The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My art work

Ptyra · 332 · 66698

karkovice

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ptyra: I've seen a lot of nice pictures on here. Nice work!  :smile

In that second to last one, though, you forgot the green flyer's feet.  :p

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Well, I didn't actually forget them, I just tried to make them look "hidden" by Ada's wings.

Here's the colored version

I did try to "parrot" the first movie setting, but I don't think I did too well. I also fixed Ptyra's feet.

karkovice

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Another nice one. I can't wait to see what kind of storywriting you'll put to these pictures.  :smile

I forget who the young flyer being held by Pterano is...  :confused

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Her name's Ptyra...a good way to remember it is my username ;) !

Since I got so many lovely comments about my sketches, I thought I'd show some before I colored them.

The morning sketch

The dream/fantasy sequence

Pterano making a better move on Ada than D'Artagnan or Logan 5 :lol

And an appreciated one at that.

A sketch of young Pterano

*Insert D'Artagnan-to-Constance/Logan-to-Jessica-quote-here*

And Ptyra introducing Crash to Pterano

She looks so proud of herself  :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
lol the last one is pretty funny! :D Nice job on those sketches, they look awesome! :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Aye, I think such sketches in general also should be posted in the fanart section along with the finished work.
I apologize for having been lazy in this thread. Your pictures are very beautiful :yes
 As for constructive criticism there is one thing I noticed about the picture with the flyers assembled around the nest in the cave. The perspective of the background doesn't seem to match that of the flyers. The viewpoint slightly above the flyers with the edge of the cave entrance still at the level of their heads makes it look a bit like they and the nest were on a steep slope. That impression is further strengthened by the pattern of the cracks in the floor matching exactly that of the pattern in the vertical walls. If the pattern of the cracks in the floor was changed so the distance between the horizontally inclined cracks was generally smaller than that of the vertically inclined cracks we would get more of an impression of looking from an angle at the floor (rather than facing it frontally like a wall). Another great effect to improve the interesting background of the cave entrance would be if you included the light and shadow of the entrance making everything a bit darker (not too much as there seems to be dawn's or dusk's twilight outside) except for the parts of the floor on which light from the outside would fall. Another suggesteion of possible improvement would be to make the edge of the entrance not too straight but with a few more dents and bumps to look more like rock. Finally I think you could improve the part of the background that shows the landscape beyond the cave entrance. Same as the floor of the cave it looks like a steep wall (or slope) if the horizon is above the heads of the flyers even though the camera angle is on the level of their heads too (or even slightly above it) and same as with the cave floor a pattern with lesser distance between the horizontally inclined lines compared to the vertically inclined lines would increase the impression of a more level surface looked at in an angle. However, perhaps it would be a good idea to change the pattern of either that part of the background or the cave walls altogether. The reason is that the landscape outside would be much further away than the cave walls. Therefore cracks of the same size as in the cave walls would probably not be as visible anymore for being much further away, unless the cracks in the landscapes were much larger. If they were much larger though (so they could be marked just as broad as the cracks in the cave) they would probably have a stronger influence on the whole structure of the landscape in general.
Again I really like the picture but just see some ways to make it even better :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Great pictures and sketches.  I hope you'll continue doing them and sharing them here.   :goodluck

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice. I do make the rock about more "rocky", but I seemed to skip it entirely that one time...anyway...
More sketches.

A concept of Pterano and Ptyra finally finding each other after I-don't-know-how-long yet. With a simple background that is bound to change DRAMATICALLY.

I plan to have an elderly Domehead couple adopt Crash later, and this one is right after it happens

I need to fix their arms on the left side (it is the left, correct?). That's the REALLY hard part about drawing fliers :/

And introducing ROSA! Inspired by Katherine from "Castle Waiting". She's got a bit of a crush on Pterano since he was so nice to her, but as presented here, he gets her to snap out of it.

"Rosa," Pterano put his hand on her shoulder. "You must understand." He sighed. "You are much too young." He said. "I'm a crusty old widower that makes stupid decisions and lands me in a bad place. I'm not what you think I am." He said. Rosa grasped her arms. "But..." She began to protest. "Rosa, please. I'm wrong for you." Pterano said firmly. "But you acted like it!" Rosa replied. "You're young, Rosa. You have yet to realize that there's a difference between a man being decent and a man that is courting." Rosa looked to the ground with disappointment. Pterano held her should a bit more tightly. "I will be very happy if you find the old man who loves you." He said reassuringly. "And...I had a daughter that should be old enough to be your little sister. You're old enough to be my own child. It's...very disturbing for me that you've chased me like this." Pterano laughed lightly.
This is still the point when Ptyra has been separated from him and he thinks she's dead. Boy is Rosa an awkward character. She'd be at least twenty-five by human standards, so she's not THAT young...and so it's a little less strange that she wants an older guy...which isn't uncommon. I can understand SOME of those that do, but I'd personally like to stay in my own age group

Oh jeez, it's D'Artagnan all over again  :lol .

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I LOVE this last one Ptyra! It's sad that stuff like that happens quite a bit. Women seem to love the older, mature guys and guys seem to like the younger, prettier women. :p I'm not trying to stereotype the genders, but that seems to happen a lot.

And I like how Pterano called himself a "crusty, old widower". :lol That seems a bit unlike him to call himself that, but hey I guess if something like THAT happened, he might say that. Maybe...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice drawings indeed.  :yes

Simple background maybe, but ti does look like those could be some cliffs behind them with a plateau every now and then, or a mountain even.  

As for younger women liking older men it could be that older men are more experienced and likely must have some good genes to be able to live that long, both which would benefit children and the woman herself to an extent, as well as other reasons also.  

Some men liking younger women could be due to they are more fertile and able to have more children then older women.  Just putting it down to the possible lowest most base biological reasons.  

There may be other reasons also. Some older men may be nicer then younger ones, and other reasons also.

karkovice

• Chomper
    • View Profile
My friend, you're either a big Pterano fan, or a Michael York fan. I'm thinking the latter, because you've made reference to some of his characters in your most recent posts.  :p

I've done some research on him. Who knew he had such a huge track record!? I found out he's also appeared in the Austin Powers movies. I've seen a couple of them, but I don't remember who his character was.

Logan's Run was another movie I saw when I was a kid, but it surprised me to note that he was the hero Logan in that movie. I always thought that the actor who played his best friend, and would later try to hunt him down and kill him when his hand crystal turned red, was Harrison Ford; but I could be wrong.

D'Artagnan, though, is totally unfamiliar to me. Was he a pirate?

The only reference I remember to that character was from the original Star Trek episode "Naked Time", where Sulu invades the Bridge with a fencing sword and Mr. Spock utters the phrase "Take D'Artagnan here to sick bay!" after he knocks him out with his famous Vulcan neck pinch.  :p

But Pterano seems to be one of his most memorable characters, while I always thought it was John the Baptist, simply because he was such an important biblical figure.

A little piece of advice for your upcoming fanfics, though: Try to avoid using "man" and "woman" to describe the sexes. Those are strictly human terms. The correct terms for LBT should be "male" and "female", though children are still referred to as "boys" and "girls".  :smile

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
D'Artagnan was in the Three Musketeers movies. Gawwwd he was SO cute 8D ! I'm actually both a Pterano fan and a Michael York fan. I ordered his autobiography last Sunday and it just came in today. His childhood is quite funny XD .
In Austin Powers, he was Basil Exposition...the guy who always has a flower in his lapel.
I also watched Logan's Run recently, another purchase I made with his autobiography. I was HIGHLY amused that they shot a scene in the Fort Worth Water Gardens
 :wow . I was like "OMG! I went there!" And I live close to it too :D ! Also, the friend who chases Logan is played by Richard Jordan  ;) .

The comment that Spock makes is a reference to the Three Musketeers. And there is a LOT of swordplay in the movies.

I'm pretty sure D'Artagnan was the role Michael York is most famous for. Let me tell you, he was AWESOME in those movies...and he was adorable. This is coming from a girl, so...:lol .

I'll have the picture with Rosa finished soon. And I will DESPERATELY need some re-coloring tips D: !

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Holy buckets! :blink: looks like I waited a day or two too long to post in this thread. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

Besides seconding Malte’s suggestions on the background for the first image, I would have made the sky hazier, and kept the sun and the dead trees from the sketch in the finished picture. The characters, however, turned out great! :D I love their coloring, and the nest looks pretty good as well.

You should definitely post sketches of your pictures more often. :yes (I’m not going to leave feedback on the ones for which you’ve already posted completed versions. :p)

Quote from: Ptyra,Feb 8 2010 on  10:55 PM
Pterano making a better move on Ada than D'Artagnan or Logan 5 :lol

And an appreciated one at that.
Hmm...Looks like you're experimenting with a different beak style. Looks good on Ada. :yes On Pterano, though...well, it’s kind of hard to recognize him, actually. :oops

Is Pterano supposed to be kneeling? His left leg (especially the knee) looks sort of funny. Also, Ada’s right shin, and the part of her foot that is lifted off the ground, both look very slender compared with her left shin and foot.

