The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: Serris,Jul 26 2013 on  12:10 AM
http://engagementoftwilight.tumblr.com/

Y'all may have heard of this: a guy marries a plushie of Twilight Sparkle. He acts like Twilight's completely real. It's like one of those "delusion fics" I'm a fan of brought to life.

I want to laugh at him for being so obesessed with the show, but at the same time, the guy clearly has serious mental health issues. And I'd feel like shit for making fun of someone with a mental illness.
He's not mentally ill.  He's just a pervert that thinks he should broadcast his perversions all over the world.  Though I do suspect narcissism to be a large part of this.  A perverted narcissist.  Well, sadly there are many people like him.  They just don't publicize it.

I mean, seriously.  Diaper fetishes?  That's a perversion that's shared by far too many people.  F*cking sick. :x Sometimes I have a real problem associating myself with this fandom.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Apparently, Cindy Morrow and M.A. Larson will not be writing episodes for Season 4. And now we have fans who are saying that they were the heart and soul of the series and that their confidence is officially dashed. That's funny. I distinctly remember Faust being the heart and soul when it first began, and yet it kept on chugging after she left.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah but it hasn't been that good since Lauren Faust left the show for good. We now have been getting Mediocre material. But it's still coming along not on the awesome scale it once was but still going along and still making new stuff for us witch is good. Season three wasn't the best but enjoyed watching it still the same. The music was always good since Dan Ingram is a god sent for the show.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I beg is differ. The show's quality has been constant from the first of Season 1 to the last of Season 3.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I have to agree with Weirdraptor here. Season one may feel different from seasons two and three(at least to me) but they've still been good. This is just yet another case of Bronies panicking about something that doesn't need to be panicked about.

What Bronies need to get through their heads is that these people who work on the show have lives. They have things to do other than writing about cartoon horsies. Writers for shows come and go all the time. It's not something that's unique only to this show. In the animation industry, you're lucky if you get to work on a project for this long. My business of animation teacher said that the longest he's gotten to work on a series was about two years.

So yeah, Bronies do not need to freak out over something that's going to be just fine. All the other times they freaked out, everything worked out in the end. This will too.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'd love to know why the bronies keep freaking out everytime their's a change, even though it always turns out just fine.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'd love to know why the bronies keep freaking out everytime their's a change, even though it always turns out just fine.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jul 28 2013 on  04:59 PM
This is just a theory I've had but I think part of it is because, to Bronies, things like Twilacorn and Equestria Girls(just two examples off the top of my head) threaten their ideas of how the canon should be. They think they know better than the writers so when there's a change(any change, be it good or bad), they throw tantrums over it.

I think another part of it has to do with fanfiction. This fandom places WAYYYYYYYY too much importance on fanfics. To most fandoms, fanfics are just a fun way to pass the time. To the Bronies however, they're serious. F***ing. Business. Basically what I think is that some Bronies want the show to adopt ideas from fanfics because they think said fanfics present a good canon. Well that's wonderful but fics like My Little Dashie, Fallout Equestria and Past Sins will never and can never happen on the show.

tl;dr: Bronies have their ideas of how the canon should go, the show writers have their ideas and they need to let the writers do their job.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Personally speaking, I always kinda knew that Twicorn was coming. No, seriously, I foresaw it as far back as the Pilot two-parter. I did so by deducing the nature of the Celestia, Twilight, and Luna's names. Celestia, is based on "Celestial", which is applied to bright, majestic, and shining things like the sun. Luna has always been a word strongly related to the moon and nighttime. Well, Twilight is one of two midway points between the two: the dawn and twilight hours, of course.
In my mind, it always made perfect sense for Twilight to become an alicorn. Okay, sure, my originalprediction had Celestia or Luna stepping down and letting a new generation of princess handle the sun or moon, which didn't happen, but hey, go me for guessing that Twicorn would happen.

Yeah, bronies take fanfics WAY too serioously. It's like they forgot just what the term "fanfic" means after a while.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Personally speaking, I always kinda knew that Twicorn was coming. No, seriously, I foresaw it as far back as the Pilot two-parter. I did so by deducing the nature of the Celestia, Twilight, and Luna's names. Celestia, is based on "Celestial", which is applied to bright, majestic, and shining things like the sun. Luna has always been a word strongly related to the moon and nighttime. Well, Twilight is one of two midway points between the two: the dawn and twilight hours, of course.
In my mind, it always made perfect sense for Twilight to become an alicorn. Okay, sure, my originalprediction had Celestia or Luna stepping down and letting a new generation of princess handle the sun or moon, which didn't happen, but hey, go me for guessing that Twicorn would happen.

