The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

ali in lbt 12

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://s8.invisionfree.com/AvP2000
wow realy cool but its how he'll be presented that worry me and the fact that the perents dont even know who chomper is but id doubt the creators would represent chomper in this way.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My concern though, is the fact that the cast, and even the director has changed over since LBT 4, when Ali was last introduced.  Perhaps the new development team has no plans for Ali whatsoever. :(

Anyways, regarding Chomper.

As long as they can explain how the heck he got off that island, or why the Gang went to visit him, it won't be so bad.  I just sincerely hope they don't magically transport him into the Great Valley to be with the Gang of (six?  Ugh... I still don't like the sound of that).

I fail to see how they could execute the use of Chomper's character as a relatively major cast member.  He is too far away from the other main characters' homeland.  If they do include Chomper on a regular basis (which in a way I hope they don't, for a similar reason as Ali, explained above), I hope they put him in logical plots.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Yes, there will be a 13. land before time movie. You need not take my word for it. It is already mentioned on Aria's webpage (a very tiny note in the list of movies in which she has performed respectively is going to perform). You will find the following line there:
The Land Before Time 5-13   Lead (Ducky) - MCA Universal
And yes, Chomper too is going to be part of the TV series, but with a new voice.
Personally I would really like to see Ali again (there is no whatsoever information that there are any plans about her), yet I agree that she should not be made a permanent member of the Gang of Five. The producers have been very careful about adding permanent characters to the series (I can't think of a single one). In case of Bron they seemed to take a real effort to keep him out. There would have been no way not to mention him (as Littlefoot's Dad he would be too important) in future stories if he had accompanied them to the Great Valley (while other characters such as Mr. Thicknose, Dinah, Dana, Pat, Hyp, Nod, Mud etc. are simply not mentioned anymore). So they had to send him away with a very poor excuse.
With so much efforts to keep the gang of five a gang of FIVE I don't expect that there will be any permanent characters though I wouldn't rule out the possibility for good.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes, Chomper is going to be in the TV series.  It was confirmed in one of the first announcements of the TV series.  It did say that Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, Spike and Chomper would be having new never before seen adventures.

Ali returning as a pernament part of the series I would like to have happen, though it would change the series forever.  Besides, a good amount of people like the idea of a Littlefoot&Ali romance. :lol: (Just about every fanfiction you see on fanfiction.net has a hint for them.)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Of course it would alter the series, but then again, if the situation is handled well, the impact would be minor. Like I said before Ali became friends with everyone before she left, so expanding the gang to include her would make sense. Any relationship between her and Littlefoot would only be hinted at, after all the main focus of the series is younger kids. The older diehards can smile, nudge and wink at the undertones, but any relationship would be cast as simply that of two good friends. Remember how bringing Bron in was supposed to change the series? that character was not handled well imo.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, you are one of the most vivid supporters of romance ideas in LBT pokeplayer. While I do not oppose the idea of romance in LBT in general and while I do think there are some indications in some of the movies I sometimes think that you are seeing some where there aren't any.
Having a very close relationship with Ali would definitely alter Littlefoot's relationship to the others as well. If there was a kind of romance Ali couldn't simply be treated just like any other character. I have very often laid out my impression of a "sandbox-love" between Littlefoot and Ali. I do oppose anything much more serious than the undertones Nick already mentioned.
They are kids; that we mustn't forget!
I'm not prudish, but there shouldn't be anything like the content of many fanfiction in the land before time movies. We can take it for granted that there won't be.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To be sure, malte, any romance between them would only be hinted at, very subtly. Like I said, if handled correctly the channge would be minor. These are kids, after all. "love' is understood by them only in simple terms. They love thier their parents, and those are the only creatures that they 'love'. We could say (being mature people) that they love each other as well, but they don't say it aloud. it's more of an unspoken understanding.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Essay time! :P:
Yes, Chomper is going to be in the TV series. It was confirmed in one of the first announcements of the TV series. It did say that Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, Spike and Chomper would be having new never before seen adventures.

At this point, it will be difficult to say just how often Chomper will be included in the series, but he is another case where I hope he doesn't become a permanent member of the Gang, for a number of reasons.  First of all, being a sharptooth, he would not generally be welcome in the Great Valley.  Second of all, if he was there, chances are his parents would also be there.  I fail to see a logical way to move full-grown sharpteeth into the Great Valley permanently.  

