The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Big Change

Riphstar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, long time no see.

well yesterday i bought the LBT IX, and X.
and while watching the lbt X i saw a big change in graphics. it's really new to me to see all the big changes in the LBT movies. i still the remember the water color backgrounds from the previous movies. but the new 3D animation guess i will have to get use to this now. i dont have a problem with the new graphics i think there cool. but what do you guys think about the new change of graphics?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
A lot of the 2-D animation (what's left of it anyway) strongly blends the normal cel-animation and the 3-D effects done by computer...what matters is how well can both mediums be blended into one another.  When the CG first started appearing in LBT, suddenly the characters looked like they had some depth to them...they actually got shading!!!  That was the best thing they did.  Now, the CG doesn't blend terribly well in LBT 10 at all...the tree, the water...it's a tad sloppy, but I guess practice makes perfect.  From what I remember in LBT 11, I don't remember the animation having that sloppy blend so obviously they learned some things in the process.  It's going good.  But good animation a successful film does not make...

Riphstar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I remember in LBT 10 for there camera they used a new zoom in and out rotation movement for the lbt this effect was first used in LBT 7. what a lot of change but i havent seen the LBT 11 yet maybe i will buy it when i get the money

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I remember the first 3D animation in LBT 7 (during the introduction) which didn't blend in well with the surroundings. In my opinion the best job they did concerning blending 3D elements and photorealistic elements (water in particular) into the movie was in LBT 9. They really did a very good job there. I don't remember a scene from Journey to big water where the 3D or photorealistic stuff didn't blend nicely with the rest of the scenery.
Regretably I cannot say the same about LBT 10. Photorealistic skys often seemed to contrast strongly with the rest of the landscape. It wasn't too bad, but certainly worse than in LBT 9. What I really disliked about the 3D animation in LBT 10 was the scene in which Littlefoot climbs up a tree to spot the crater where all the longnecks are heading. When I saw the 3D animation of the branch he is climbing from Littlefoot's eyes point of view I felt strongly reminded to a play console game rather than a movie. It really didn't fit in; at least it didn't in my opinion.
One thing I regretted about LBT 10 is that Charles Grossvenor obviously didn't give up on turning the landscapes and everything red in case of danger. I had hoped he had abandoned this (in my opinion) exaggerated concept of representing a dangerous situation. In this case he went as far as to turn even the characters red!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I think they were just experimenting with the different ways to combine everything.  Putting together 2D and 3D into a perfect form of art is not an easy task and requires much experience to do perfectly. :P:

I will indeed admit LBT 9 to be the best they ever did with combining 2D and 3D together.  Everything just seemed to blend so well in that sequal.  It did indeed go downhill after LBT 9.

I just hope they have learned from their mistakes. -_-