Yeah, bronies take fanfics WAY too serioously. It's like they forgot just what the term "fanfic" means after a while.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
& as mentioned above many of them hate change.  They would likely prefer things to be exactly the same as season 1.  Though things to change over time.  I have liked seasons 1-3 about as much equally.  As for the specific writers not being on season 4. Maybe they have offers on some other series where they are the main writer there, or they may do an episode or 2 of late season 4, or maybe 5.  Maybe their offers make them to busy to do any writing on season 4.  Maybe they think they are out of ideas for MLP:Fim.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 27 2013 on  01:54 AM
Quote from: Serris,Jul 26 2013 on  12:10 AM
http://engagementoftwilight.tumblr.com/

Y'all may have heard of this: a guy marries a plushie of Twilight Sparkle. He acts like Twilight's completely real. It's like one of those "delusion fics" I'm a fan of brought to life.

I want to laugh at him for being so obesessed with the show, but at the same time, the guy clearly has serious mental health issues. And I'd feel like shit for making fun of someone with a mental illness.
He's not mentally ill.  He's just a pervert that thinks he should broadcast his perversions all over the world.  Though I do suspect narcissism to be a large part of this.  A perverted narcissist.  Well, sadly there are many people like him.  They just don't publicize it.

I mean, seriously.  Diaper fetishes?  That's a perversion that's shared by far too many people.  F*cking sick. :x Sometimes I have a real problem associating myself with this fandom.
The guy believes Twilight Sparkle's soul is in his plush. He believes she's reporting her knowledge about Earth to Equestria.

That's not perversion, that's delusional.

----------

Anyways, I actually hated Season One.

I'm expecting one of the new writers to screw up early on as they get their bearings on the show but then we'll see good things from them.

As for canon for your fanfics, take what you like and discard what you don't want.

Make your own canon if you want. Hell, if you develop far enough, you can actually call it a 'verse or canon.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hopefully they have something like a script editor to help with newer writers.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jul 28 2013 on  06:08 PM
That, and most of the fanfics are poorly written, pretentious, self indulgent crap. I remember from some of the pony forums I lurk on, some fans have actually suggested that you don't need to be a fan of the show to be a Brony. Just like the fan content/love and tolerate. No. Just. No. You're not a fan of something if you don't like the source material. That's like saying you're a fan of Dragon Ball Z yet your only exposure to it has been the video games.

And I've gotta say this: a lot of the fan content...really isn't that good. Some of the fanart is good (Johnjoesco  is the only Brony artist I can name whose work I enjoy), some of the fan music's alright(the remixes are getting old though) and I've already shared my views on the fanfiction. Maybe if Bronies didn't act like they were so much better than other fandoms when it comes to the fan content, I wouldn't have such a problem with it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I agree. You're not a fan of something if you're not a fan of it. You actually have to be a fan of FiM to be a fan of FiM. If you're a fan of the fan content, then you JUST a fan of the fan content.

Yeah... They need to stop pretending that fanon is canon and they need to stop deluding themselves into thinking that their fan works are better than other fandom's fan works. I mean, the Sailor Moon fandom alone has decently well-done live-action fan movies in the making left and right these days.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I really enjoy reading the Friendship Is Magic Fan Fictions and look at the art toys and plushies. I love to read clopfics of characters that do make a really good couple and pairing. Like Appledash Octavia and DJ-Pon-3. Those are the clopfics that I love to read. And if I have the cash I love collecting the figurines and comic books. And I'm not complaining about the show I did like season three a lot not that much. I got all the life lessons if was teaching us and so fourth. All the songs where great and so on. So all and all I enjoyed it I give it a 7/10.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Fair enough.

On the life lessons: I've actually noticed that they've been straying away from "Dear Princess Celestia..." more and more and the life lessons have been a little more subtle. I'm liking that, a lot.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jul 29 2013 on  08:11 PM
Fair enough.

On the life lessons: I've actually noticed that they've been straying away from "Dear Princess Celestia..." more and more and the life lessons have been a little more subtle. I'm liking that, a lot.
Same.