The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Gang's Ages

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
For some reason, I remember something like this being up not to long ago, but when I search for it it's not there... nor do I remember what I am searching for.

But, while I was watching Mysterious Island, the beginning struck me - when the Gang is watching the last tree star and are arguing over who should get it. Cera says, as she walks up to the tree. "I think it should go to, say, the oldest."
Littlefoot protests, "But that's you!"
Cera grins. "I know."

So technically, Cera is the eldest of the Gang, not Ducky, which was what I originally thought - seeing her as the first to hatch.
P.S. if there is a thread like this feel free to delete this and don't forget to redirect me to the original discussion :)
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ducky was shown to hatch first, so I'm for Ducky being the Oldest of the gang :yes
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
None of the Gang really knew exactly when they hatched compared to each other (besides Spike of course), so my guess is that Cera just speculated that she was the oldest, thinking that she was better and more grown up than the others. However, Ducky was shown to be hatched first in the first film, followed by Cera and then Littlefoot as the second-youngest, possibly. But, who knows? Petrie may have been the first to hatch, or anywhere in between, since we never see him hatch at all. I'm also going to go with Ducky being the oldest and Cera just speculating, since the gang probably has no idea of the exact day they were born.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Cera just speculated that she was the oldest, thinking that she was better and more grown up than the others.

The only problem with that is that it was Littlefoot who called Cera the oldest,and I don't think Littlefoot believes that Cera is better than the others.
After all,this is a kid's movie,and why on earth they would put in something that is hard to be guessed out by younger ones?This would require afterthinking,and this is a little detail in the movie.Most would just pass by it without noticing.

Also,i think the hatching scene is more of an introducing main characters,and not  necessary a chronological order.

Of course we have absolutely no proof about the ages(except Spike),so we can just accept our versions about it.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, I forgot it was Littlefoot that said that. Hmm... then I'm not entirely sure. Either way, they probably didn't know when their exact birthdays were, so how could they really tell who was the oldest, anyway? They probably just guessed it, unless they had something similar to stardays and it ended up that the first film wasn't in chronological order. I guess we'll never know. :/

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Here is a link to an older thread on the same topic. I don't know for certain, but there may be more threads on this topic too.
From the point of view of the movie makers I'm afraid the statement from LBT 5 stands more for a degree of disregard for the facts shown in earlier movies than for any deliberate decision making.
From the point of view of the characters I agree with what has been said before, namely that the characters themselves cannot tell for certain who of them is the oldest unless they started counting the minutes from the moment of their birth. The original movie actually suggests (not beyond any doubt though) for Littlefoot, Cera and Ducky to share the same hatchday. LBT 5 for the first time establishes (through the mouth of Cera) that dinosaurs know the idea of commemorating "hatchdays".
I could easily imagine for Cera to just boast being the oldest with a degree of self-confidence that nobody else would question the claim :p

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Here is a link to an older thread on the same topic. I don't know for certain, but there may be more threads on this topic too.

Thanks for clearing that up, Malte :) I do remember one awhile back that had the same basic idea along the lines of the Gang's ages, but as I said, I don't reclal the actual title :p curse my absentmindedness!

I could easily imagine for Cera to just boast being the oldest with a degree of self-confidence that nobody else would question the claim :p

Heh, that does sound like Cera :DD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein