

That should be a comma. You've got these quite a few times.

"Yeah, but you're my sister. As your older brother, mind, I should help you...like you've been helping me whenever I got hungry."

Mind you perhaps?

That's about it. Good job! You almosted passed! I sure you'll get it next time.  ;)

Awww. That was a sad chapter. Hopefully the next one will be a bit less depressing. I have one question...where did Sashi go? Did she die? I hope not, but life sometimes doesn't work out in your favor. Nice chapter. Get the next chapter up soo, Untiul next time, Squeeeee!!!!!!

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
A habit I will happily continue!!!

WAZZZZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!!!! :P:

Mind you perhaps?

Nah, that's just the talking style of Razo and myself! :^.^:

Eep!! I'm late on updating, my bad!!! I've just been busy!! But here it is!!

-~-

Mai awoke slowly. For a few brief seconds, all was confusion. Where was she? How did she get in here? Why is it so quiet? Her biological clock told her it was still daylight and the hive is always busy and noisy all day. Then, it all came back to her: the hornets, the murdering.....She felt tears burn her eyes all over again and she tried hard not to sob in case the enemy insects were still out there. She should find Sashi now, if the older bee's still...

She stopped herself from finishing that thought. Had to think of something positive for a change. She forced herself to assume that her sister was alive and well, out there somewhere.

With extreme caution, she very slowly poked her antennae out of her hiding place. It smelled of hornet, dead bodies, and blood, intermixed with honey and the smell of fear from the pupae. She didn't want to go out of her hiding place, the only place in the hive she felt safe in. But it had to be done. She had to get out of here, that was her only chance. She can't stay here forever. Taking a deep silent breath, she hesitantly peeked out and almost immediately pulled back as some hornets went by towards the entrance to the hive, carrying crying pupae in their jaws and forelegs. Mai had to fight the instinct to defend the innocent babies. That wouldn't lead anywhere and would only get her killed for nothing.

The hornets did not notice her and continued on their way. Mai waited until she could no longer even smell them before trying to get out again, this time with more success. Glancing around outside her cell, she was struck with utter horror. The bodies of her sisters and brothers littered the ground, literally carpeting it so the floor can't be seen. Blood was everywhere, pooled under the remains and splattered over the walls and cells. There were headless bodies and even just legs clinging to the vertical cells where their owners have been killed on the spot. It didn't take long for the young honeybee to notice something.......

None of the bodies were hornets. Her colony, containing tens, maybe even hundreds of thousands of bees facing hornets that only came by the dozens......and the bees were all dead, with not a single enemy take down. In the wise words of Razo: 'That ain't right....' Speaking of her brother......

Still wary, she crept out of the cell and went over to the decapitated remains of her sibling to pay some kind of respect. This is a first: Drones never get the respect of the dead as they weren't good for practically anything. But this one was a bit different. He went from bossy and lazy to brave and caring. This is one male she'll definitely remember for the rest of her life.

"Good bye Razo....." She whispered softly. "Thank you so much for what you did for me. You didn't have to do it, since it was, as you would say 'too much effort'. But you did it anyway, and I'm forever grateful. I'm sorry I ever thought badly of you." She smiled softly as silent tears went down her cheeks. "But could you blame me? I am your younger sister, mind......" With a shaky sigh, she nuzzled the larger body. "Wish I could've said this sooner, but......I love you, bro-"

"Talking to a corpse? How sweet...." A voice interrupted. Mai shot around in horror as Shon stepped closer. In response, the smaller insect stepped backwards, shivering in fright, which the hornet seem to find most amusing.

"What do you want from me?" She managed to choke out through her terror. She never understood that, never understood why he singled her out. Was it some kind of hornet tradition to pick out a particular innocent victim to torment? The response she got was an almost amused growl.

"You don't know? And I've heard so many others say honeybees were intelligent." He mocked, taking another step. "Seems they're wrong..."

