The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

SES's OC Oneshots!

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I finally decided (albeit still mulling it over...) to write up a few narrations on the daily life of my OC's...
Hooray *waves weakly*
Anyway.... Heeeeerrrrrreeeee's Da Ferst Paht!!  :DD

Hadley

Hadley rolled his eyes. How long had he been in this stupid meeting? A mini-eternity springs first to mind, he thought, rather spitefully. By the Smoking Mountains! We’ve discussed this whole episode ten times at least. When can I leave?

The Different-Claw had been rudely, and literally, dragged out of his sleeping place in the high cave he shared with his flyer friend, Keirra, by a mob of angry Bigmouths, who had claimed he started a stampede earlier that morning. Which he, in fact did. But it hadn’t really been his fault. He had just been out walking at an hour before the Bright Circle rose, and had just happened to step on a ground hive of Buzzing Stingers, which in turn just happened to make him flip, so of course the first thing he naturally would do is to run, like the hide he prized depended on it, right past the bewildered, bleary-eyed Bigmouths, who had been wakened by the sound of his yells.

Hadley conveniently left out that one small fact that he had known just where the Buzzing Stinger nest was, and had made sure to run directly past the nesting dinosaurs. He smirked quietly to himself. If only they’d seen their faces. The Different-Claw shook his head.

Topps the Three-Horn, one of the prosecutors in this case, glowered at the smirking fast-biter mimic. “Well, I think he did it on purpose!” He stomped the ground, challengingly. Hadley fixed the three-horn with a weary frown, appearing like an innocent victim of circumstance and the Council was wasting his time. Hadley caught sight of one of his friends, Dante the blue Claw Hand, among the throng, looking very tired and extremely nervous.

Dante wasn’t much one for crowds. A relative newcomer to the Valley, the Claw Hand had been found a couple seasons ago by one of the residents, a flyer by name of Pterano. Dante had been unconscious, with a fractured right leg and was bleeding freely from slash marks all over his body from a Fastclaw attack. Now that he was recuperated, he still walked with a limp, since his leg hadn’t healed the right way. The Claw Hand had been invited to join the Council as Dante had proven to the grownups of the Valley that he was an avid problem solver, and quite level-headed. The only thing the Council should have taken into account was that Dante abhorred debating, as well as public speaking, and the Council was something that combined the two. Hadley couldn’t help but give his friend a coy little wink after noticing his annoyed expression.

Topps growled deep in his throat. If that was supposed to be a threat, it was wasted on the indifferent Hadley, who merely gave an impudent snort right back at his prosecutor. Grandpa Longneck, the admirable-and-by-default Head of the Council (possibly even of the Great Valley, in Hadley’s opinion), sighed and cleared his throat, indicating it was time to come to a verdict.

“Now, we have stripped this story to its bare bones, and the defendant, Hadley, insists it was an accident that drove him by your herd’s nests.” The longneck turned to the group of Bigmouths, who reluctantly agreed. Grandpa turned back to Topps. “And if we have no further need of debating, then I suggest we call this meeting to an end.” He looked around at the assembled dinosaurs. Some were grumbling, some were indecisive, but the majority was nodding. Probably not for Hadley’s sake, though. It was still pretty early in the morning, and the Different Claw noticed, with intense amusement, that the Council was headed directly back to their nests after the verdict was reached.

Soon, he was alone at the Stone Arch, apart from Dante. The blue Claw Hand limped slowly over, joining up with Hadley in the middle.

Dante sighed. “I probably shouldn’t even ask you, right?”

Hadley winked again as he turned around, indicating that Dante walk with him. “Of course not, as I said,” he crossed his heart. “I was an innocent victim of the moment.” The gleeful smile on his face proved otherwise. Dante rolled his eyes.
=====

Ohh, you wasawy wabbit-troodon-Stenonychosaurus!
 :lol Enjoy!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Keirra ~ Paht Too

Keirra stirred as she awoke. She yawned and stretched her wings before flopping back down on the floor of the cave she shared with her friend Hadley. Really, the Sailed Flyer had come to consider the snarky Different Claw as more than just a friend. The two were as close as brother and sister. They had literally smacked into one another while out in the Mysterious Beyond a cold time ago, and had decided to stay together after that.

Hadley’s parents had deserted him after he hatched, so the dinosaur had to scratch out a harsh living among the red rocks and canyons of the Far Beyond by himself. Then he met Keirra, a scatterbrained young Sailed Flyer with a similar situation – Keirra had never known any parents herself, but decided it was her duty to look for them, even if it meant flying to lands unknown, or to other worlds. Hadley, on the other claw, was over and done with his parents, who he vividly remembered had taken one look at him and then left.