Another possibility is that Chomper's parents are killed, or Chomper is seperated from them for some reason.  I am then curious as to how Chomper would make it all the way to the Great Valley without his parents.  Not to mention, I doubt Chomper knows the way to the Great Valley (unless the Gang told him in detail how they got to his island, when they met him again in LBT 5, in a scene the audience didn't see).

As long as
1) They don't make Chomper a permanent member of the Gang, in most or all episodes, and
2) They don't magically transport anyone anywhere,
I'll be happy. :D

Having a very close relationship with Ali would definitely alter Littlefoot's relationship to the others as well. If there was a kind of romance Ali couldn't simply be treated just like any other character. I have very often laid out my impression of a "sandbox-love" between Littlefoot and Ali.

I see where you're coming from, however I still can't believe in a relationship between Littlefoot and Ali as being as strong as the relationships between Littlefoot and Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike.  I get this impression for a few reasons, such as:

- Littlefoot and the rest of the Gang are often thinking of each other.  For example, when Spike leaves, the Gang feels hurt and Ducky especially misses him very much.  The Gang is concerned about him until the very end, when Spike's herd stumbles across the Great Valley dinosaurs' hot springs.  I will admit this is not necessarily a fair arguement because Ali leaves at the very end of LBT 4, leaving no time for anyone to feel her "loss".  If we take a look into the series, however, Ali is Never again mentioned by any members of the Gang, including Littlefoot.  That makes me wonder just how close they really are to Ali.  They didn't know her as well as they know each other.  I'm sure Littlefoot would like to see her again, but there is no evidence of this.  Another problem with this arguement is that we don't know how much time passes between LBT 4 and 5, etc.  As we may have heard, "Time heals all wounds."  If a year or so passed, I can see that maybe they Gang had "moved on" regarding Ali.

If Littlefoot did feel as close as even the beginnings of "love" or even "sandbox love" as mentioned previously, I would have expected him to mention Something relating to her at some point.  There have been 7 movies and 8 years (LBT 4 was 1996, LBT 11 was 2004) since Littlefoot has seen her.  I suppose after this long (though we don't know how long this actually is, in LBT-time), there is a chance that Littlefoot has lost much of his connection with her.
What does seem slightly odd though, is that she is never mentioned in the more recent films to LBT 4 (LBT 5, 6).  I would have figured that Littlefoot or somebody would have mentioned her at some point.

Another possibility though, is there hasn't exactly been a time in conversation where the characters would talk about Ali.  They're generally distracted by something larger (lack of food, reunion with an old friend, enquiring into Doc's history, 'fixing' the bad luck) so that the relationship to Ali simply fell on the back burner in their minds.  I can basically accept this as justification as to why Ali is never mentioned in later films.

Littlefoot and the Gang only knew Ali for a short while.  Her herd arrived in the Great Valley in daylight. That same night, they set off for the Valley of Mists, they spent a full day getting there, and were home the next morning.  They knew each other existed for a grand total of approximately 48 hours before Ali's herd departed from the Great Valley.

I can certainly see a friendship relationship beginning to grow after such time, but I doubt that the kind of love that endears the hearts of the Gang together could be as strong between Littlefoot and Ali, after such a short time together.

Then again, on the opposite end of the arguement, Littlefoot does seem relatively quick to bond with and make relationships with others.  We saw this as early as his first meetings with Cera, Ducky, Petrie, Spike, Chomper, and later on, Doc, Mo, Shorty, and even Skitter.  He seems quick to accept and enjoy spending time with new friends.  Chances are, his relationship with Ali is no different.  For Littlefoot, it seems, 48 hours is more than enough time to build a strong relationship.  He is willing to accept others for who they are (eg. Chomper) and offers his help when he can (eg. helping Ali understand how different kinds of dinosaurs can be good friends, too).

Comparatively though, Littlefoot has known, grown with, and spent large amounts of time with the rest of the Gang for years (?).  He has still only spent less than 48 hours with Ali, and even less than that, with just the two of them, one on one.