"Just tell me, okay!" She said this with more desperation than anger. If she knew why Shon paid her special attention, maybe, just maybe, she can talk him out of it....even if compromise didn't work before...

With the same mirthful face, he answered quite menacingly. "See for yourself." He snapped his jaws at her and she yelped with a jump. Yet, she knew he missed on purpose. Why, she didn't know. But she wasn't going to question it. Instead, she scurried off as fast as she could towards the entrance. She didn't even know if he was giving chase. She startled quite a few hornets that were hanging around the ledge and they growled at her. Her instinctive terror increased a hundred-fold, but they didn't attack her....

That was another thing she won't question and she jumped off the ledge, opening her wings in an attempt to fly. She was thankful she knew the basics because of Sashi's lessons, but this was only her second experience and she had those injuried Razo gave her. As a result, she was very clumsy and her painful wingbeats only succeeded in softening her crash to the ground below. Dazed, she stood and jumped again with a cry. Another hornet!!...Wait...

This one's dead...

Amazed and confused, she sniffed the huge body and immediately recognized him. It was the hornet scout that she....In horror, she understood everything now. The scent! She tried desperately to clean it off, but it was too late. It was dried and permanent, the scent mark she'll have for the rest of her life...Whimpering, she backed into the wall, where she picked up the same smell....The scout lived long enough to mark the nest. That's how the other hornets found the hive!

Slowly, she approached the body. Honeybees had a built-in grooming brush on their legs; maybe hornets would have one to get rid of the scent...the scent she wanted so badly to be gone....

--

Shon moved out to the ledge where the bee retreated to, growling at the other hornets who quickly bowed their heads. He made a quick search for Namida, but didn't see her in the group. She's probably still hunting for strays. He got back to business and looked down the edge, spotting the bee examining Khan's body and the scent mark he left. Good, the bee was getting the message. Took her long enough. He glared back at the others.

"Keep this in your heads: That bee is mine to kill." He hissed. The subordinate insects nodded, not wanting to test him. After all, whatever Shon says goes, no matter what. The hornet leader flew down quickly and landed right in front of the bee and beside his deceased soldier. The furry insect cowered back, twitching her stinger as if it can do any harm to him. Shon said nothing at first, looking at his fallen scout. Turning a sharp gaze back to the bee, he growled. "You get it now?"

The Mai bee gulped and nodded softly. "I...I did-"

She was interrupted as Namida and her brother, Sheshu, landed nearby, both keeping a safe distance from him. Shon smirked. "Nice of you two to join us."

Namida and Sheshu nodded respectfully. Sheshu was normally a Guard that spent most of his time protecting the entrance of the nest. He's a strong insect though and proves himself a skilled bee-killer whenever Namida found it in her time to drag him along, sometimes 'dragging' can be taken literally. He isn't against the fun of bee hunting; like all other hornets, he enjoyed it. But sometimes, you just wanna break for yourself. However, when it comes to Namida, he'll do anything for his favorite sister. And this undying loyalty spread to his leader as well.

Shon nodded at the bee, and at the unspoken signal, Namida circled around one way, Sheshu the other, blocking any retreats. The bee looked back and forth from one of the trio to the other, obviously more than a little frightened. Such panic showed in her voice.

"Please, leave me alone. Please..." The Mai bee begged, lowering to the ground. "You all took my colony....Just go...."

The hornets shook their heads and Namida spoke, antennae perked to pick up the scent mark. "You were one of the bees responsible for killing Khan."

"Bu-" Again, the bee couldn't finish as Sheshu continued.

"He was one of the top soldiers, very much respected and a close companion to us all."

"Please, ju-" Once more, she couldn't go on as Shon finished with a loud hiss, always having the final word.

"If it wasn't for that fact, I might've accepted your Queen's offer." The smaller bug looked shocked, distressed, all sorts of other similar emotions showed in her face. He grinned and continued. "It's your fault your colony is dead."

