The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land before time sculpturing

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There is one field of land before time fanart which has not yet been addressed in the GOF. Apart from drawing, painting, the creation of music, and music videos sculpturing land before time figures is another very interesting field of fanart. One of the interesting aspects is that, just like in case of drawing and painting, there are many different materials to work with when you want to sculpture land before time figures. Clay is one choice (and I know some of you have been working with it). Soapstone is another possibility, and so are wood, wax, and tin.
Let's put up our 3D fanart :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soapstone is a very interesting material to work with. It is a soft rock which can easily be carved, chiped, scratched, filed etc. Most kinds of soapstone are soft enough so you could scratch them with a fingernail, but they are hard enough so they won't be damaged if you just grip it (as is the case with not hardening modeling clay). Soapstone exists in a variety of colors (black, white and different shades of green, red, brown, blue, and yellow. Very often a stone consists of a pattern of different color layers which gives a very interesting look, especially if you polish the stone with very smooth grinding paper and then polish it with a special kind of resin oil which will make the stone really shiny.
To carve soapstone you should have a set of files and grinding paper. A metal bodkin is also helpful to carve out thin lines.
When grinded soapstone becomes very smooth (smooth as soap, that's where the name comes from) and is quite pleasant to touch. If you want to carve soapstone you should do it outside at a place where nobody will be bothered by the piles of stone dust produced during the carving (one gets the impression that soapstone tripples it's volume when turned into dust :lol). Some kinds of soapstone dust are carcinogen (promoting cancer), so you don't want to inhale it too deeply, but if you make sure the wind doesn't blow the dust in your face all the time you will be fine.
Soapstone comes in different qualities. Often there are small inclusions of earth or very porous stone in it which can be quite annoying. Once I was carving a soapstone figure of Spike and the stone included such a large inclusion of softer sediment that it resulted in a crack so large that I had to leave the Spike figure half-finished. Had I continued the carving the figure would have broken in two. Such large inclusions are rare though. It was just bad luck. Soapstone carving is real fun and I can recomend this hobby to all of you :yes
Having introduced the material here are some pictures of the first land before time soapstone figure I ever made. I did this one when we had a soapstone project in our schools art class (about the only interesting art project we ever had in 13 years of school <_<). I don't have any pictures of earlier stages of the project, so I cannot show you what the original rock looked like (later projects are "better documented"). The figure was carved in Fall 2002.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
well one thing you did was give me enough views to work with for a 3d max ver of cera :)

For some reason when there are large pics posted here i get no side to side scroll bar. At any rate time to open up 3d max and try to work on ceras head a bit :)

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
Woa...what an interesting idea! I've made some sculptures before, but the only type of material I've used is Marblex Self-Hardening clay. It's very fun to work with, however it hardens quickly and thinner areas of the sculpture can easily crack or snap.

I've never made an LBT sculpture though, only some wolves and statues of my dog and cat. (You can get a peek of two of them here if you like: http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs13/f/2007/081/...akikoookami.jpg ) I'll have to look into this Soapstone!

I must say these turned out great, the details on the spines and on Cera's mouth are really good, not to mention the overall shape of them. I really like the almost "totem" look this material gives them! This material seems to have interesting patterns about it too (the splotches and textures on it are really neat).

I saw you mentioned "later projects"; are there more of these? I'd love to see them if there are, these're really cool! What a fresh, creative idea...I think you've inspired me to attempt some of these the next time I'm playing around with sculptures too.

Great work! :)

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Novaflare, I got the same problem with the images' size in Firefox, however in Internet Explorer it gave me a scrollbar along the bottom so I could fully view them. :blink:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wow, those figures of your dog and your cat are just gorgeous Akiko! Especially the way you colored them with light effects and everything. Really great work! :yes
I saw you mentioned "later projects"; are there more of these? I'd love to see them if there are, these're really cool! What a fresh, creative idea...I think you've inspired me to attempt some of these the next time I'm playing around with sculptures too.
I made two soapstone figures of Petrie, the one of Spike which I already mentioned, which I never finished. Tin figures of Ducky, Littlefoot, Spike, Cera, a head of Cera (need to finish the rest of her) and a few smaller projects. I'm going to write and post more about them.
well one thing you did was give me enough views to work with for a 3d max ver of cera
I better send you pictures of the tin head of Cera as a reference, as it is much more detailed than the soapstone (which lacks for example the bumps Cera is sporting on her frill).

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Thanks, I used prismacolor markers to color those actually. Eh, whatever works :blink: :lol

Ooh, just curious but is that your Ducky tin figure in the photo on your profile page? If so, it looks awesome! Much better than any officially released LBT figurines I've seen. Can't wait to see the others

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ooh, just curious but is that your Ducky tin figure in the photo on your profile page? If so, it looks awesome! Much better than any officially released LBT figurines I've seen. Can't wait to see the others
That's right. I took that picture right after the first tin cast. Cera was the first LBT tin figure I ever made.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow, that's really great! I'd love to see it closer up sometime ;) You're really good with making figurines

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much :)
I'll give you the closer look.
Tin or pewter is a more complicate material than soapstone to work with. It is more expensive, more toxic, more dangerous (liquid metal is hot), but it also holds it's own fascination. Moreover creating moulds for tin figures has the great advantage that once you have a mould ready (creating the moulds is the difficult part) you can relatively easily create several copies of one figure. With a good mould you can easily create hundreds of figures. Of course I don't need hundreds of identical land before time figures, but it is nice to be able to create more than one. Also they make great presents for fellow LBT fans.

To create a tin figure mould the first thing you need is a "positive" that is a figure of which you want to create copies of tin. The positive can be made of almost any material. I am working with a project of a tin figure of Cera using wax as a material, but so far I have only finished her head and body, while the legs are very tricky. For those projects I have finished so far I used positives which I didn't create myself. In case of the first two figures I used two brooches of Littlefoot and Ducky which were produced in 1988 (it was a very lucky catch at ebay. I'm very sure that there must be more figures of Cera, Spike, and possibly Petrie. If any one of you ever gets hold of one of those brooches I offer you the following deal. If you borrow me the brooch so I can make a mould of it you will get not only the brooch but also a tin figure back in return).
The material the moulds are made of is a heat resistant silikone caoutchouc. The stuff is liquid until you mix it with a vulcanizer which causes the caoutchouc to harden within a few minutes. The vulcanizer is very toxic and you must make sure that you put exactly the right amount 3.5% of vulcanizer with the amount of caoutchouc which you calculate by multiplying the specific weight of the caoutchouc with the volume of the mould you want to create. If you put in too much vulcanizer the caoutchouc will harden too quickly to make an accurate mould (even if you put in the right amount you really have to hurry. It would be much better if the hardening took a few hours rather than minutes) if you put in too little vulcanizer parts of the mould will never harden at all rendering the mould useless. The damage cannot be fixed and is very annoying as the caoutchouc is expensive. It is also rather messy to work with, you really need some good soap to get it of your skin and you should put on old cloth, for if it gets on cloth it will stay there. I hope the toxic nature of the volcanizer will serve as an excuse for that ridiculous protection I'm wearing on the following picture taken in January or February 2004 when I was crating my first moulds:

These first moulds were very easy if compared to more complex figures. The reason is that those brooches only had a front side to be used. In this case it was possible to make a form of just one piece (while any figure with front and backside will require at least two parts) by just puting some modelling clay on the back of the brooches, but tooth pricks in and let them dangle in a box with the liquid caoutchouc as shown on the following picture (Littlefoot on the left, Ducky on the right):

As I mentioned before the caoutchouc begins to harden within a few minutes, but one should wait for an hour or two before you remove the positives from the mould. The mould should be put into an oven then and heated from 175 to 250 degrees celsius within two hours, gradually increasing the heat. This step is not absolutely necessary, but it will prolong the livespan of the mould, increase its heat resistance and increase the drying process. Even though the mould is hard after one or two hours one should let it rest for about two days before using it. There is the risk of the form growing unstable if used before it completely dried.
The next picture shows the two molds and the brooches which served as positives:

Before casting the tin the mold should again be heated in the oven. This will improve the fluidity of the liquid metal when cast into the mold. For the same reason the mold is powdered with talcum powder. As for the metal, what I’m using is a mixture of pewter and lead usually in a ratio of 60% to 40%, but the ratio can be varied. Pewter is harder than lead and thus prevents the figure from becoming too soft (so it would be scratched easily). It also has a higher melting temperature than lead which is one of the main reasons to add the lead. Lead is rather soft, and has a lower melting temperature which lessens the strain of the mold when the hot metal is cast in. A drawback of the lead is that it is toxic. Therefore it is important to wash your fingers every time after you touched the metal and to lacquer all the finished figures.

Back then I was still melting the metal over an open flame. Meanwhile I have a tin ladle which can be heated by electricity. Apart from avoiding the risk of fire the electrical ladle is also much cleaner to work with as the open flame produces lots of sooth as you can see on this picture:

At long last the liquid metal is cast into the molds:

and left there for a few minutes to harden. One should wait for some minutes for even if the figure is already hard on the outside it may still remain very crumbly if the core of the figure is still liquid or soft. Not to mention the fact that it’s “smart” not to touch the figure while it is still extremely hot:

It doesn’t take a long time for the figure to cool down enough so it can be taken from the mould. You know this picture already, it is the first LBT tin figure I ever made:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The figures must be painted so one can touch them without having to wash your hands every time. One can either paint them in full colors or just use clear lacquer to keep a metal finis which can either be “brightened” by polishing the metal figure or “aged” by using a finish that accelerates the oxideing of the metal to give it an “ancient” look; I never did that though.

And here at last are the closer looks on the figures. Here is Ducky fully painted and in metal finis:

And here is Littlefoot:

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Awesome stuff.
I my self would love to have a chomper model. Ive considered and may still atempt makign a chomper scuplture from like poplar or other soft wood. Id used a hardwood if i had the tooling to do it. Obviously it will be painted that or ill get some dieable monocoat as it has a slitghtly textured feel. And the coating wont get glossy from useing a die tint. So it could look very natural. I could prob get a near perfect match to his series coloration.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Oh those are amazing! :wow I'm not sure I could even attempt to work with something like that, but then again I never knew I'd get so into working with sculpting clay either. ;) It's always fun to play around with new things. You've done a fantastic job on these; I can't wait to see the one of Cera!

I'm afraid the only figurines I have are a couple burger king type toys and the hand puppets Pizza Hut came out with in the 80's...not sure if those are of any help, but I have the whole set of them. (the hand puppets that is) :P:

Again, wonderful work...and a plus for something so creative and original!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot :)
From tin back to soapstone here are some pictures of a Petrie figure I made last year. Here are a some pictures from an earlier stage of the figure (where many details are not yet elaborated):

The next pictures show the finished version of the little Petrie:

This is a very small Petrie figure which is why some details (e.g. elaborate feet) were left out. The reason for the limited size of this Petrie figure is that it was carved from a small chunk of soapstone which remained from a much larger block from which I made a larger Petrie figure (it takes one stone to make two Petries ;)). Here is a picture showing both the tiny and the (unfinished) larger Petrie. I'm going to post more on the larger Petrie another day:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is a while ago since I posted a thread asking about a series of land before time spoons (spoons with their handles shaped like LBT characters) which were issued by some restaurant "Denny's Restaurants" or "Dairy Queen Restaurants" I think. Meanwhile the quest was successful and I got four spoons with handles shaped like Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, and Spike.
Those spoon handles make for a good positive of a flatfigure (a figure with elaborate front and backsides, but still not 3D as it is very flat). The first spoon I got and turned into a figure was Spike (meanwhile I made a Cera too and plan to do Ducky while I don't like the Littlefoot spoon and don't plan to turn it into a tinfigure). This is what the Spike spoon looks like:

As you can see there is plastic in between the character's legs. If a tinmould was made from the spoon as it is the tinfigure too would have tin between their legs. Apart from looking stupid I wouldn't know how to paint that supposedly empty space. As I didn't want to damage the spoon though (by cutting out the space between the legs) I had to create a figure of a softer material than tin to be used as a positive for the final figure.
I created a mould of Stewalin (a kind of refined plaster). That mould would not be tight and heat resistant enough to be used for tin, but it can be used to create a wax figure of Spike which could be changed to be used as a positive for the later tin mould. This is the Stewalin mould. Notice the "air pipe" below Spike's chin. It is necessary for any mould to have "air pipes" at any spot where air bubbles would form when the mould is filled. If no "air pipes" allow the air enclosed in these spots to leafe the moulds these parts of the mould would not be filled in.