The two made a rather unlikely couple. Hadley could be a bit on the bossy, spoiled side if he didn’t receive the attention he thought he did. Keirra, though slightly ditzy, was a good flyer to have on one’s side. She was cheerful, friendly, surprisingly eloquent, protective, and kind; qualities that Hadley seemed to lack at times. Impatient, indifferent, and just so infuriatingly smug, Hadley seemed to enjoy making enemies out of the Valley denizens. Keirra doubted anyone else knew what he was really like. Despite his bad side, Hadley was quite intelligent and good at problem solving and reasoning. He was also vigilant. While it may not have appeared so to the others of the Valley, Keirra knew Hadley was probably the most loyal friend – or brother – she could ever hope to meet. The two watched each other’s backs. Keirra would do her best to dissuade any punishment the Council thought to inflict upon Hadley as a result of an incident he caused, and Hadley would, in turn, watch out for Keirra. He didn’t like the idea of her going off and finding her parents, but he wanted to help her as best he could.

Keirra stood up rather shakily, and stretched again, yawning deeply. She stepped onto the rocky shelf of the high cave that looked out over the Valley, and gazed dreamily. Mist hung in low, delicate sheets over the land, but was already retreating from the Bright Circle’s rays as it climbed higher into the sky. Well, no sense in delaying the inevitable. The flyer spread her wings and gave a mighty leap off the rocky shelf; she caught an updraft and sailed smoothly upwards. Sailed Flyers derived their name from the way they flew so effortlessly, and from the brightly colored crests on top of their heads. Keirra’s was a vibrant red, orange, and yellow.

Laughing with joy, she tucked her wings into her body and spun around through the air, opening her wings to bank herself sharply before plummeting down, wings held straight out behind her, for a steep dive. Eyes narrowed with glee, Keirra waited until she caught sight of a familiar Crested Flyer down below, making ready for his morning flight. The Sailed Flyer giggled inwardly. She knew that flyer.

Angling her wings, Keirra slowed her speed somewhat as she continued her descent. Just a little closer… She calculated the distance in her head, praying the flyer wouldn’t move and upset her pattern. A little closer…

The Crested Flyer was barreled into from behind, and he sprawled out on the floor of his cave shelf, grunting. Keirra had flipped over after the impact and had settled a few feet away, on her back, the wind knocked out of her. Whoa, she thought, dizzily. That was probably my best move yet! Hopping up to her feet, she stooped over the Crested and smiled. “Go-oo-od morning, Pterano! Betcha didn’t see that one coming, didja?”

Pterano coughed and spat out some dust before responding wearily. “Obviously not, Keirra. You were behind me, remember?”

Keirra giggled. “Oh, right, yeah. Need a wing?”

Pterano reluctantly allowed the younger flyer to haul him up to his feet. He stood, brushing the dust off himself while looking down at the Sailed Flyer in front of him. Keirra was smaller than he – the tip of her crest barely reached up to his beak – but appearances were deceiving with this one. For all her scrawny, clumsy build and spontaneous attitude, Keirra was quite a powerful flyer. Pterano doubted any other flyer could have taken him down like this one had.

He sighed, a small smile appearing on his beak. “You keep doing that, and you’ll end up putting me out of commission, young Keirra,” he stooped slightly. “I’ll have you know, I’m not as young as I used to be, and my back still hasn’t forgiven you.”

Keirra looked genuinely apologetic. “Oh, sorry,” she looked away, and then whipped back around. “Well, maybe I could give you a warning, next time? So you’ll be ready, and can maybe jump out of the way? It’ll be a two-fold benefit,” her yellow eyes shone with excitement as she continued. “I can improve my reflexes to stop, and you can improve your speed of getting out of the way, and –”

Pterano held up a claw, signaling her to stop. Keirra also was a terrific talker. “That sounds fine. If you could remember it, now,” he winked and spread his wings. “Now, what say we get something to eat?”

“Yeah!”
=====

Pterano, quit raining on other's parades!
... although yeah, that musta killed :blink:
J. R. R. Tolkein

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Taylen & Misc.~ Paht tha Thurd

In the Valley below a young Egg Stealer, snoring his heart out, had shot awake at the sound of a branch snapping nearby. With one movement, Taylen had flipped himself around and landed in a crouching position on his hind feet, quick as an overexcited Hopper. Bleary, pale yellow eyes still trying to register what was going on, he sighed in relief when he saw it was only his brother Strut, coming through the thicket.