Now the fuzzball seemed like she's been struck in the face by some invisible force and he knew what kind of impact his words were having on her...and he enjoyed it. He could see tears welling up in the bee's eyes, ready to resoak her already matted fur. She looked at the other two as if hoping for sympathy, but it was clear that she wasn't getting any. After a moment of comprehending this, she shivered and seemed to be getting angry.

"Please let me say one thing!" She practically shouted to Shon, apparently tired of the constant interruptions she's been receiving lately. Namida tilted her head at the bee's sudden, somewhat brave change of character, but she did nothing to change her position in this conflict. Sheshu looked about ready to snap at the little bee, but knew it wasn't his place unless Shon ordered it. After all, this was supposed to be the leader's kill, not theirs. The furry insect took a few shaky breaths before seeming to revert back to her terrified and submissive state. "I-I'm sorry....Very, very, very sorry....Please, I didn't mean to cause anyone trouble....But just leave me be...I'm sorry...."

Did she really think a number of 'Sorrys' would change Shon's mind, will change any of their minds? Well, she had another thing coming. This Giant hornet leader did not have sympathies for his enemies. He'll torture them and no matter how much they begged and pleaded, he won't forgive and forget. No exceptions will be shown here. With a deep growl in his voice, as he was none too amused with her previous outburst, he gave her what could be the last words she'll ever hear.

"You will be." He charged and this time, her colony isn't there to save her.

END OF CHAPTER 6

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've got good news and bad news. The good news is...you passed the spelling and grammer game! :celebrate  Cheers for that!

The bad news is...I"M NOT GOING TO BREAK THE HABIT ANYTIME SOON!!!!!

WWWWWAAAAAAASSSSSUUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :P:

Awesome chapter. No nitpicking!

Shon is really getting on my nerves. I finally get why the hornets attacked now. And Poor Mai! Wasa gonna happen eh? I wanna know! I was strating to wonder where you went FBS. Glad your back on. ;)

I know this is a little off-topic but, isn't RPing fun!?

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yayz!!! Me pass grammer test! Me wonder how long that lasts!!  :D

This is the last chapter I have typed up in my computer, mainly cause I lost my written paper version. But no worries, I can continue if I put my mind to it! Progress will just be a bit slower. Hope you like this one!

-~-

"Get away from her!" Came a surprisingly loud voice and something furry collided with Shon, the high speed force causing the hornet to stumble a couple of steps. The 'attack' was so unexpected, it took Mai a moment to recognize the clump of worn wings and dull fur that now clung stubbornly onto the large insect's face, keeping out of reach of his deadly mandibles.

"Sashi?!" The young bee exclaimed in amazement and horror. She's alive and came just in time! But she was attacking a bug many times their size. Mai didn't know what to do, but charged anyway and tried to bite Shon, her efforts having no effect. She saw Namida and the other hornet about to rush to aid their leader. Sashi snapped her gaze to her and Mai saw a fierce liveliness quite unlike her listless friend.

"Mai! Run! Now!" She demanded. Mai didn't want to run, didn't want to leave her friend behind. But the tone and Sashi's serious, 'do-as-I-say' face made her break for it. Namida and the other hornet snapped at her, trying to catch her, but Mai jumped with a yelp, jaws closing just a short millimeter away from her fur. She landed in a scramble and bolted out of there before stopping at the edge of the forest and looking back, not wanting to make a full retreat without her sister.

"Sashi! Come on!" She yelled as her sister scurried over the hornet, trying to dodge his claws to avoid being grabbed.

"Go on! Flower #4, Mai! Go to Flower #4!" Sashi yelled back and Mai knew what it meant. Flower #4 was basically the fourth flower Mai crashed into during her flight lesson. She was to hide there and wait for Sashi. Still, to leave the old bee here.....That was unthinkable! But her sister gave her that face again and, reluctantly, she turned and darted off into the forest as fast as her legs could go. Hoping her sister would be okay....

Seeing Mai go, Sashi was going to make a break for it too when Shon finally managed to grab her and yank her off of him. Growling and glaring at the defiant bee, he threw the little insect towards the wall of the cabin, where she collided with great force and fell to the ground, where she landed with a sound 'thud'. She didn't move....The Giant hornet leader wasn't in the mood to fully verify if she was dead and he turned to the other two.

