The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Best Scary games

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Which scary video games do you consider the best? It can be indie or manufactured.Mine are:
Amnesia
Ao Oni
Slender:The eight pages and the arrival
SCP-Containment Breach
1916:Der Unbekannte Krieg (It's like Amnesia,but with dinosaurs,try it here:1916:Der Ubekannte Krieg)
Story of the Blanks
Derp till Dawn
How about you?What are your favorite scary games?

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Silent Hill 1-3
Project Zero 1-3
Forbidden Siren
Dead Space
Condemned: Criminal Origins (that basement level...)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Resident Evil is a good scary video game series.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I've played a good few scary games so the likes of:

Resident Evil 0-6 and its spin-offs
Silent Hill 2 and 3
Dead Space 1-3
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (still haven't finished that yet...)
The F.E.A.R series (well... the first one and its expansions rather than 2 and 3)

I've seen Slender (both versions) but too chicken to play it myself (I enjoy sleeping and would prefer not to have that taken away thanks :p )

The online SCP games are plenty creepy or the reaction videos on YouTube are just as entertaining (at least there's someone screaming with you even if they aren't in the room next to you :DD)

A few unsung heroes of the scary game world I'd say are:

Spirit Camera - 3DS. I mean, it's bad enough playing a character in a fictitious place that's haunted by ghosts and ghouls but using your 3DS camera to hunt for ghosts IN YOUR OWN HOME would just hype my paranoia that there's something lurking in the unlit rooms of my house!  :blink: No thanks!  :D

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Gamecube. Dated in terms of graphics but this is one of the few games I actually had to put down and couldn't return to. It actually creeped me out so much had to get rid of it. It's bad enough you having a sanity meter that warps the game world around you as it drains (flies appearing on the screen, camera warbling, statue heads turning to look at you to name a few strange goings-on) but the killer for me...? The bathroom scene... Those who have played the game know what I'm talking about! Feeling brave? Look it up on YouTube (and turn your speakers up :p). I heard there is supposed to be a successor to Eternal Darkness (not strictly a sequel) so that sounds cool. Won't be getting it though if it's anything like the GC one.

On a side note, I think it's interesting how the concept of a "scary game" has somewhat changed. What seems to make scary games actually scary these days isn't so much the "battling your way through hoards of nasties out to get you" but it's the dis-empowerment (if that's a word) of the player. The likes of Amnesia and Slender put you in the role of an average Joe who has no combat experience, doesn't handle a weapon and isn't even given the option to find one let alone use one and the only combat strategy you have is to run away. The immersion isn't just the atmosphere or setting any more (it's still a key component but...), the vulnerability comes from your complete disarmament to deal with what's stalking you and yet still overcome it. Don't get me wrong, I still like games such as Dead Space, Resi Evil 4 onwards (...maybe not 6 :p) and they are good at how they portray horror and how you choose to survive but this new style of horror gaming is a nice twist.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
They have this maze game if you screw up a scary picture pops up. When I first played that I jumped from my seat.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Amnesia
Penumbra
Crooked Man
Slenderman...all the maps
SCP
The Cellar
Ib
Ao ONI
Inferno
F.E.A.R.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've seen some videos for those games and they're in deed scary:

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Quote from: Petrie85,Jul 29 2013 on  06:12 PM
I've seen some videos for those games and they're in deed scary:
No kidding, especially SCP and Amnesia.  I love them so much!

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Based on the wording, I have to take a different approach.

I've never been one for jumpscares, for me metaphor, psychology, and loneliness are the best way to get my skin to crawl and have it feel legitimate:

Silent Hill
Siren: Blood Curse

Further, since it says "best scary" games, I will include high quality horror themed games:

Cat Lady -- STELLAR story writing, and extremely artistic.
(Silent Hill, again, likewise, same with Siren)
Last of Us -- This was kind of the game that got me searching for horror games, especially ones based on story.

I'll also include ones that I consider good in other respects:

Imscared -- a pixel horror game, it's very clever in multiple ways. It's not a deep story, it's got some jumpscares, but its... complexity is what wins it credit.

I've heard a lot about a game called White Day, but I've only ever seen it played on easy, which nixes most of the scary things about the game, apparently. As such, I can't give it a fair analysis, but it was worth checking out. It, similar to Siren has a REALLY beautiful otherworldly element at one point that is absolutely fantastic.

Afraid of Monsters and Cry of Fear -- The way they portray the enemies, spasming and really quick, is a really unique (especially for the age of Afraid of Monsters) way of portraying horror enemies.

I've yet to find a good playthrough of the Call of Cthulhu game, but I've heard it's pretty dang good, as well.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The Crooked Man
Mermaid Swamp (do not play this if you have a weak stomach, though)
Ib
The Witch's House
Corpse Party (any game in the series will do)
Mad Father
Yume Nikki (and all it's fan games)
Ao Oni (and it's fan games)
Paranoiac
Desert Nightmare
Taut
The Longing Ribbon
Misao
Hidden in the Dark
Wraith
Sainth
Clock Tower: The First Fear
Haunting Ground
The Fatal Frame series
Amnesia Custom Stories (The Great Work, The Things in the Night, Obscure, and more)
Anna
Hidden in the Dark
Miserere
Palette
She Comes
Any Slender game, really
Story of the Blanks
And more I will think of later.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Scratches is a good one nobody has mentioned.

I'm also a fan of Call of Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth, and Miasmata, though it's more of a survival game than a horror one.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The only games I think could actually be called some of the best scary games are the Silent Hill games. Specifically the 2nd and 3rd ones. They are without a doubt the scariest games I have ever played. Everything was just so masterfully done: The music, environments, story, creatures, etc. Those games really give you a sense of just how hopeless, lonely, and terrifying a situation like that can be. The only games I can say come close are Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Amnesia, and maybe Scratches. But really you will never play anything quite like Silent Hill 2 and 3. Even though the graphics are a bit dated, I still highly recommend them if you are a fan of actual *scary* games, which it seems are quite difficult to find today.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I heard of that game and I did play it once and it did have a scary vibe to it.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Amnesia
Outlast
Slender
Alien: Isolation
Cry of Fear
Afraid of Monsters

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^
320% Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :3

I would also add Monstrum, Penumbra, Soma, Nightmare house, Condemned, Clock Tower, Cursed Forest.

Some of these games made me sit in single the dark corner or locker for 4 hours without any progress.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:21:02 PM by Sneak »

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I rarely play games like this. But I have played two that are really worth mentioning. These are "Slendy Tubbies" and "1916: Der Unbekannte Krieg" (meaning: "1916, The Unknown War"). It depicts the cruelty of war in a surreal way. Partly successful, in my opinion.
Both are games that only make you fear for a short time. But after a while you get used to the atmosphere, and then only the jumpscares frighten you occasionally.
I've heard that "Until Dawn" for the PS4 is supposed to be very good. It's a Survival Horror game and definitely one of the games I'd like to try one day.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I would also add Monstrum, Penumbra, Soma, Nightmare house, Condemned, Clock Tower, Cursed Forest.

Yes, didn't even remember those games, good job.  :yes