The dark Stealer stumbled through rather clumsily, orange eyes half-lidded. Taylen tilted his head to the side. Strut always looked just a bit sleepy and slow, but this time his brother looked like he had spent half the night awake.

As Strut returned to his sleeping spot, Taylen piped up. “Morning Strut, everything all right, there?”

Strut groaned in reply. Taylen raised an eyebrow. “I said, everything all –”

“I heard you,” Strut moaned, not impatiently. He curled up. “Meeting; it just ended. That bloody Hadley again,”

Taylen giggled softly. “What’d he do this time?”

“Woke everyone up,” Strut mumbled. Before Taylen could ask how, his other brother Ozzy, came through. He too looked tired, but also extremely annoyed. His sharp yellow eyes were narrowed gloomily.

Taylen waited until Ozzy had caught sight of him and managed a small smile. “Morning, Oz. How’d the meeting go?”

The paler Stealer grumbled something as he moved past, but he answered. “I doubt you could even call it that,” he spat. “No one was fully awake, and those that were, namely that blasted Topps, dragged the flipping thing out!” He lay down in his sleeping spot.

“What’d Hadley do?” Taylen queried, cautiously. Hadley was a questionable friend of his, and though neither of his brothers really approved of the pairing, Taylen knew Hadley was just a prankster, and not really malicious.

“Woke up a Bigmouth herd and started a stampede,” Ozzy grumbled. “I swear, if I ever get my claws around him, I’ll –”

“Will you please just go to sleep?” Strut begged in a muffled whine.

Ozzy stopped and then cleared his throat. “Oh, right then. Good Morning,” he curled up to go back to sleep as well.

Taylen tried to go back to sleep, but found he couldn’t. The prospect of everyone awakened at this hour meant the Gang must be awake, too. He sighed as he clambered to his feet. No longer the scrawny, wide-eyed youngster he had been when he and the Gang first crossed paths, Taylen had matured since then – the brown dapples had been traded in for the smooth, darker scales of a teenager, and his body was more streamlined.

“Oz? Strut?” He whispered. “I’m gonna go and see if the Gang’s awake, ëkay? If they’re not, I’ll be right back.” He slipped out of the thicket after earning a grunt of approval from Ozzy. Sprinting across the field, Taylen made straight for the Tall Trees – the Gang’s official meeting spot. Sure enough, Taylen wasn’t disappointed. Littlefoot and Cera were sitting in the midst of the trees. Both of them had grown quite a lot as well. Littlefoot was about a third the size of his grandparents, and Cera was gaining on both of her parents in terms of display horns and build.

The two dinosaurs turned when they caught sight of Taylen. Littlefoot smiled. “Hi, Taylen. You hear about the meeting with Hadley?”

Taylen bobbed his head as he caught up with them. “Yeah. Oz and Strut made a racket coming through the thicket this morning,” he giggled.

Cera snorted. At least her attitude hadn’t changed. “I still think he did it on purpose. That sneaky Halftooth would do just about anything for attention.”

“Especially if it’s the wrong kind,” Littlefoot mused. His past coloration of earthy pinks had darkened about three shades to a soft brown.

Taylen shrugged. “He’s probably used to chaos after living in the Beyond for so long, by himself.”

“But I don’t see Keirra doing any of that, do I?” Cera shot back. Taylen jumped a little, still wary of the threehorn’s temperament.

“Well, no… but, Hadley and Keirra are two different dinosaurs, Cera,” he started. “And yeah, both of them had similar backgrounds, but… well…” he shrugged.

Littlefoot changed the subject, noting Taylen’s growing discomfort at disagreeing with Cera. “Let’s just forget Hadley and--”

“’And’ what, may I ask?” The Different-Claw had literally jumped into the conversation as he stepped out of the brush. Cera wasn’t hesitating to bet he’d been listening the entire time. She scowled at him.

“What are you doing here?”

Hadley sneered back. “Listening and talking, little miss. Unless I not allowed to do that in the Valley,” he feigned hurt as his head-feathers drooped, making him appear extra forlorn. Littlefoot just sighed. Taylen seemed to be the only one who was happy to see the mimic.

“Hi, Hadley,”

“Hey yourself, squirt,” Hadley winked. “And of course,” he gave a gracious nod towards Littlefoot. “Littlefoot, and,” he merely snorted. “Miss Threehorn.”