"Sheshu, you are dismissed. Namida, follow me immediately." He took off from the ground and flew into the forest to hunt for Mai. The two hornets didn't dare hesitate, knowing their leader was now in a very bad mood. Only glancing at the fallen old bee, they went their separate ways. After a few moments, Sashi's wing twitched and she lifted her head with a groan. It felt like she's been hit by a windshield.....Looking about, she knew she had to get to her little sibling fast! Before the hornets do! Unsteadily, she got to her feet and beat her wings. Nothing happened.

"Come on....Let me fly one more time......" She beat her wings as hard as she could and she felt her claws leave the ground. Exhausted, but determined, she made her way into the forest towards Flower #4....

--

Flower #4...It was a rather large flower; purple with an intricate pattern of blue and green and a special arrangement of the petals. It should safely house the young bee as she waits for her sister to catch up. Staring up at the plant, the UV rays bouncing off it making it highly appealing to the bee, Mai felt as if she was being beckoned to come over to it. Instinct, she knew. Hopefully, a bee-only instinct the hornets won't know about....

She went to the trunk of the bush and climbed up. She didn't think she was experienced enough to fly again. She might veer off in some random direction or worse, the enemy insects might hear her wingbeats and come to investigate. Besides, the wounds around her wing bases still jolted with pain at her last attempt to fly. Pausing a twig away from the flower, she followed another piece of advice Sashi gave her about landing on flowers. She scanned the area, eyes sharp and antennae perked. This precaution is necessary. There's a lot of mantids around these parts and some can look disturbingly like a flower.

It was all clear and Mai went towards the flower, speeding up when she heard buzzing. She scrambled inside and peeked out just enough to see Shon and Namida fly by, obviously searching for her. She stayed quite still, not daring to breathe until the sounds of their wings faded into the distance. That was a close call: If she stayed outside the flower for another second, they would've gotten her. Luck was definitely on her side right now...

More buzzing. It was different than the hornets, but she still felt a jolt of panic. This didn't prove necessary as Sashi landed on the petals in complete exhaustion. Mai couldn't keep in her cry of delight and she took Sashi and practically dragged her deeper into the flower and hugged her with all her might. She was crying tears of joy into Sashi's fur and felt her sister pet her antennae in reassurance.

"I thought I'd never see you again, Sashi...." She muttered, voice muffled by her sibling's fur.

"Shhhh. It's okay. I'm here..." Sashi whispered to her, allowing Mai to cry all she wanted. After a moment, she pulled away and held her younger sibling steady as she looked her over. Mai sniffled during the examination, but other than the wounds on her wings, she was uninjured. Sashi continued in a hushed but urgent voice. "I don't wanna ask this, but....What happened?"

Mai was about to break down to more tears, these of a more distressed nature. She tried to sound clear as she explained. "Soon after you left for a forage, Razo was getting on my nerves and I....I-I tried to kick him out of the hive but.....the hornets came and I've never been more scared in my life. Mom tried to reason with them, but it didn't work and they...they...." She bursted into more tears and snuggled tight against her sister, who whispered more reassurance to her even as Mai continued. "It's not fair......Their leader, Shon, he killed Mom. He killed our Mommy....It was horrible....(sniffle)....Razo saved me, Sashi. He saved me after what I tried to do to him....Shon killed him too....I'm a bad sister..."

"No, you're not...." There was tears in her eyes too, but her voice was steady enough. "None of this is your fault Mai, no matter what anyone says, it wasn't your fault, okay?"

Mai closed her eyes tight and choked out more words. "Yes, it is.....The hornets said so. Shon and his girlfriend.......They said it was all my fault....They would've spared our colony if it wasn't for me....The smell Sashi, it's still on me..." -Her sister looked horrified at this and even sniffed the spot herself- "...And it won't go away no matter how much I groom.....They're hunting me. Shon and Namida...They're hunting me and they're not gonna stop.....I'm scared....They're gonna get me...."

