The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cera's missing horns

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess the main trend is most of the gang would get darker, though some may grow a bit lighter.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think Cera will sprout them as she gets older.  Same with Spike and his tail.  

Is anyone here willing to make a fanart of what she might look like when she sprouts her new horns? I'm sure not.

Actually, that would be rather interesting to see.  That gives me an idea for my next Cera drawing B).  I bet she'll still be a good-looking threehorn when she's grown up :^.^:.  Just look at her father(and her mother in the original).  They both appear to display desirable traits :yes.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I’ve always assumed that Dinah and Dana were just early bloomers. :p

I too have always thought it odd that the LBT Triceratops in The Land Before Time hatch with their nose horns (the smallest horn) and grow their brow horns later. (Like Malte, I am also somewhat infatuated with jokes involving the number of Cera’s horns. :smile) But I think that Shinji-Lee is probably right that the lack of brow horns makes facial expressions easier to animate, and agree that Cera is much cuter and less intimidating with her nose horn alone. (Of course, tell her that, and the next thing you know, she’ll be holding up the animators at hornpoint demanding they give her her other horns so she can look scarier. :lol)

By the way, I did some research on those little frill projections; apparently, at least one ceratopsian paleontologist calls them epoccipitals (“ep-ock-sip-ih-tuls” is my best guess in terms of pronunciation). They’re structurally the same as the other horns on a ceratopsian’s head (extensions of the skull bones, probably covered in a keratinous sheath), so, as far as I know, Cera wouldn’t have been treading on any paleontological technicalities by referring to them as horns. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.