Cera didn’t seem too put-out by the lack of a greeting, however. Littlefoot broke in before she had the chance to. “You didn't answer our quesiton.” The longneck was barely inclined to think of Hadley as a friend; more of a tolerant acquaintance.

Hadley shrugged. “I heard voices nearby and just now found out it was your voices, and the best part was you were talking about me.”

Taylen giggled quietly. “I bet all that ruckus this morning woke Keirra up,” he remarked.

Hadley instantly sobered. “Ah, who knows. I didn’t get to see. I hope not, though,” he continued on, softly, like he was reminiscing. “She’s been up late the past few nights…”

As if he’d been knocked in the head, Hadley’s spunky attitude returned and he gave another wink. “But enough with all the doom and gloomy; you guys hungry, 'cuz I could go for something, now.” He snapped his head to and fro, examining the fauna surrounding them, and with a pleased exclamation, he pounced on a nearby sapling and grasped hold of the dangling tree sweets hanging from the thin, unsteady branches.

Cera grumbled under her breath as she nibbled on some soft grasses. Littlefoot settled for treestars and Taylen for tree fuzz he found on a rotting log. Hadley smirked as he observed the kids eating so quietly.

“Sheesh, I could lose my hearing it’s so loud here!” He tilted his head curiously, large blue eyes fixated on the three. “What’s eating you?”

“Nothing, we’re eating it.” Taylen spoke up through a mouthful of fuzz, before dissolving into giggles. Hadley grinned slightly at the pun. He hopped away from the tree, bounding over to another one less than a yard away. He gave a powerful leap and caught fast on the bark, sickle claws acting as an anchor. He shimmied slightly upwards, snapping at the leaves overhead.

“Havin’ fun with that, are ya?” A low, heavily-accented voice drawled from behind him. Hadley squeaked in surprise, slipping partway down the tree. He turned to face the speaker, feathers quivering with frustration.

A sturdy Two-Crest Swimmer met him, chewing a bundle of leaves, face looking extremely bored. Hadley snapped. “Thanks, Byron! You almost made me fall!”

Byron shrugged. He lifted himself partway upwards, only to about-face and go back to the tree he had been previously feasting off of. Hadley climbed off the tree, sneering. “So, to what do I owe this pleasure, pointy Head?”

“Absolutely nuthin' that I could possibly want.” Byron’s voice stayed at exactly the same level.

“Byron?” Taylen’s head snapped up. “Hi!” He bounded over. “What’s up?”

“A bunch o’ dim-witted flyers, the sky, the Bright Circle,” he replied, sarcasm so apparent Hadley could have sliced it with his sickle claw. The Halftooth stood back, arms moodily folded.

“Heard about this mornin’, mate.” The Two-Crest mentioned, offhandedly, changing the subject totally. “It’s amazin’ that they let you ge’ away with it. Then again, if I’d had ta get up at that hour, I’d sign off practically everythin’ in order to go back ta my hollow for a wink ër two.”

“Oh, so you're relieved?” Hadley stamped his foot indignantly.

Byron finally turned to face him, still chewing. “I don’ see why you’re getting’ so worked up about this; ya go’ away with it, didn’t ya?”

“Yeah, as a matter of fact, he did.” Cera snootily added, just coming into the conversation. Byron merely shrugged.

“You’re never gonna peg ëim with anythin’, just lettin’ ya know that.”

Taylen shifted his feet. Byron knew just how to get on Hadley’s nerves by doing and saying practically nothing. The Two-Crest was arrogant, even more so than Hadley was at times, succinct, and so aloof. However, he stayed under the radar because of his low-key mannerisms and because he rarely associated with anyone.
“Oi, c’mon guys,” Taylen pleaded. “We’re all on the same side, let’s just eat and not quarrel, ëkay?”

Littlefoot joined the group, listening sympathetically as Taylen tried to keep the peace. “Hey, Byron,” he greeted. “And Taylen’s right. Let’s just drop it.”

“Suits me just fine,” Byron mumbled, turning away for the second time. Hadley stomped off in a stewing mood. He hated Byron’s offhand comments about him. That blasted Bigmouth was such a pain in the tail; a loudmouthed, no good, high and mightyó

“Hadley?” Taylen innocently queried, noticing his angry quivering. The Halftooth looked down at the little Egg Stealer and exhaled, letting his anger out with that one breath.

“Yeah?”

Taylen smiled sympathetically. “I know how you feel.”

=====

Byron makes an appearance! That old Pointy Head! :anger
Also, the time this happens is about six cold times after Pterano's banishment - so, he's back and the Gang had grown up a bit
J. R. R. Tolkein