Legs aside, both characters are excellently drawn. :yes

And Ptyra introducing Crash to Pterano

She looks so proud of herself :lol
Awesome (and hilarious :lol) piece! Crash looks very cute, and all of the characters' expressions are fantastic! Though Pterano’s lower jaw ought to be more equal in length with his upper, and he’s missing his nostrils again. :p Both flyers' legs also look overly bent, and for both of them, the leg on the side that is further away from the viewer's perspective (left for Ptyra, right for Pterano) appears longer than the opposite leg. Ptyra's left wing membrane also seems to disappear behind her leg.

Quote from: Ptyra,Feb 9 2010 on  07:51 PM
A concept of Pterano and Ptyra finally finding each other after I-don't-know-how-long yet. With a simple background that is bound to change DRAMATICALLY.
Pterano's crest looks unusually long in this one. Ptyra's pupils also look to be positioned a bit too high, so her line of sight seems to be aimed slightly over Pterano's head rather than directly at his face. And again, unfortunately, there are problems with both flyers' legs. Pterano's right leg looks too long and sharply bent compared to his left, and while the outermost toe on his left foot is accurately pointed, the others are still hooflike. As for Ptyra, I noticed that her left knee overlaps her left wing membrane, yet her hand is in front of that knee.

Overall, however, Ptyra's body and arms are very well drawn, as is Pterano's hand and entire face (including beak).

I plan to have an elderly Domehead couple adopt Crash later, and this one is right after it happens

I need to fix their arms on the left side (it is the left, correct?). That's the REALLY hard part about drawing fliers :/
Aww...I love this picture! :wub / :cry I’ve got extremely stingy tear ducts, but I swear I felt my eyes getting moist looking at this one. Both characters are incredibly well drawn, to boot. Oddly enough, I don't notice anything wrong with their arms. :confused Their toes, admittedly, could stand to be more pointed. Also, when you color this image, I think you should have Ptyra be a slightly different shade from Pterano, so that they’re more distinct from one another.

I can come up with surprisingly little to say about the last sketch, but both characters look very good. :) (I'm also curious to see how you're going to color Rosa.) One thing I would suggest changing is their toes, especially Pterano’s; they look way too rounded.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to look into them when I color them.
I decided to work on the Rosa one first. But before I FINISH it, I would like your opinions on the first choice of color I picked for her.

My hope is to make her a little rosy colored, but not PINK (like Tria). Should I make her a little bit more red, or would you suggest something else?

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Well despite her name, she can be any color you'd like her to be. But if you're looking to add a different shade, I would suggest a very light yellow, or red, but nothing too saturated. Just a suggestion.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She's not the same color as Tria.  Tria is very pink (as seen in a screen shot I took: http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/K...rrent=Tria.jpg)  If you want a rose color, there are many colors of rose.  What do you like and dislike about your char's current color.  That is a spot to start from.  I Don't recall but if female dinos in lbt are brigher then males then maybe she may need a bit more red or some other bright color like that mixed into her color.   Though I'm no color nor painting expert.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I like the color scheme. :yes Though I do have to say that it looks a little drab. Maybe experimenting with more red wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

By the way, you might want to slightly thicken the outline on that claw Pterano has on Rosa’s shoulder. It looks nice, but the black lines surrounding it are so thin that the white portion “sticks out” in a weird way. Also, if it’s not too late to make Pterano’s toes a little more pointed...

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, here's two different finished versions

Original

Then Rosa with darker red shads.

Which do you think is better?

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Hmm... hard choice.
I would choose the darker one, I think it fits her more. But it's your decision in the end.  :yes

By the way, I like the picture. ^_^
Say, is there a reason why you don't give them shadings? Something I just noticed.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ooh...tough one... :blink:

At first I thought my opinion had changed and I liked the original color scheme better, but now I’m kind of undecided. :unsure: I do think her beak looks a little too dark in the second image. If it were the same color as in the first image, I might like the second version marginally more than the first.

I have some more definitive opinions regarding the background in these images. I have to say that the cliffs in the distance look really strange (almost like a close-up view of a clump of brownish grass), but the rocks Pterano and Ava are sitting on look much better than your usual rocky backgrounds. :yes I think the more subdued outlines have a lot to do with it.