The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

suggestion topic

kjeldo · 21 · 1904

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
heya!

how ya all doin? no honestly, i want to make the forum better(it isn't bad but not perfect either) so i made this topic, any suggestions? :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
What? :wow  The forum isn't good enough the way it is? :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
In the end, it's the members who make the forum, not the other way around.  The admins (giving Petrie about 99.9999999% of the credit here! :D) have set up this meeting place, but realistically, that's all we've done (aside from making it look pretty and booting out troublemakers :p ).

I'm always game for listening to ideas! :)  At the end of the day though, the quality of the forum is based almost entirely on how the members themselves choose to interact.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Suggestions are what move a forum in ways such as design and perhaps features in some cases, but like Action said it's the people that make the forum the way it is.  Admins are just regular members that can modify the design and get rid of people who shouldn't be here.  If you want something major to be changed, talk to members and organize your own idea.  If people like it, it'll be put into play.  I mean, there are a few suggestions I have but they can't be changed by the regular members or admins so I'll just keep my mouth shut and hope invisionfree changes their system one day.  As for the forum itself (putting design and usability aside), it's 100% perfect in my opinion.  I don't think we need a section for suggestions.  If you have one, make a new topic and get others opinions.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Sep 20 2008 on  05:55 PM
What? :wow  The forum isn't good enough the way it is? :p
Saying otherwise is blasphemy! How could this forum get better? We have a great community, awesome admins, great members, some great forums, good topics, fun discussions, and me. What else do we need?

Oh! I know! A clone of me!  :lol  :lol

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,Sep 20 2008 on  10:30 PM
Saying otherwise is blasphemy! How could this forum get better? We have a great community, awesome admins, great members, some great forums, good topics, fun discussions, and me. What else do we need?

l
Exactly, lbt/cty_lover :yes  B).

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Better in what way? :huh:

Like everyone else that has replied, I believe this forum is actually fine as it is. The admins put a lot of hard work into this forum and the members have done a good job keeping the peace here, even though there might be some points where a member is causing some sort of ruckus.

I can't say this forum is perfect though...however...it's so close, it's scary!  :blink:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Nothing wrong with a bit constructive criticism.
I think it is a good idea to have such a place where suggestions or criticism can be posted. Of course there can be no promises about whether or not every suggestion of possible improvement can be fulfilled (or that everyone would agree with something somebody suggested as being an improvement), but that is no reason not to make the suggestions.
Perhaps the very reactions to this thread reveal some chance for improvement. Of course I'm glad that the GOF is appreciated as much as it is (and I think it is for good reason) but to think of suggestions on how to improve it or on how admins could do a better job as "blasphemy" may be a sign of a perception of the admins which is not a healthy one.
For some reason some of our members are scared of us admins. I know that some have been (dunno to what degree some people still are) scared of me and I'm not the only admin who were apparently perceived as intimidating. However, we are not that creepy, nor do we mean to intimidate anyone. There are certain times when decisions have to be made and not always will everyone agree with the decisions that result of (usually) thorough debate among the admins. But the fact that we do such administrative tasks should not make us any more creepy than everyone else here... and seriously, are we such a scary lot? :lol
I think that we as admins should be self-confident enough to deal with criticism as well as with praise and you as members should be self-confident not to fear that we will bite your head of if you have any suggestions. That way there will in the end be no we and you but just us ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yea ooo scary admins *hides* :p haha I could so see myself doing that. :p

Anyway.. Hmm.. Suggestions.. Nope, not now from my side. If anything comes up I'll make sure to post it though :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Another reason not everything gets accepted is because the board system we're on doesn't allow for it.  IPB as it is, is three to five years old in places of code.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Yeah, I really wish that invisionfree would update their code.  I took a look at their database code and it's archaic!  Sorta reminded me of Petrie's code for the LBT archive that used ONLY HTML. :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
At least no browser would have trouble opening it. :p

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
and i though i had a good idea to make this suggestion topic, :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this topic. Nothing wrong at all. All we need now are suggestions whenever somebody sees room for improvement. And if there is nothing to suggest at a given time it still is good to have this thread offering the possibility to make suggestions whenever necessary :)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have a suggestion. How about LBT contests in the fanfiction/fanart section? And contests in the LBT projects?

Since this forum is as active as it is, maybe we can do something like that.

For example, let's say we had a winter/fall themed contest this year, you can give entries in fanfiction (one shots, poetry, etc), fanart(traditional drawings, computer generated art, etc), and fanvideos.

It can go like this:

Fanfiction:
1st place-
2nd place-
3rd place-

Fanvideos:
1st place
2nd place-
3rd place-

Fanart:
1st place-
2nd place-
3rd place-

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Would there be any way to vote anonymously? Just so people won't find out you didn't vote for them.

EDIT: Oh, duh, with a poll. :rolleyes

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just bumping this topic so it can be noticed. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
If one has time, I don't see a problem with it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am not so sure about the competitive spirits this might create though :unsure: Especially in case of fanfictions I don't think that any fair vote is possible unless EVERYONE voting also reads ALL of the fanfictions. So all of a sudden everyone with the intention to cast a fair vote would be faced with the task of reading many hundreds of pages. Without having read the fanfictions though I don't think one could judge one of them the best.