Even so, the love between Littlefoot and the Rest of the Gang is still probably on a higher, closer level than the love between Littlefoot and Ali.  If Littlefoot were to run into another female longneck, I suspect a similar situation to Littlefoot and Ali's would occur.  He would be interested in making friends relatively quickly, and would be excited to introduce her to the rest of the Gang.  We seem to believe that this relationship between Littlefoot and Ali is particularily special.  I'm sure it has a lot of value for both characters, but compared to what may happen if another female longneck comes along, it's hard to say.  It's a difficult topic because we have never seen Littlefoot's behaviour with any other female longnecks his age.  Just because she's the only one he's ever met, doesn't necessarily say that the two have a special relationship any different from the rest of their friends.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A long post Action and here's my rebuttal. They spent more than 48 hours together, a pasing herd would at least spend a few days in the valley before moving on. also,Remember that Grandpa told Littlefoot that if he didn't make it, for Littlefoot and Grandma to go with Ali's herd. So there was the very real possibility of him leaving.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Futhermore, Cera would be so ticked if they only played together once or twice. We can assume that Littlefoot played with ali several times straight, maybe a week or so, before Cera's comments.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll watch LBT 4 again tonight and post a response after that.  I need to check up on all the details :lol

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You do have several very good points Tim.
The possibility that the relationship between Littlefoot and Ali is generally overestimated has never been discussed before.
I suppose that in this case very much is up to opinion and interpretation of possibilities the movie did not tell about.
Action9000 wrote:
They knew each other existed for a grand total of approximately 48 hours before Ali's herd departed from the Great Valley.
Nick22 wrote:
They spent more than 48 hours together, a pasing herd would at least spend a few days in the valley before moving on.
I think neither of this can be taken for granted. Tim is certainly right about approximately 48 hours being the time presented to us in the movie. However, there might have been a certain time (possibly several days) between the healing of Littlefoot's grandfather and the departing of the herd. There was a change of scene and we don't learn anything about the time that may or may not have passed between the two scenes. The old one mentioned that the herd never stays anywhere for a very long time, but on the other hand just moving in one day and moving out the next without even resting properly doesn't seem a very likely thing to do for a herd.
While I do think that indeed Littlefoot and the others knew Ali only for a very short time it may well be that they knew each other for a few more days than we know of. They certainly know each other longer than they know Chomper who (inspite of appearing in two movies already) is there for no more than 24 hours (unless you count the time before his hatching in LBT 2). Considering the special difficulties of their relationship, this too could work out as a hint to the fact that they all make friends rather quickly.
As for the time in LBT, I often have a problem with the timing and LBT 4 is the best example. The extremely short time it takes for Littlefoot and the others to go to the land of mists, find the nightflower and get back, is seriously interfering with one of the LBT stories I'm planing on. Unless I want the plot of that story to be squeezed into an even shorter timespan (and I don't want to) I must consider presenting a different distance from the Great Valley to the land of mists than the distance presented in LBT 4. Anyway, I'm straying from the topic.
Futhermore, Cera would be so ticked if they only played together once or twice. We can assume that Littlefoot played with ali several times straight, maybe a week or so, before Cera's comments.
Unless I'm really confusing something, this is a possibility that can be ruled out. Cera was reserved against Ali right after their first meeting. The illness of Littlefoot's grandfather was already showing signs on the morning Ali's herd arrived in the Valley. I consider it almost 100% certain that the real outbreak of the illness was the very same evening. There is absolutely NO indication that there was any more time Littlefoot and Ali had together before they set out to the land of mist. If Littlefoot and Ali had more time together than we know of, it would be after the adventure of LBT 4 and before the herd's departure.
If we take a look into the series, however, Ali is Never again mentioned by any members of the Gang, including Littlefoot. That makes me wonder just how close they really are to Ali. They didn't know her as well as they know each other.
While it is obvious that Littlefoot and the others know each other much longer and better than Ali I don't think that the fact of Ali being never mentioned again is an indication for the possibility that they don't care as much about each other as is usually supposed. One "cruel" fact is that it is not Littlefoot nor any of the others who is telling us the stories. The stories are told by film makers and what does not contribute to the plot of a movie is simply not included into it. It is for that reason (and no other) that we never ever heard a word again from the many permanent residents to the Great Valley who appeared in only one movie. Unless we assume that every single one of them (including little Dinah and Dana) just left the Great Valley and was forgotten immediately we must assume that they are still around. If nevertheless they are kept out of the movie then the only reason for this is, that the film makers don't have any use for them in the stories. Now take a look at LBT 5 to 11 the way they are, not the way they could have been (usually meeting Ali again would have been a logical consequence of all the longnecks moving to that crater. Obviously not all were there after all). Is there any movie in which a depiction of Littlefoot thinking or talking about Ali would have contributed to the story? Certainly not. This is no proof however he or the others don't think or speak about her at other times or without us being aware of it.
Even so, the love between Littlefoot and the Rest of the Gang is still probably on a higher, closer level than the love between Littlefoot and Ali.
I would rather say that (if indeed there is a kind of sand-box love between Littlefoot and Ali) that would make it a different rather than a higher or lower level from the relationship of Littlefoot and the others. But I think I know what you mean. The fact that Littlefoot and the others have gone through so much more and have spend so much more time together certainly is a fact that mustn't be ignored. However, I think that the fact that Littlefoot and Ali are of the same species mustn't be ignored either (well, you didn't ignore it). So far we had very, very few cases of one of the LBT main characters interacting with members of the own species. It almost seems like either there weren't so many longnecks in the Great Valley as Littlefoot's mother had expected in the first movie or else Littlefoot is simply not interested in them (which again would support the theory of Littlefoot feeling more than just the ordinary every day kind of friendship for Ali).

