The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT crossing overs, yes or no?

Serris · 55 · 4868

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Jun 13 2008 on  05:23 PM
Thanks, LettuceBacon&Tomato! I was hoping that it would help make crossovers more appealing. A crossover is like a new kind of food. Screw up and everyone hates you for it, but create smoething interesting and suddenly everyone loves your creation. I simply try as best I can to turn my idea into words.
My next fanfic will be a major crossover.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Jan 13 2008 on  03:16 PM
I actually created an award for outstanding crossovers: The Grand Cross (The name is a pun)

Eligibility Rules:

Must be fan fiction

Must be a cross-over
Crossover -fusion of 2 or more books/movies/cartoons/games
At least 1 character from each work added to cross over must appear in it
At least 1 character from each work must play a role in the plot.
Cameo appearances are permitted only if the above 2 requirements are met
At least 1 character from each work must have lines
Exception: If it is stated that said character is mute
The setting does not count as a “character”

There is a maximum of 4 works fused together

May not contain sexual activity
Kissing, hugging, nuzzling, etc. are acceptable

Depictions of deaths are allowed but may not be excessively graphic

Character bashes are not allowed
Character bash - a fan fiction solely written to insult a character from the substrate fan fiction

Violence is permitted but excessive/graphic not allowed

Slash fiction is not allowed
Slash fiction – fan fiction solely written for the pairing of 2 characters together

There are no recipients as of now.
Yeah, about the sexual activity, would you think it'd be OK if I had my main character in my current fic engage in sexual activity in the planned sequel to my story, without any description of said events, only acknowledgement that it happened?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It depends on the site.  Here there are some folks under 18 so I'm not sure, one of the admin will say if what is ok for this site, I'd assume not for here since it is an all ages site and LBT themed on top of that.   If you're posting it on another site it depends on the rules for that site.  Some may be ok with it as long as you can label the appropriate ages or movie like ratings or something.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hmmm, I don't know...it depends on the cross over I guess...

I personally can't stand it when people cross over LBT with some shows or movies what just make one go, "WTH??" :blink: Like LBT/Halo. Halo is an excessively violent video game where everyone is shooting everyone, so if someone crossed it with LBT, it would just be weird.

Maybe a crossover like Ice Age/LBT would be pretty fun because even though the characters aren't in the same time periods, one could make fun of that theory of the dinosaurs being frozen for many years and then suddenly come to life and Manny, Sid, and Deigo would look at the kids and go,  :huh: and a good plot could start from there.

I say if the story is well written, well structured, and the cross-over sounds a bit realistic, or even if it isn't but how the crossover is made up is great, then I really don't see a problem with crossing over different fiction universes with each other :D

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah. LBT and Halo could actually work, as I have seen a couple fics with that premise, a long as LBT characters don't participate in too much violent actions. Everything must be in moderation.

And as for the "sexual activity" I was talking about earlier, the readers would only find out about it because Markus tells someone shortly after. Would that be OK? I mean, my story is technically PG-13, so I think it fits in the boundaries of both the rating and the web site.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry to dig up this old topic, but I had to ask something. In this thread people talk about "staying true to the essence of LBT". What is the essence of LBT?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The "essense" is the theme or quality. Basically what makes it LBT. Qualities like optimism, morality, and a generally upbeat story.

Personally, if I wanted something with all that, I'd go watch one of the movies. The awesome thing about fanfiction is that you can do whatever you want. Why stick to the "essense" like it's holy writ? Write something new, something that could never appear in canon LBT. That's what makes it unique and worth reading.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
See, that's what I thought. I understand that not all other books/movies.TV share those qualities, but I think Star Wars has the very same things at its core and therefore is a perfect match, provided it's detailed and true to both series in terms of story. So what if the story has warfare and battles in it? As long as the character's personalities are not warped into something completely different, why not?

And lots of other stories have these values, too. So the potential for crossovers is virtually unlimited, and as long as reasonable plots accompany these stories, their potential for enjoyment is also unlimited.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jun 15 2008 on  04:01 PM
It depends on the site.  Here there are some folks under 18 so I'm not sure, one of the admin will say if what is ok for this site, I'd assume not for here since it is an all ages site and LBT themed on top of that.   If you're posting it on another site it depends on the rules for that site.  Some may be ok with it as long as you can label the appropriate ages or movie like ratings or something.
The rules is for an award I made: "Grand Cross Award". They are not from any site.

Jedi, the amount of sexual activity in your sequel is within acceptable for the award.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Jul 29 2008 on  05:14 PM
Quote from: Kor,Jun 15 2008 on  04:01 PM
It depends on the site.  Here there are some folks under 18 so I'm not sure, one of the admin will say if what is ok for this site, I'd assume not for here since it is an all ages site and LBT themed on top of that.   If you're posting it on another site it depends on the rules for that site.  Some may be ok with it as long as you can label the appropriate ages or movie like ratings or something.
The rules is for an award I made: "Grand Cross Award". They are not from any site.

Jedi, the amount of sexual activity in your sequel is within acceptable for the award.
For my next fanfic the cross over I have a lot of work because I'm over two movie series and a game series over with LBT.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
OK, but I haven't even done any yet. It was an idea for the sequel, in which Markus will get romanticaly invovled.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What movies/game are you using for yor crossover F22?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Movies star trek and star wars as for the game it'll be Ace Combat so I'll have a lot of work when I get started

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile