The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The land before time around the world

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
We all know the land before time as this as "the land before time". However, I was wondering about what the land before time is called in other countries. So far I have only a few results, but there are some variations in meaning.

In the Netherlands it is called "Plaetvoet en zijn Vriendjes". Littlerally this means "Flatfoot and his friends" unless I'm very mistaken.
As the title suggest there are some own names for the characters too in the Netherlands.
Littlefoot is Platvoet
Cera remained Cera
Petrie is fladder (I think an English equivalent would be flapper)
Ducky is Beckie
Spike would be Punt (I suppose this is a translation of Spike)
Chomper would be Happer (which I think is a rather good translation of Chomper)
Many (not all) other names remained the same in Dutch. They can be looked up on the excellent webpage of our member Platvoet en zijn Vriendjes.

The French title of the land before time is "Le Petit Dinosaure et la vallÈe des  merveilles". I'm very, very poor in French, but I think this would literally mean "The little dinosaur and the Valley of wonders".
Littlefoot is Petit-Pied (litteral translation of Littlefoot I think)
Cera is CÈra (so only the French pronounciation sign was added)
Ducky remained Ducky
Petrie is PÈtrie (same as Cera)
Spike became Pointu (as literal a translation I think as there can be)
Inspite of the title the Great Valley is literally translated as "la Grande VallÈe", so the "vallÈe des merveilles" seems to be limited to the title (though I'm not a hundred percent certain about this).
There is a French version of "If we hold on together".
The sequels run just under the label "Le Petite Dinosaure" plus the sequel title I think:

In German "The land before time" is "In einem Land vor unserer Zeit" which is literally "In a land before our time".
The main characters all kept their English names (which I expect might confuse some of the younger watchers of LBT IX when one of the tinysaurs points out the meaning of Littlefoot's name).
A few background character's names have been changed.
Mr. Thicknose for example was poorly translated to "Meister Plattnase" (literally "Master Flatnose").
There is a German version of If we hold on together. It varies somewhat from the content of the original song, but for the honor of the translators I must say that I consider it impossible to make a good one to one translation into German, so they did farely well.

In Swedish "The land before time" is "Landet fˆr l‰ngesedan" I don't know enough Swedish to give a literal translation of this. I can only guess that it comes farely close to the original meaning.
Littlefoot is Lillefot (probably a translation though it might be the English name just made sound Swedish without actually translating it. I really don't know for sure).
Ducky I think was turned into Kvacki (no idea at all about the meaning).

This is an image of the Russian cover of LBT 8 showing us the Russian spelling of the land before time.

I'm not a hundred percent certain, but I think the language on this cover is Polish.

I found what I expect (from the country codes in the urls) to be the Spanish, Czech, Turkish, and the Hungarian version of some covers too, but those images were so small you couldn't even read the script.
I would be happy for this list to be continued by anyone who can contribute more (I think I saw Japanese and Arabian covers too at google, but I didn't refind them now). New Order, what is the land before time in Portugese and are the character names different?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Now that's awesome Malte.  See this is the kind of research you historian types do to see how things affect people around the world.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey, nice find. I do remember seeing a Japanese version on google. Forgot where on Google I found it. :huh:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
See this is the kind of research you historian types do to see how things affect people around the world.
Not quite, as the "research" is largely based on Wikipedia and google which wouldn't be accepted in a scientific work :P:
These days I have quite a lot to do about the latter. One presentation yesterday, one on November 9th, one on November 16th, one in December, 20 pages to be written on two of the presentations (20 pages each) and of course additional stuff to read and write... Again I prove the Germans championship if it comes to complaining about everything ;) Still the degree of work is going to limit my GOF time a bit for a while.
Anyway, I hope that we can come up with some more language versions in this list :)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Phew! Quite an find you dug up there Malte! LOL! Scientific or not, it's still interesting to see the different variations of the of LBT across the globe. Somehow, an American - British translation just doesn't quite seem so impressive! LOL  :lol If ya do find anything more, let us know! ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is no US / UK English translation, is there? Most characters talk distinctly American, don't they?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've seen some UK DVD's and they're the same but they could've done a TV version or something like that.