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
hay guys sorry i couldent reply for a while i wanted to but i had some movies siting on the table and i wanted to whatch them.

but im back and ill tell you one theory i came up with about the love relationship(if there is one)between littlefoot and ali in my opinion its like a relationship where ali loves littlefoot but littlefoot doesent know it also she gives away lots of indication for such love when ever she looks at littlefoot for instance its clear she isnt looking at him normaly also even before she became friends with the gang she would show this infection for him so in simple terms its girl loves boy and boy is clueless thats my opinion

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Love is a very strong word Titan. and should not be used carelessly. Does she care for littlefoot? Yes. but Love is IMO too strong to describe her feelings.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
sorry didnt know but your right its a strong word and a powerfull one also if you dont mind me asking how did we get from the return of ali to a relationship between ali and littlefoot anyways im not trying to be a hard head im just asking in curiosity but i still go with my opinion

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One person who wrote a fanfic interpreted that Ali had been taught the lessons of the past.  The old ruling of keeping to your own kind made her afraid to become friends with other herds and not feel superior to the others as the lessons were meant to do.  She definately showed the fear when she met the rest of the gang for the first time. (Hiding under Littlefoot was just screaming fear.)

Though if this is true, it would highly explain why she was only interested in making friends with Littlefoot.

However, this interpretation causes a small problem that can't be ruled out.  It's turning towards the ones she fears for help when Littlefoot is nearly buried alive by a rockslide.  Under normal circumstances one would not turn to those they fear for help.

Granted they are his friends and that possibly made it a little easier, but it takes alot of courage to ask for help from those you fear.  Love is said to bring alot of courage when it really matters.  So love is a possibility that gave her the courage she needed to ask Littlefoot's friends for help.

This is one of the hints I have found by myself in LBT 4.

