The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

So... is the LBT tv series canon?

jonk012 · 30 · 5648

jonk012

• Ruby
    • View Profile
After the 14th movie came out two characters that were there pretty much confirmed it..ruby and chomper.

Now of course old characters came back for a episode in the series and they brought up past adventures. But ruby and chomper in the 14th movie confirmed it.

So... was the series what the gang did leading up to journey of the brave?

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: jonk012,Jan 7 2017 on  09:27 PM
Yup, pretty much. It's all canon until Disney buys the franchise and declares that only the original trilogy counts and everything else is just part of the "Great Valley legends" continuity. :lol:

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That would be very interesting if Disney bought out universal there competitor and own the rights to this franchise. But I highly doubt they do that since they'll loose money since no one would watch the tv series so they'll loose tons of viewers on top of that.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: jonk012,Jan 7 2017 on  12:27 PM
After the 14th movie came out two characters that were there pretty much confirmed it..ruby and chomper.

Now of course old characters came back for a episode in the series and they brought up past adventures. But ruby and chomper in the 14th movie confirmed it.

You just answered your own question.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Mar 5 2017 on  01:22 AM
Quote from: jonk012,Jan 7 2017 on  12:27 PM

You just answered your own question.
Pretty much! Anyway, I'd say that it is canon.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
here's additional question: what of all LBT books and games could be considered as true canon?
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I’d say the books and games take place around the times between the films that were released in between the game/book’s release. LBT doesn’t really need to follow a complex canon like other franchises.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Oct 16 2017 on  09:19 PM
I’d say the books and games take place around the times between the films that were released in between the game/book’s release. LBT doesn’t really need to follow a complex canon like other franchises.
well, some books, for example, don't fully follow plot of some films, as I remember.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Ahh, a question I've been wrestling with for ages! As much as I'd like to ignore some aspects of the TV show (i.e., the bizarre attempt to give Spike more development in "Eyes of a Spiketail"), I ultimately have to stick to the "canon-until-proven-noncanon" rule. It's not like anything in the TV show contradicts the movie series much.
I've always had reeeally mixed opinions on the TV show. :facepalm I love the episodes that brought old characters back with their original voices (Guido and Mo). Having Chomper back was fun, too, even though this was all but totally unexplained, and Ruby was a worthy addition to the group, though the lack of backstory on her friendship with Chomper is also really unfortunate.

Now for what really irked me: they had to keep giving old characters new voices that didn't sound a thing like the originals. Mr. Thicknose, Ali, etc.--those were the best replacements they could find? Really?? If anything makes me want to call the show's canon status into question, it's the fact that Mr. Thicknose sounds 30 years younger than when we last saw him...but alas, I suppose low-budget replacement voice actors aren't a valid reason to de-canonize something.

Plus I'm still holding a silly grudge against this show for the fact that, when they started bringing a bunch of guest characters back from the movies, I kept waiting for the Rainbow Faces to make their return, and you know what? They never did!! x(cera

Quote from: Hypnobrai,Oct 16 2017 on  09:19 PM
well, some books, for example, don't fully follow plot of some films, as I remember.
Yeah, if a book strays from the plot of a film (like the original movie storybook that had a deleted scene or something in it), I don't think it's canon. But, hey, if you guys are looking to debate over something else of this sort, I've got an official LBT comic book that's an original story! (Where would I post pics of that?)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I think the Series is canon now because of LBTXIV: Journey of the Brave which features Chomper and Ruby. This crosses over the movies and series.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I think the Series is canon now because of LBTXIV: Journey of the Brave which features Chomper and Ruby. This crosses over the movies and series.
This should pretty much quash this argument once and for all. The TV series itself has a sense of continuity by bringing back old characters, so having Ruby (a TV series gang member) appear in Journey of the Brave should prove once and for all that it is a canon part of the LBT continuity, even if the Red Claw plot thread was left dangling.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
This should pretty much quash this argument once and for all. The TV series itself has a sense of continuity by bringing back old characters, so having Ruby (a TV series gang member) appear in Journey of the Brave should prove once and for all that it is a canon part of the LBT continuity, even if the Red Claw plot thread was left dangling.

Redclaw may make an appearance in LBTXV, so there still is hope. :)

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile

I was sort of surprised they didn't put Red Claw in XIV, since Chomper and Ruby made it in there. Of course, I also remember hoping we were going to get a proper backstory for Chomper and Ruby when I saw them in the XIV trailer...but it was not to be.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

I was sort of surprised they didn't put Red Claw in XIV, since Chomper and Ruby made it in there. Of course, I also remember hoping we were going to get a proper backstory for Chomper and Ruby when I saw them in the XIV trailer...but it was not to be.

I am puzzled why Chomper left his parents. That was never explained to my satisfaction in the series.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I am puzzled why Chomper left his parents. That was never explained to my satisfaction in the series.

The best explanation we got was that Ruby was keeping him ''safe'' for them. For whatever reason, that was never revealed. Which is quite dumb, if you ask me. Perchance it had something to do with Red Claw, but that was never confirmed.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

The best explanation we got was that Ruby was keeping him ''safe'' for them. For whatever reason, that was never revealed. Which is quite dumb, if you ask me. Perchance it had something to do with Red Claw, but that was never confirmed.

Perhaps he’s Uncle Redclaw and wants to turn Chomper into a full fledge meat eater.

Redclaw: Give into your instincts! 

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile

I'd agree, it makes more sense now.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
We're not going to turn this franchise into Revenge of the Sith, guys. :PCera

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
We're not going to turn this franchise into Revenge of the Sith, guys. :PCera

Oh but it already is. :bestsharptooth

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Technically, this is untrue if you refer Red Claw and his cronies as the Sith. Remember, always two there are. No more, no less. :wow