The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pterano the Baptist...

karkovice

• Chomper
    • View Profile
WARNING: RELIGIOUS SUBJECT MATTER FOLLOWS....

Being a Catholic, and having it been brought up in a Catholic family, it was a tradition around Easter time, in my household, that the entire family gathers around the TV to watch The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur(in the last few years); but most importantly, the mini series Jesus of Nazareth.

In my opinion, this is the best retelling of The Holy Gospel story ever done.

But where I'm getting at here is that, in case you didn't know, Michael York, the actor who voiced Pterano in The Stone of Cold Fire, also played the part of John the Baptist in that epic movie.

I never realized it until a short time ago. Thinking back on my childhood, and those times I watched Jesus of Nazareth with my family, it wasn't long before I put two and two together; and it was like I hit a brick wall: THAT WAS HIM???

It's amazing to me how much the two characters are alike! Both are vibrant and fiery, both inspire followers to their cause- although being on opposite sides of the scale; Pterano being up to no good, while John the Baptist only had the best of intentions- both were persecuted for what they believed in, and both were eventually "punished" for the "wrongs" they did by the ruling governments. Only difference is: While the ruling Roman government in the time of John the Baptist was corrupt and evil, Pterano himself was corrupt and evil in The Stone of Cold Fire.

I only think about this now because Ash Wednesday is coming up in a little over two weeks, which marks the beginning of Lent. But I'm not here to preach to the masses. You believe what you want to believe, and I'll believe what I want to believe.

As a lot of you know, I'm always looking for new ideas to put down into a story. As I thought about this parallel between two of Michael York's characters, the idea came to me about eventually writing a story where Little Foot could be a sort of Jesus Chirst, or "Messiah", to The Great Valley; and Pterano could fill the role of John the Baptist in that universe. I only have bits and pieces in mind right now. Not enough to make a whole story. I know even less how soon I'll begin writing it. I'm still working on my LBT/original Knight Rider crossover. But if ever write this story, I'll let you know. :smile

In the meantime, I'd like have your own opinions of what you think about this. Would you read a story like this, or would it be too touchy a subject matter, as religion so often is among strangers?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
You know what surprised me?

'Course, Jesus of Nazareth was made in the 70's, and Michael York was Jesus' second-cousin (lol). Guess who Michael York did a good thirty years later?

The Anti-Christ...at least twice. The first being more comedic and the second one was an (epiiiic) Armageddon...and boy was he AWESOME in that role (He was also the co-producer for that movie)

I've also noted tons of comparisons between Pterano and some of his other roles- for example, Logan 5 and D'Artagnan. All three were incredibly ambitious (especially D'Artagnan), and did have some slight defensiveness on some subjects. (For D'Artagnan, it was his mistress Constance; Logan 5 was the whole "Sanctuary" thing and being "renewed" at Carrosel..."CARROSEL IS A LIE!!!", and Pterano has several touchy areas...like violence and stupid questions  :p .)

And then Hibbing Goodhue in Wrongfully Accused. His time in that movie was VERY short, as he was the rich guy who got murdered...but good greif, he was actually really funny in the entire murder scene. "OUCH!" 'Course, the scene before that was...where'd that chalkboard come from?

Anyway, back to your question. To some degree, it would be interesting to read. 'Course, there's that area that might be a touchy area to most of us fans XD . It sounds like a promising story, but we've already had "Littlefoot=Messiah" theories...something else to add to his Gary-Stu gray area.