And yes, Malte, I am most possibly the one who fantasises about romance in LBT the most on this board.  I just love romance too much. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
TITANOSAUR may be right about Ali's feelings for Littlefoot come closer to love than Littlefoot's.
(I don't think "care" can be used as an alternative word in this context Nick. Everyone in the gang cares about Littlefoot and yet there is something different about the relationship between Ali and Littlefoot. Something that may have been overrated for a long time as Action9000 pointed out, but nevertheless something different from the friendship with the others.)
Remember this scene after Ali left when she first met Cera and the others? She is looking at Littlefoot in this funny way and Littlefoot says "Oh gee..." In the German translation he says something that (if translated back to English) would come closer to "Oh dear!" As if he was almost a little frightened. That look of Ali's tells Littlefoot something but apparently he is not a hundred percent certain what to make of it.
Also it is mainly Ali and Cera who are exchanging sort of spiteful looks on a few occassions behind Littlefoot's back. Littlefoot appears to be blissfully unaware of this.
One person who wrote a fanfic interpreted that Ali had been taught the lessons of the past.
There are many fanfictions which in my opinion go way too far! I have been rumbling about that very un-LBT like fanfictions many times. I persist to think of the relationship between Littlefoot and Ali as a kind of sandbox-love not comparable to the relationships between older dinosaurs. Remember, they are kids!
Nevertheless it may well be that in the homogenous herd of longnecks Ali may have learned more about love than Littlefoot did in the Great Valley (he is unaware that EVERY child has both, a mother and a father). There is another interesting point about Ali being part of that herd. Even though they never bother to show any other longneck kid I take it for granted that there must be other young longnecks with that herd (same as I take it there would have to be other young longnecks in the Great Valley). But apparently Ali is more "interested" (sorry, I don't know of a better term) in Littlefoot. Perhaps this is just because he is not with the herd. I wouldn't be surprised if Ali would settle down at some place as beautiful than the Great Valley rather than always taking the toils and risks of migrating. This may be included into her legendary quote "The world is changing. Maybe we'll all live together some day." I think I have written on this elsewhere, already. Perhaps Ali is under the impression that in the long run all the migrating herds will try to settle down somewhere if there is a place that provides enough food even in the long run. Maybe Littlefoot's being so different by having learned other habits (for example his way to live with other kinds) made him more interesting for Ali, while that kind of interest was not on Littlefoot's end (as he is quite happy to live in the Great Valley and shows a certain reluctance against the herd life, or at least against the leadership of the Old One).

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
the fact that there can or is such relationship between the two wouldent be such a bad idia in most cases the fact that there kids usualy isnt thought of in relationships in japan even children are put in sictuations when there parents deside who there children are going to marry although no such evedence has been found in lbt it wouldent leed any one to think such relationship isnt possible.even in a early age

:) also if your goin to use a short name for me use david it is my origanal name k B)  :^.^: just not to often

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I would love too see Ali at least in one more movie. I don't know about her joining the Great Valley though a lot of people are used too just the five of them. About Little Foot and Ali being in a relationship. I don't know about that. I mean when Little Foot and Ali met in number 4 there was no sign whatsoever of Littlefoot and Ali being more then friends. And I'm just not too sure if it's for the best if Ali comes back and Little Foot now wants her as a girlfriend. But having Ali in another movie would be great.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
As much as I've love to see Ali make her seemingly over-subscribed return (I mean that in a good way), I don't play on the idea of a love relationship between her and Littlefoot.  As Malte and Nick said before, there must be a childish attraction there but nothing so strong for them to form a relationship bond as in life-long partners. Also, I reckon that the idea of Ali becoming a 6th party member to the gang would be slightly edgy. I think that these specific breeds of dinos were selected for a reason i.e. they're all different. If Ali suddenly became another member, the weighted balance of characters breeds would be tipped towards that of the longnecks. To me, it seems as though the longnecks seem to have some means of mental superiority over the other breeds of dinos in the GV, eg Grandpa and Grandma Longneck have been on a few occasions, regarded as the leaders of the Great Valley (from others I've spoken to). We all know that this is not true as Grandpa says in LBT 7 "Then, as now, we made an agreement as a group. No one opinion out-weighing the other." Dominance is too strong a descriptive word because it is not a display of "who rules over the others" but particularly with the longnecks (i.e. LF's grandparents) they seem to be the wisest, more knowledgeable and open-minded about situations (e.g. Doc entering the valley, Pterano's sentencing (Grandpa longneck stating the punishment) etc. all besides Mr. Thicknose) They seem to be the leadership "qualities".

Relating this back to Ali, somehow I think a careful balance has had to have been considered regarding Ali. If she popped up in every LBT flick at some point...she'd most likely be considered as a member of the group skewing the proportion of breeds 2:1. Therefore, enhancing the "dominance" (don't like that word but can't think of any other) of longnecks. And in doing that, I reckon the power in  the group could be somewhat dwindled as they all had to learn to accept their differences as individual breeds, overcome their biases and prejudices to achieve a common goal. As in the first LBT movie