The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Themes

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For those of y'all who write as a hobby, and out of plain curiosity, who writes dark-natured stories versus light-natured stories.  I tend to stick with dark, creepy, suspenseful stories.  With E. A. Poe and Stephen King as my writing idols, y'all may figure my works are spooky :rolleyes:.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I feel more comfortable writing dark stories than light stories for some reason.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I prefer writing and reading light stories, also video games.  

In rpg's like Kotor, Kotor 2, and the current only I'm playing through (Jade Empire) I can't do any of the evil or even neutral choices.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
More towards the darker and violent side.

I like Poe too.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I guess I would enjoy Edgar Alan Poe much more if I didn't have to read him mainly for academic purposes rather than entertainment ;)
One of my first essays at the university was about "Tell tale heart".
I don't read too many gothic / dark literature, but I enjoyed Stephen King's "Misery" a lot.
If it comes to LBT stories I do think that they can be improved if they include some degree of "dark" matters. I cannot claim to have used anything dark in my earlier LBT stories, but the one I've been writing for too long a time now has a focus on the rather matter of racism and it does include some violence. It is a thin line though that separates LBT stories with an LBT like degree of dark elements (e.g. the Pterano incidence, the death of Littlefoot's mother, the (rather lighthearted) execution of sharpteeth in LBT 6 etc.) from stories featuring LBT characters combined with a degree of violence and brutality that turns the story into a very different genre.
There is not (and never will be) an agreement where exactly that line between a "proper" and an "improper" degree of dark stuff in LBT stories is running. This always depends on the minds of authors and readers. There are just a few things which we can be quite sure would not have been in any LBT movie (including the earlier ones which were not as "childified" as some of the later).

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
A mixture for me. I like dark themes to the story, because that's what makes a plot interesting. However, I like some light parts because I like read someone being merciful towards another character, despite all chaos.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Now that I think about it I've worked on several fanfics over my life as a recreational hobby, but even in my early days I had a leaning towards a darker themed story. That's not to say I didn't have a few light moments, but even in my current fanfic here on this site...it's mostly dark.

I also agree that it depends on the author and the people reading the story as well. Some like it others don't, its all about choice.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I like to do parodies an fun stories but when I write serious, my stories may be kinda dark.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I started writing when I was eight, and have always written dark stories.  Sometimes, I throw in a light-hearted slapstick one :lol.  The story I'm currently working on is very dark: a character finds out she has stomach cancer and goes through surgery and chemo.  The character eventually seems to be getting better, but then her sister is gunned down in front of her at a store :cry.  The character's spouse cares for her but develops depression and panic disorder in the process.  For spoilers, the character pulls through in the end, but that chemo sure kicks her a** :(.  Chemo really knocks a person down :yes.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My current project, Beasts of the American West is no happy little walk in the park.
Spoilers below!
The main characters are a pair of bison/buffalo brothers trying to make a living in the mid 1800s, which as we know was a very bad time to be a bison/buffalo.  Blaze and Rhen are all that is left of their herd, which was wiped out by hunters.  The stor isn't real super dark but it will probably have a few moments in it before it is overwith.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Hmm...  Poe; yes, I like Poe very much!  Darker aspects?  Yes, they keep a story interesting, but some light elements in the dark, well, that helps too...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

buffypii

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/buffypii
Well, I enjoy doing both!
Often I write many emotional stories. But when I was nine I wrote one about a phantom. Today I wonder how a nine year old could get a phantom into her head!!
But I simply enjoy anything!

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
I enjoy writing either, but have a slight balance to dark. Don't know why, I keep getting the thing to make things go the worst way.