By the way, I can help you with another language =p

In Portuguese, the land before time is called: "Em busca do Vale Encantado" which litteraly means "In search of the enchanted valley"
Littlefoot is called PÈzinho (meaning Littlefoot) in the european version and he keeps his name in the brazilian one;
Cera keeps her name in the PT(EU) but changes to Saura (meaning Saura =p) in the PT(BR);
Ducky is called Patola (which means duck but in a goofy way) in the PT(EU), and Patassaura in the PT(BR) (which means "duck female dinosaur")
Petrie keeps his name in the PT(EU) version, but changes to Pedr?cio in the PT(BR) (it's a weird change of the name Peter (Pedro in Portuguese) that only the brazilian use;
Spike is called Espig„o in PT(EU) and Espora in PT(BR) (they both mean spike, only we say it different from brazilians, there are quite a lot of differences between the both variations)

Here are some covers:

http://www.fnac.pt/pt/Catalog/Detail.aspx?...t=5050582290660
http://www.fnac.pt/pt/Catalog/Detail.aspx?...t=5050582290639
http://www.fnac.pt/pt/Catalog/Detail.aspx?...t=5050582263596

I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hello, everyone. My name's Lain_EX and I'm from Mexico. *puts a sombrero on his head* The reason I'm here is to tell ya da names of The Land Before Time here in Mexico.

First of all, the name of the movie is La tierra antes del tiempo (literally translated, isn't it?). It's A.K.A Pie PequeÒo en busca del Valle Encantado (this isn't so literal). Da names of da characters are...

Littlefoot is Piecito (Only in da 1st movie, 'cause in da sequels is named Pie PequeÒo).

Cera and Petrie remain wit their original names in all movies.

Ducky is named Patito (only in da 1st movie, she remains wit her original name in da sequels).

And Spike is named Puas (only in da 1st Movie, he also remains wit his original name in da seqiels).

As you can see, some names were literally translated. And... that's all.

Oh, I almost forgot, thnx to DarkHououmon for making me know about dis website. VIVA MEXICO!!!  :wave

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Welcome with us Lain_Ex!  :)
It is always a pleasure to have new members joining us.
So in fact some of the land before time characters had their names changed to the English names while they had different names in the original movie? I wonder if it was the same in the Spanish version of the land before time.

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, thnx Malte279. I just joined these forums thnx to DarkHououmon, a friend I met at fanfiction.net in a LBT forum. Once again, thnx DarkHououmon

(Dis is outta topic. Isn't it?) -_-

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lain_EX isn't your LBT in castillano?
As for your question Malte, I've checked out some of the lbt spanish versions and the names remain the same at least 'till no5. In the Portuguese version it's a complete mess. The characters have different names in lbt 1, in fact on Littlefoot remains throughout the sequels with the same name (you guessed it "Littlefoot"). Spike has a different name in almost every sequel, Cera and Ducky are the ones that only change once or twice, Petrie lost his name around lbt 6 and returned to Petrie ever since. They should try to be more coherent with this, they just don't care that there are people out there who actually follow the series. -_-
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Nov 19 2006 on  04:10 AM
Lain_EX isn't your LBT in castillano?
As for your question Malte, I've checked out some of the lbt spanish versions and the names remain the same at least 'till no5. In the Portuguese version it's a complete mess. The characters have different names in lbt 1, in fact on Littlefoot remains throughout the sequels with the same name (you guessed it "Littlefoot"). Spike has a different name in almost every sequel, Cera and Ducky are the ones that only change once or twice, Petrie lost his name around lbt 6 and returned to Petrie ever since. They should try to be more coherent with this, they just don't care that there are people out there who actually follow the series. -_-
I guess you're right, NewOrder.