The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cheats and Lies

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
First the long Author Note...

I know I've changed my characters back and forth so much. I kept trying to make sense and keep them fitting with Ducky's comment in VII of not knowing of any other uncles Petrie would have, which if my OC Tylr was around wouldn't fit, so that's why I made them younger and teen aged as I used in that one thread, to try and have Tylr slide by.

But I like Tylr lumped in as the youngest of the brood with Petrie's mom so he gets to be back there, though I'm keeping Lily :)and Tylr's little innocent crush on her that I gave him even there turns into a bigger problem with him grown in those days of the first movie when different kinds still don't associate.

It's kinda expalined in the story anyway though, but I'll try to not bog it down with OC drabble  too much, though Kit is kinda the focus in a way...as you'll see.

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter 1

Cera sighed, laying her head down on the grass, "the Log Running game again Ducky? Really?!". The threehorn was mainly only bothered by this suggestion for their next game because she couldn't participate.

Littlefoot smiled, "It's still fun for us four footers to watch them" he said.

"If you say so" Cera sighed. As usual Spike muttered something and nodded.

Ducky climbed up on her log and prepared to go before noticing something. Ruby and Chomper were there, just like last time, but...

"Where is Petrie?" she asked, looking about. None of the others knew, yet the question seemed to be answered anyway. "He got the sniffles again".

Ducky and the others glanced over to where the voice came from to see someone Ducky liked very much and counted a pretty good substitute for if Petrie couldn't be here and also for the log running game.

"Hi Kit" she said, jumping off her log and swimming over to the little flyer. If Kit had just been Petrie's cousin who hung around them and tried to help him out wherever she could, Ducky would have liked her well enough, but Kit's mother, Lily, was also a swimmer, that whistling type.

The whole issue was a bit too big for any of the kids to have ever really grasped but like Kit told them, from what the girl had picked up herself in listening to her parents and the other grown-ups talk, her father, Tylr, had been afraid his siblings wouldn't understand since when she and the other kids were born the herds still stayed apart.

Petrie's mom seemed more than understanding though, and even seemed to genuinely like her mom, Lily, which was good since Kit had lost her father in that trip with the grown-ups to the Valley and now her aunt was a big help in helping her mom watch after her all on her own.

The dinosaurs of the Great Valley had become use to a lot in their forming a herd and traveling. The little flyer's green color with yellow splashes streaked all along and crest with a whistlers talent showed very much her resemblance to her mother but they treated her the same as they treated young Spike in his adopted family. An indifferent type of tolerance, yet Lily still caught the looks from a few.

Yet as far as little Ducky was concerned, she just found it great to have that much in common with Kit as for the girl to be familiar with a swimmer lifestyle, even if she didn't swim.

Ducky saw it as no excuse to shy away from water, though. "Come on then" she pulled on Kit's wing "You can take Petrie's place in the log running game, you can, you can!".

Kit frowned, "I don't know, Petrie fell off a lot and I have a feeling it'll just happen to me too. Those few times I tried it it did".

"Then you can just fly up like Petrie did" was Ducky's answer. Kit found that, like most times, Ducky was so eager and encouraging that she was hard to turn down. "Well...ok" the little flyer agreed, flying over to land on a log.

They all started running and trying to stay on their logs as best they could. Kit tried to keep her wings out to steady herself yet not so much as to fly off too soon and give up the game, but figuring out the exact right time to fly up was tricky, still she hadn't left the log yet.

Ruby and Chomper were also doing well, as well as Ducky, until Chomper let out a wail as he felt himself slip and fell into the water. "Aw..." he spit water and frowned, climbing to the shore with a sigh. "I almost had it".

Littlefoot smiled, "Don't worry Chomper, you still did better that last time, so in a way you did win". The little sharptooth grinned.

Ruby giggled, "Ok girls, now it is just us girls to see who is better at running on the log that is also moving" she said.

"I still think Ducky's just gonna out do us all, she's just so good at it" Kit got out shakily as she paid attention to not falling off as she wobbled slightly side to side.

"Just because Ducky won before does not mean she will be winning again" Ruby pointed out. Unfortunately she put too much attention on what she was saying and she was the next one to slip off.

"Oh no, no it can't be just me to try and do better than Ducky" Kit frowned, wobbling again but catching herself.

Ducky giggled, "You are doing good, Kit, you are, I may just not win". The little swimmer didn't sound like she believed her words though. The two kept on and everyone watched with a slight gasp as Kit leaned over almost falling forward. Her feet, facing back and not able to be seen by anyone, by the barest margin, came up to where just her toes remained on but with her wings she soon righted.

Had she been a ground walker she'd have fallen, but she stayed on and soon righted, tipping the other way with a sigh. It had all happened so fast even Kit hadn't fully taken in what happened. Ducky seemed shock too and as she grinned and went to cheer she slipped, falling off her log.

Now everyone did gasp. Kit flapped up off her log and over to help Ducky up as the little swimmer giggled standing. "Wow Kit, you beat-ed me, you did, you did!" she said, surprised but a good sport.

Kit smiled, "Wow, I did?" she was there of course though and quickly thought back on how she had been the last one on the log! Yet as she recalled the events she suddenly realized how that might not be completely true and she should have fallen before, or at least flapped off.

Ducky giggled again, "I guess as well as being a flyer like Petrie you are very much like your momma and can log run just like a swimmer!" it wasn't an exclusive talent of a sport, but Ducky being good at it had given the kids that kind of a thought on the game.

Littlefoot chuckled as the others rushed over to congratulate Kit, "Yeah, I guess" he commented. With this new praise, on being like her mom too, Kit paused and smiled, forgetting she didn't really deserve it all. Like her mom…she liked the sound of that.

