The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Book or the Movie (general discussion)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I also like the idea of converting the old stories into *detailed* novels, at least 200 or 250 pages in length.  This could create some interesting backstories and show some powerful character development.  The Littlefoot/Cera/Ali crush debate could probably be settled once and for all. :lol  :P:

Saaaay, now There's an idea for a fanfic!  Take an existing LBT film and write it as a detailed novel with new elements that fit the story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are books of the original movie. There are quite a few books containing little land before time stories which are not part of the movies.
Over here in Germany there are books of the original movie and two which also contain LBT 2 and 3. There are not those books with the little stories over here, but there were six audio plays based on these stories sold over here.
books give greater detail.
Maybe it is the other way round. Movies give more detail on how everything looks. One could write many pages just to describe the background and details and everthing shown in a TV scene. A book won't bother for example to mention that there is a pen lying on the table in the background unless the pen is of any importance. So while the book doesn't mention the pen it is up to the reader to decide what the place superficialy described in the book is looking like.
However, there are also things the movies cannot show clearly (thoughts, emotions, motivations etc.). While they can play with facial expressions or (in rare cases) with character monologues books are usually better in telling about the things which you can't see.
We don't tend to watch movies that take as long as it would to read a book telling the story of the movie (provided we are talking of somebody reading at normal speed). So very often the movie makers (have to) cut out details. This is indeed where books do give greater detail, whenever such cutting was necessary.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe it is the other way round. Movies give more detail on how everything looks. One could write many pages just to describe the background and details and everthing shown in a TV scene. A book won't bother for example to mention that there is a pen lying on the table in the background unless the pen is of any importance. So while the book doesn't mention the pen it is up to the reader to decide what the place superficialy described in the book is looking like.
Hmm, I never actually thought of it that way, but you're right.  I suppose authors feel that the reader can add in any background elements they wish, whereas this principle does not apply for movies, when objects can't simply be imagined into existance.

Over here in Germany there are books of the original movie and two which also contain LBT 2 and 3.
Haha, wow!  I've not heard of those before; very cool! B)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is quite a pity that nobody here knows German, for those audio plays which I mentioned are really gorgeous. They elaborate the stories which in the books have been written for kids only and therefore are told in very simple sentences. In the audio plays they made really quite something of it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I wasn't talking details as in visuals. Of course movies have better detail in how stuff looks, you're looking right at it. I was talking details as in story complexity, character developement, descriptions on how things work, and such. Books, when it comes to things like that, have movies and TV beat, hands down.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Definitely true. Unlike movies, which can only work with facial expressions or in rare cases monologues, books can give much more detail about what a person is thinking, feeling, developing etc. Anything that cannot be seen with the eye.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd be interested in an LBT book series.. :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is a series of books available in America and Great Britain, yet regretably the stories are written for very young kids. While the basic ideas etc. for the stories are really good, the storeis are told in short and simple sentences without any details. There are LBT books which have not been written as simple, but they are book adaptations of the original movie rather than any new series.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've seen those. Don't bother. You might as well just watch the original movie or the sequels for the price of the those, because they're actually no better.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I suppose this is one reason why we have fanfics.  The lack of good LBT literature has inspired fans to write some of their own.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've seen those. Don't bother. You might as well just watch the original movie or the sequels for the price of the those, because they're actually no better.
Nonetheless I do not mourn for a single cent I paid for them. Some contained pictures from outcut land before time scenes, another one actually contained chapters with scenes that had not been part of the movie. I'm quite sure that some of that stuff was actually meant to be part of the movie, but was either not produced or cut out.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, the author had to get them from somewhere, so I'm guessing they're dropped scenes and concepts.