The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why does The Land Before Time only have a 7.4/10 on IMDB

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Seriously this has confused me for the longest time (no pun intended). How did this phenomenal film get what is considered a okay movie rating.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Probably has to do with it being animated or being "for kids". The assumption that animation is a children's' medium is a huge shame, and with a story as rich and (literally) timeless as this people overlook it completely. It's dark, but light-hearted enough to be enjoyable, and the art style is so appealing.  :wise

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
It also doesn't help that some people automatically look down on any animation that isn't Disney (which really results in them missing out).

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I mean yes the film is flawed, all movies are, but I didn't think it was so flawed that it deserved this rating.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I personally never look at movie or game ratings. Obviously, each people will rate it differently, because of his personal tastes, or vice versa - people would follow generally accepted concepts.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:14:46 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
It also doesn't help that some people automatically look down on any animation that isn't Disney (which really results in them missing out).
Absolutely. It’s a little irksome that Disney always gets a pass even if the film isn’t that good.  :ShortyDisgusted

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Absolutely. It’s a little irksome that Disney always gets a pass even if the film isn’t that good.  :ShortyDisgusted
I hate critics so much.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Anything above a 6 is actually really good on IMBd.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
As much as I love this film myself (it's even my favourite animated film of all time), user ratings are entirely subjective. Just because we all think it's amazing doesn't mean everyone else will agree with us. Some people might simply regard it as merely a good film but nothing special, or even just decent or merely okay. And that's fine; they're allowed to feel that way.

Also, as Gentle Sharptooth was saying, 7.4 is still a pretty good score. It's well into the positive range. An okay rating to me would be in the high 5 range, or possibly low 6. LBT is still rated higher than many other animated films from around that era, or just a lot of animated films in general. Or even non-animated films; there's plenty of other movies with ratings in the mid-6 range or even lower that I really enjoy. But that doesn't mean that their ratings are automatically wrong; it just means I don't feel the same way myself.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 02:28:54 PM by StardustSoldier »

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Create an account and give it 10 stars if you want to improve the score. I just dusted the mothballs off my ancient login to do so, it's easy. Threw a perfect score on Secret of NIMH too, deserves higher than 7.6

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 05, 2021, 04:37:20 AM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 05, 2021, 04:37:20 AM
Create an account and give it 10 stars if you want to improve the score. I just dusted the mothballs off my ancient login to do so, it's easy. Threw a perfect score on Secret of NIMH too, deserves higher than 7.6
Agree, that film is excellent :Mo

Mr. Clubtail

• Chomper
  • LITTLE THINGS ARE AWFUL I HATE EM!
    • View Profile
7.4 on IMDB sounds pretty high. In fact, here's what I think the following ratings mean.

0/10: The worst.

1/10: Horrible

2/10: Terrible

3/10: Pretty Bad

4/10: Bad

5/10: Good

6/10: Pretty good

7/10: Very good

8/10: Really good

9/10: Fantastic

10/10: The best

Oh and is it funny that whenever I see Mouse-a-saur's profile picture that the first bits of the song "Me and My Dad" play in my head.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:51:14 PM by Mr. Clubtail »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Yeah but this film deserves a much higher rating.

Had IMbD existed back during the LBT’s release in theaters it would have likely got 9.0 at the very least.

Alas most today probably don’t appreciate how incredible the animation was then and that it is melancholic film (has all the feels).

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith