The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 5 Revision

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I was watching lbt 5 last night and I thought of some interesting topics to discuss about it.

The constant innuendo to lbt 1 and 2;
Chomper having 3 fingers instead of 2;
Cera still mistrusting him eventhough everything worked out ok in lbt 2;
Chomper being able to talk, which he wasn't;
That green sharptooth, species, Giganotosaurus maybe?

And that's what I can remember, what do you think?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Heheh! I don't know what innuendo means, but I was actually watching it last night. I never noticed the number of fingers he had.  I'm sure there are many riddles behind that (animation mistake), but since Chomper is older he is able to walk...I think.  :huh: The other sharptooth on the island I'm not sure how he got there, but if Chomper and his family got there, then I'm sure it found away to. Well, at least that's what I think about all of these. :lol

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Innuendo means "blurry reference to", like when you want to say something but you don't say it directly you give hints and people get it. :D
I don't know for sure but I think that in the end credits they say the sharptooth is an Allosaurus, that can't be since they were smaller than T-Rex's =x

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The constant innuendo to lbt 1 and 2;
Constant may be a bit of an exaggeration, but there were certainly more such references than in previous movies, and I think, up to this day more than in any LBT movie including LBT 10.
The mentions were mainly the really beautiful one of Littlefoot's mother in the song "Always There" which did not however directly refer to any scene from the original movie. I would love to hear a mention of "Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart."
The other mention was the "summary" of who Chomper was. It refered more directly to the events of LBT, mentioning the eggeaters, yet I still suppose it to be intended mainly to give anybody who didn't see LBT 2 a very vague idea of who Chomper was. The message was mainly: "They know this sharptooth an they are friends."
Chomper having 3 fingers instead of 2;
This fact was a few time mentioned in other discussions somewhere. I suppose the reason is a practical one. They needed a Chomper with proper hands in LBT 5. It might have looked strange to have him drag the big leaf with the food for the gang holding it between two fingers. The scientifically correct depiction of the dinosaurs is not an extremely high priority in LBT (though higher than in some other dinosaur movies), so I suppose they just added one claw for asthetic reasons.
Cera still mistrusting him eventhough everything worked out ok in lbt 2;
Cera always seems to be disliked for this. However, I suppose that in a version of LBT 5 (or generally a story with Chomper) that wouldn't beat the bush about Chomper's being a carnivore as much as it is the case, Cera would appear much more reasonable. The way the whole problem is brought across in LBT Cera appears like a racist, almost like somebody who would get frenzy about anybody's skin color. It would be much more difficult to write a not so harmless LBT story, but it would do more justice to Chomper, Cera, and anybody else concerned. There is no way to deny that, by rescuing Chomper, Littlefoot and the others caused the doom of many other herbivores. I would expect Littlefoot to feel just a little more uneasy remembering the fate of him and his mother in the original movie. He probably caused the same fate to befall others. Does he ever think of his mother when he sees Chomper and his parents? In spite of LBT 5 being the first sequel to mention Littlefoot's mother we don't get the impression that he ever thinks about her while not singing the song. He doesn't seem to draw a line between the sharptooth who killed his mother an Chomper and his parents who are presented as more "cuddly". I don't suppose them to be any more evil or good than the sharptooth of the original movie if it comes to food. I think that Cera had some very good points, which were never elaborated in the movie as it would have made her appear more reasonable, and Littlefoot less so.
Chomper being able to talk, which he wasn't;
I suppose that Chomper must have had contact with other leafeaters since LBT 2. He also must have quite a good memory (remembering the first day of his life so clearly). The theory of his having contact with other leafeaters while under the care of his parents may be further enhanced by his mother's admonishon not to play with the food which might (but not necessarily) indicate that he played with "food" before. This however would probably cause Chomper some uneasiness, wouldn't it? If he has too much contact with what he has to regard as food? How would he deal with that?
That green sharptooth, species, Giganotosaurus maybe?
I'm quite sure it was a Giganotosaurus. There has been a long discussion on the N54 forum about the species of the LBT 5 sharptooth. My reasons to agree that it was probably a Giganotosaurus can be found in that discussion in which theories of it being a Carnotaur respectively an Allosaur were raised.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
That pretty much sums it up. I used to think of lbt 5 as the starting point for a new round of events on the lbt series. Lbt 5 was similar to one and 2, lbt 6 to 3, and 7 was supposed to have some similiarity with 4 and probably colminating in Ali's return, however, that didn't happen \:

As for the sharptooth, I think the Carnotaurus theory is completely unfounded, that predator is missing the horns and the short arms, much like T-Rex's of the real Carnotaurus. Allosaurus is just a stupid guess, he's bigger, and some characteristics such as the face and his spine are more similar to Giganotosaurus illustrations than to Allosaurus. Still this is an animated movie so accuracy is not one of its greater concerns.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I had always thought the LBT 5 sharptooth had horns.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
As a matter of fact there are projections on that sharptooth's skull which might be interpreted as horns. If it wasn't for the Carnotaur being considerably smaller than a T-Rex the idea of the LBT 5 sharptooth being a Carnotaur wouldn't appear so wrong at all. However, the sharptooth seems at least of equal size as Chomper's parents. Moreover the projections on his head are colored in the same green as his skin. While that doesn't disqualify those projections from being horns, they may just as well be just minor bumps.
Here is a picture for reference:

Thanks to Tim for that screenshot. It was him who sent it to me some time ago  :yes

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I found a couple pictures of Giganotosaurus. It had small horns/bumps on its head not unlike the LBT 5 sharptooth.

http://home.att.net/~sl.schofield3/dinosau...ntinosaurus.jpg

http://web.tiscali.it/dinosauriweb/giganotosaurus_z1.jpg More unnoticeable here, but the bumps are still present.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm.. I didn't notice or consider those things to be horns, but I've seen Giganotosaurus illustrations with those things, still there's a matter of the arm size, in Carnotaurus they were really small, unlike this shaprtooth

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if they take into full account the true size and shape of dinosaurs at times. T-Rex's arms are too short to even touch each other, and yet Chomper's mother was able to pick up her son effortlessly.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 25 2006 on  03:19 PM
I'm not sure if they take into full account the true size and shape of dinosaurs at times. T-Rex's arms are too short to even touch each other, and yet Chomper's mother was able to pick up her son effortlessly.
Of course they don't! Everything is exaggerated. The T. Rex in LBT1 was seen scratching his nose to get the thorns out during that whole...um...Littlefoot-and-Cera-hide-in-the-thorn-thicket scene...um...umm...wow, I haven't watched those movies in a long time, so at the moment I can't think of any more examples. Oh. And the LBT1 T. Rex jumped up a cliff. :blink: And jumped on Littlefoot's mother's back. That right there is impossible, in my view. But the LBT series weren't meant to be scientifically accurate. The dinosaur, I think, are just the 'basic idea', if that makes any sense. Yeah...I'm rambling now.