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter 2

"And then Kit stayed on the longerest and most!" Ducky seemed as excited as if she'd won again as she told both Petrie, his mother and a few of the other grown-ups, both her and Kit's mother's included, of the game.

"Wow!" Petrie glanced over to his cousin who gave a small smile, "You really stay on longer than Ducky!".

Kit shrugged, "I...guess". Lily smiled at her daughter, "Well that's great, Kit" she praised in that way parents do of backing up whatever their kids do and causing their own kind of pressure without meaning to.

"Yes, it sounds great, I think" Petrie's mother smiled to the other female adults, "Even if I'm still picking up the ins and outs of this game of the childrens". Mrs. Swimmer and Lily smiled back and nodded that yes, so were they, struggling to keep up with the kids' next big thing.

"Wow, maybe next time we play, Petrie let you have me spot again" Petrie said, "since me still not very good" he frowned.

"Don't worry Petrie, you'll get it" Kit encouraged, putting a wing around her cousin.

"Yeah, now that your cousin's the great log running winner, maybe she can give you pointers" Cera said as she walked up. She sounded sarcastic, but as the kids had picked up on, wasn't; just giving her usual brand of a half joke.

Even if Littlefoot still felt a part of her was bothered by the fact that she hadn't had a chance to try to win.

"Mr. Thicknose just told me about a spot with some really good tree sweets" he informed the others as to why he and Cera were walking up, "you guys wanna come?" he looked to Kit, Petrie, Ducky and Spike.

"Oh yes" Ducky cheered, "And we can give Kit extras of them for her winning prize" she giggled, just being helpful and nice as she hugged Kit herself in congratulations again.

Kit started to feel an odd stomach plummet and gave a half smile back as she secretly wished Ducky would just stop talking about her winning so much.

"Well only if Petrie feels up to it..." she glanced over to her cousin who stood, "Oh yes, me feel much better" he said. Kit made sure to glanced up to her aunt and make sure she approved, because otherwise it wouldn't matter how much better Petrie said he was. Mrs. Flyer smiled and nodded.

"Okay!" Kit flapped up, Petrie following. They flew off along with Littlefoot, Cera and Spike, who carried Ducky as always.

"You kids stay in the Valley now" Lily called out as the children walked off.

"We will" they chorused.

"They always say that..." Lily sighed, shaking her head and glancing to Mrs. Swimmer and Petrie's mom with that same knowing look. The three mothers sighed. Yes, they knew the kids TRIED to obey, they just wern't good at staying put.

~~~~

"Here you go, Kit!" Ducky pushed over what looked like the best of her little pile as the children all gathered tree sweets. As usual, even while finding smallish ones, the tree sweets were the size of Ducky, Petrie and Kit. That's why Kit felt so bad as she was given an extra.

"Oh...that's ok" she pushed it back, "I don't need a congrad-lation gift".

"But you winned" Ducky pushed it back.

"Yes..." Kit pushed it again. Petrie had already been watching this and now the others started looking in that direction too, "...but, well, I don't wanna be full for tonight after my mom collects lots of tree stars". Kit's stomach plummeted again as she said this.

First she hadn't actually felt she'd won, now she'd lied...

Duck bought it though, "Oh, right" she recalled how she and Spike had done just that once. "Well ok, then I will not get fulled up either and we will leave it for someone else to find".

"Kit, you ok?" Petrie asked suddenly, causing her to look over at him sharply, "Huh?!".

"You looking kinda sickish" Petrie pointed out.

"I'm good" Kit smiled beyond another bad feeling. Lie number two.

~~~~

Later that night, after the kids returned home, Kit tried to eat as much as she could to sort of make what she'd said true, but her appetite just wasn't there at all.

"Are you sure you're feeling alright..." Lily asked her daughter, "You didn't catch what Petrie had did you?" she felt Kit's head.

The hatchling sighed, "No, he got sniffles from sky water, you don't catch those" she said.

"Not usually no" Lily smiled, "Well ok, I was just checking".

Kit gave a small smile, "Thanks, but I'm ok". The tally was now up to three.

~~~~

A chance for telling the truth did come the next day as the kids were all gathered again by the water they always used for this game. "Kit, will you play today?" Ducky asked.

With a smile, Kit nodded, "Sure, and who knows you'll probably win today" she felt good that both sentences were the truth she felt.

Ducky giggled. From where he settled on the grass near Littlefoot to watch, Petrie didn't seem to mind having to sit out either. "Me just might give Kit all me turns" he said.

Littlefoot laughed, "Aw Petrie, you're better at the game than you think" he encouraged.

Cera rolled her eyes then turned to where Ducky, Chomper, Ruby and Kit prepared to go. "Well, let's see if the great-log-running-flyer can impress us today". Littlefoot and Petrie looked at the threehorn confused on why she seemed so bothered by all this praising of Kit; probably because she wasn't use to attention not directed at her.

Everyone on their logs started running and Kit kept glancing over to see how Ducky was doing. So far so good. The swimmer was still on the log. Kit watched her own feet run, thinking through...alot of stuff.

Chomper slipped again, frowning again, and was soon followed by...Kit, as the flyer tipped and flew off. She sighed but didn't seem that upset as she flapped over to the others on land just as Chomper swam in.

"Wow, Kit, you had worse luck today" the sharptooth commented. At his statement Petrie frowned and turned to his cousin, beak opening to ask something and Kit laughed as she already knew what it was.

"No Petrie" she answered with a giggle, clamping his beak shut gently, "I haven't eaten anything weird today, I promise" she grinned at the funny little idea she knew had entered his head.

It was as she turned from this to watch Ruby and Ducky now going at it against each other that she caught Cera looking at her from out of the corner of her eye. Kit turned to the threehorn, who wasn't frowning at her or anything, but just had a look like...like she knew...something. Kit smiled back nervously.