The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Songs not to be sung carelessly

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
My recent post in the "what are you listening to" thread made me think a bit about one thing. Are there any songs in the US and any other country represented here in the GOF which by law or by custom mustn't be sung?
There are plenty of those in Germany. Nazi songs of repulsive content which wouldn't require a law not to be sung by any decent person :x
In fact several stanzas of the German national anthem are illegal (the extremely nationalist parts) to be sung.
Are there similar cases in your countries?
I know the songs of the Civil War are not illegal anywhere (and frequently part of the soundtrack of civil war related computer games), but are there still any restrictions on them or any other songs?

According to one anecdote Abraham Lincoln ordered a band to play Dixie after the capture of the confederate capital Richmond, stating that it was the best tune he ever heard and that now it was fairly reconquered.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
As far as I know, there are NO restrictions on music in America.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I know the songs of the Civil War are not illegal anywhere (and frequently part of the soundtrack of civil war related computer games), but are there still any restrictions on them or any other songs?

Huh?  I've never heard of Civil War songs being illegal.  I mean, if you walk down the street singing Dixie, don't expect to make any friends, but there is no law against it that I know of.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Huh? I've never heard of Civil War songs being illegal.
Aye, that is exactly what I wrote ;)
How are such songs taken up in which circumstances though?
And how are symbols such as confederate flags received where you live? Are such symbols / songs frequently displayed / heard?
These are questions to everyone living in the US.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Displaying the Confederate flag is considered to be in poor taste but it's not illegal.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Dec 13 2008 on  12:50 PM
Which state are you referring to Serris?
Any state it would be in poor taste.  Its probably even worse the further north you go.  Why would you fly a Confederate flag in NY?

There are no restrictions on music in this country to my knowledge.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is not the confederate flag still embedded in the state flags of quite a few southern states? Is not the Civil War song "Maryland my Maryland" still the official state song of the state Maryland (in spite of very pro confederate lyrics)? I do think that where you are does make a difference with regard to this. So I would really be very interested in knowing what the situation is like at everybody's home, both with regard to the general presence of the Civil War in public consciousness and with regard to the judgment of the South and the causes of the war.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know about a song that has been the anthem of the netherlands. Since I had to study the Wilhelmus(anthem now) for my dutch teacher I noticed that before we had a song which start with something around the lines:

"We are dutch with no faul or dirty blood"

So that meant like if you had no dutch blood streaming you wouldn't be 'clean'. Aren't we very mean for a multicultural country? :p

I dont think such songs should be sang, especially not as an anthem.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
From what I've observed in American entertainment, it is acceptable to Blacks if folks of any race other than Whites use the word "n*****" in their songs.  It's not illegal but rather seen as socially unacceptable for Whites to use that word, considering the history of the way Blacks were treated by Whites <_<.  To get to the point, nothing's illegal in American music, and actually some artists even talk about doing illegal things.  Just listen to half the things rappers talk about in their songs and you'll get an idea :rolleyes:.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure Lynyrd Skynyrd displays the confederate flag at every one of their concerts, as well as on their equipment.

Their music is pretty good, but that flag alienates quite a few of their fans. Still, no one gets arrested for singing Lynyrd Skynyrd songs

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I would say that any music should be sung un-carelessly. If a song is sung carelessly, the song has lost its meaning. We listen to music because we like it. If we begin to sing it carelessly, we have disgraced our liking of music, thereby rendering all music meaningless.