"No, they're not." Mai was surprised and confused at the certainty of her sister's voice. She perked her antennae as she kept her face buried in Sashi's fur, listening through her tears. "We're gonna go to safety, at least temporarily."

"But where....?" Mai asked. Sashi sighed as if she didn't like their choices, or their choice was a great risk to take.

"We're going to the nearby nest. A Yellow hornet nest..." She said. Mai looked up in horror. She never heard of Yellow hornets, but the word 'hornet' was bad enough. She was about to say her confused protests, but Sashi was already resuming her talk. "They're our enemies in normal circumstances. They occasionally come to our hive to have some honey and pupas, and we usually give them the heating ball treatment."

"Then why are you saying we should go to them?....If they're our enemies...."

"Because they were never a real threat to bee colonies. They don't wipe us out like their cousins do. And they face the same problem as ourselves. The Giant hornets kill their colonies too." -Mai was horrified at this. Hornets attacking hornets? Unbelievable!- "Honeybees and Yellow hornets have a common enemy and I hear that they'll allow stray honeybees to take refuge in their nest for only a little bit, just long enough for the bees to find an adoptive hive willing to take in a stranger." She sighed again. "But those are just rumors. I don't know if it's true, but in our situation, we have little choice...."

Mai understood that. Either take the risk or spend their lives in solitude, the worse fate a honeybee could imagine. This was their chance to be lost among the other insects. Shon and Namida wouldn't think of searching for her in a hornet's nest and Mai would eventually be safe in a far away hive of other honeybees. She nodded and her sister nodded back. They made their way to the entrance and Sashi held her forearm in front of Mai, signalling that she'll check if the coast is clear. The older bee peeked out.....

And was immediately snatched from above with a startled cry.

"Sashi!" Mai exclaimed and rushed out to see a certain Giant hornet holding tight to the struggling honeybee.

--

"Let her go!" The Mai bee yelled at him and he laughed as he hovered above her. Shon knew he heard voices coming from over here. He had separated from Namida and flew over, tracing the voices to this flower. His senses proved correct when he saw the old bee peeking out of the flower and he had snatched her in his claws. He already had a plan with these two, a plan to make the Mai bee suffer. After all, he hadn't failed to notice her attachment to this old fuzzball.

"You want her?" He sank his jaws into the captive bee's thorax and heard her scream of pain. Sweet blood came from the wounds and oozed down his throat, giving him a great feeling of satisfaction. He heard the Mai bee scream as if she was the one being bitten, yelling at him to let go of her sister. He smirked and opened his jaws to release the bee, snickering and having further proof that indeed, his target cared very much for the one he held hostage. He's gonna have some fun with this and he taunted her. "Can't fly? Or are you just afraid?"

The younger ball of fuzz glared at him with never-ending tears flowing from her eyes. "Leave her alone! It's me you want!"

"True enough. But I might as well have fun and cause you a greater pain by giving your precious sister your intended treatment as well. In case you don't know what I have in store for you...." Shon trailed off mockingly and he dug his claws into the old bee in a tighter grip, enjoying the resulting cry of pain. He looked back at a low buzzing as Namida flew over. He nodded to her, gesturing that it was time to go back into the nest and he snapped his gaze back to the puny insect before he flew off. "Meet you in our colony, fur ball!"

Leaving the land-bound bee behind....

END OF CHAPTER 7

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
WWWWWAAAAAAZZZZZZZUUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your getting goood. You passed! ;)

Oh geez...poor Sashi...(sniff) On a lighter note, haha! I can imagine what Shon would say and do if one of the hornets or anyone for that matter, called Namida his girlfriend.

"SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!" Then he would rip them apart limb from limb. Heh heh. :lol

I liked this capter. I have no problem with waiting, I'm patient. And I hope you get the next chapter up soon.

P.S. I love your new avatar!