The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone seen Wandavision?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It's Disney-Marvel's newest entry into the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). It's on Disney+ and it is a fascinating bit of fiction to behold. If you haven't already sen it, I highly trecommend you check it out.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
You know, I shouldn't be surprised by the lack of replies. My attempts to get traction with Marvel movies in the discussion around here never really did get any momentum.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I finally got around to watching this, I enjoy the stylistic callbacks to different eras of sitcoms, and the storyline is very well-done in how it slowly delivers just enough info to keep the viewer hooked and add mystery and complications to the situation while keeping the true nature of the core premise opaque.

My only personal criticism, and it's a weird one, is that the superhero setting and the Marvel universe in general don't add much to the experience, and mostly distract from what would otherwise have been an excellent standalone story. I would have preferred it be an entirely orignal series, it would have added a lot more opportunity for discovering who the two protagonists really are and their relation to the real world. It's hard for me to make my point here because it would involve posting and discussing massive spoilers, but things like the protagonists having special powers, the status of whether the husband is alive or dead, even the reveal that there IS a world outside the sitcom, could all have been additional twists instead of things we took for granted going in because it's Marvel.

I totally understand the show would never have happened without the Marvel green light, but the pre-existing universe still felt like something the writers struggled to integrate rather than a fundamental part of the narrative arc, mostly because they kept needing to shoehorn in "as you know" segments and clumsily explain any references/callbacks to things the viewers might not have seen already. The story is already 95% contained, and it could have been all that tighter without the extracurricular baggage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:22:45 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on February 21, 2021, 03:14:52 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on February 21, 2021, 03:14:52 PM
I finally got around to watching this, I enjoy the stylistic callbacks to different eras of sitcoms, and the storyline is very well-done in how it slowly delivers just enough info to keep the viewer hooked and add mystery and complications to the situation while keeping the true nature of the core premise opaque.

My only personal criticism, and it's a weird one, is that the superhero setting and the Marvel universe in general don't add much to the experience, and mostly distract from what would otherwise have been an excellent standalone story. I would have preferred it be an entirely orignal series, it would have added a lot more opportunity for discovering who the two protagonists really are and their relation to the real world. It's hard for me to make my point here because it would involve posting and discussing massive spoilers, but things like the protagonists having special powers, the status of whether the husband is alive or dead, even the reveal that there IS a world outside the sitcom, could all have been additional twists instead of things we took for granted going in because it's Marvel.

I totally understand the show would never have happened without the Marvel green light, but the pre-existing universe still felt like something the writers struggled to integrate rather than a fundamental part of the narrative arc, mostly because they kept needing to shoehorn in "as you know" segments and clumsily explain any references/callbacks to things the viewers might not have seen already. The story is already 95% contained, and it could have been all that tighter without the extracurricular baggage.
It's less self-contained than you might think. This series is actually part of a "Multiverse Trilogy" comprised of Wandavision, Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, and the as-of-yet Untitled Spider-Man 3. The ending of Wandavision leads directly into the next Doctor Strange movie, which Wanda is also one of the lead characters in.