This is the other half of the Stewalin mould; the one for Spike's back:

This picture shows the wax Spike I cast with the Stewalin mould.

As you can see the legs are now carved out, so the wax Spike could be used as a positive to create this caoutchouc mould for tin:

In order to create such a mould of more than one part one side of the positive has to be embedded in modelling clay while the other one is covered with the silicone rubber. That way you get the first half of the mould. For the second half you put the positive in the half you already have, put a very thin layer of vaseline on the first half of the form (to prevent the second half to stick to the first) and finally you cover it all with the next load of caoutchouc (I will show those proceedings in case of another figure where I took pictures of the process). It is also important to make sure there are some notches on the first half of the mould so the second one will have fitting pegs (you can see them around Spike). Without these the two halves of the mould may slip during the casting which would not only ruin the figure but is also dangerous (the tin is hot!).
And here is the final figure:
Front:

And back:

I used some modelling clay to create a little base for the figure to stand on and covered the final base with some modelling grass. I didn't pick the colors well in case of that early figure as Spike isn't quite that green and orange. In a later version I chose better colors (I had to "pale them out" quite a bit by adding lots of white to the olive and ockre basic colors I used). I don't have a sharp picture of a figure in the more accurate color scheme, but this one should do to give an idea about the colors:

And here all the stuff for this figure is piled up once again. Notice there are two more moulds for a wax Spike. The first two attempts (one of them with clay) didn't work out the way they should have. There is a lot of "try and error" about this hobby ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In case of the next soapstone figure I took photos throughout the whole carving so this one might give you a better idea of the steps from a lump of stone to a Petrie figure. As there are many pictures I will have to make several posts. You already saw a half finished version of this Petrie in a previous picture along with the much smaller Petrie I had made.
This picture was taken in August 2006 when I started carving that figure. Sadly I don't have any picture just of the raw stone. On this picture you can already recognize Petrie's beak. The smaller Petrie figure I showed you before was carved by the way from the piece of stone I'm just sawing off from the bigger Petrie's stone on this picture:

During October 2006 I continued working with that figure during the holidays I spent in the Netherlands. Here are a few shots of a still rather raw Petrie figure:

On the following picture you can see a little "hole" in the back of Petrie's head. This is the result of an inclusion of softer and more porous stone in the soapstone.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here I'm carving the stone on the beach in Holland. A look at my pants goes to show that it is really dusty work indeed:

After the crude outlines were done I could go a bit more into detail. You can now see the eyes, beak, wings etc. are slightly more elaborate:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The next detail that had to be dealt with was Petrie's body. The work was kind of tricky as I had to carve behind Petrie's wings and had to make sure the relatively thin stone layer of the wings didn't break away. Moreover it was important not to give Petrie to small and fragile feet as (with the high center of gravity created by Petrie's head and the large beak) there was a high risk to make the figure unbalanced so it couldn't stand.

Finally Petrie was still "blind" I had to carve proper eyes and also make the whole surface of the stone as smooth as possible:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
simply amazing, outstanding stuff. I wish I could do things like that but it just out of my range of artiest style. I can do drawings but that as far I can do. What the heck I love drawing and even writing stories, I love doing it as I do now and what you do is top grade stuff, you do it all by yourself from the looks of it which makes things more amazing your one of a kind when it comes to this.

Top mark work Malte!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The last step was to treat the figure with a kind of oil on resin basis which makes the whole stone shine:

The hole can still be made out if you look carefully, but it can barely be felt if you touch the figure: