The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Predictions

Noname · 49 · 5719

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
His "Let's get rid of him once and for all!" statement at the end sounded like he wanted revenge on the sharptooth. Just the way he said it gives me that impression.

And whether or not he dreamt of revenge, I cannot say for certain. But I wouldn't be surprised about it. After all, he did see the sharptooth fatally wound his mother, and it was because of that sharptooth he was now out on his own, with far less of a chance of reaching the Great Valley. I am sure he would harbor bitter feelings towards the sharptooth.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I won't doubt for a second that Littlefoot didn't grow particularly fond of the sharptooth who killed his mother. I won't argue the point that he probably did feel some satisfaction about Sharptooth's dead.
What I doubt is that Littlefoot would have planned and committed revenge if it wasn't for the chance (readymade ambush side), and the need (Sharptooth would follow them right into the Great Valley; a point which was more directly expressed in the original cut of LBT). I don't think Littlefoot memorized that Sharptooth's face thinking: "One day I won't be little food anymore and then I'll stomp you under my big feet!"
While satisfied revenge was probably gained by killing Sharptooth, I don't think it was what made Littlefoot plot Sharptooth's dead.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I realize my take on this may partly be influenced by the German translation of LBT. The English version supports the image of a revengeful image of Littlefoot better through this: "Let's get rid of him once and for all!" Let's!
In the German version he says: "Den m¸ssen wir loswerden, ein f¸r alle Mal!"
which can be translated to: "We must get rid of them, once and for all!"
"Let us" and "We must" (don't really want to, but we don't have any choice) makes quite a difference in that statement.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 20 2007 on  03:48 PM
I don't think Littlefoot memorized that Sharptooth's face thinking: "One day I won't be little food anymore and then I'll stomp you under my big feet!"
 :lol:  :lol  :lol: I'm sorry, I just found that quote to be hilarious.

I actually believe he had carried thoughts of revenge in his mind.  I mean, how would you feel if you saw someone kill a member of your family right in front of you?  Makes you think twice, huh? ;)

Ryuukokoro

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 20 2007 on  03:48 PM
(Sharptooth would follow them right into the Great Valley; a point which was more directly expressed in the original cut of LBT).
This caught my attention! Is there indeed more than one cut of the original movie? What are the differences, and when were they made? Going from theater to original VHS, or from the original VHS (which I still have, from the 80's, so I want to check!) to the 20th Anniversary DVD which was released recently?

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
To my knowledge, there was only one final cut of the first movie.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, I just found that quote to be hilarious.
It was meant to be. Nothing to be sorry about ;)
I actually believe he had carried thoughts of revenge in his mind. I mean, how would you feel if you saw someone kill a member of your family right in front of you? Makes you think twice, huh?
Death penalty supporters' favorite argument -_-
If I did think twice I would NOT commit murder out of revenge. Of course I cannot say for sure how I would react if a friend or relative was murdered before my eyes (I doubt anyone can), but for sure not too much thinking would be involved in the moments after such a murder. Killing the murderer would be an act of the impulse (however just it may feel at that moment) rather than a sensible act based on thinking twice about anything.
In Littlefoot's case however a considerable time had passed since the killing of his mother. He was no longer acting on such an impulse. I said it before that I don't question Littlefoot probably did feel some relieve or even satisfaction about the death of Sharptooth. What I do question is the theory of thirst for revenge as a central motive in Littlefoot's decision to take on the sharptooth thereby risking not only his own but also the life of the others.
Sharptooth was a lethal thread to Littlefoot and the others and as it was "the law of nature" there was absolutely no chance for Littlefoot and the others to ever be save from Sharptooth save by his death. Moreover the original cut of the movie included the point that Sharptooth was about to find and enter the Great Valley, thereby threatening the paradise Littlefoot and the others had been searching all the time. In military terms one might consider the killing of the Sharptooth a "preemptive-strike". Nature didn't leave any doubt about Sharptooth's being a permanent thread and there was no alternative possibility but killing Sharptooth to be save from him. Neither of these last two points is true in case of human murderers.
This caught my attention! Is there indeed more than one cut of the original movie? What are the differences, and when were they made? Going from theater to original VHS, or from the original VHS (which I still have, from the 80's, so I want to check!) to the 20th Anniversary DVD which was released recently?
The original version of the land before time which Don Bluth produced was about 8 minutes longer than the version we finally got (there are even claims that Bluth would have had the movie 35 minutes longer, but 35 additional minutes were definitely never produced). Steven Spielberg and George Lucas did some extensive cutting. Most of the scenes cut from the land before time were scenes with the Sharptooth considered too scary for kids. However, those scenes also involved some elements significantly different from the movie as we know it.
In Don Bluth's version Littlefoot found the Great Valley shortly after his quarrel with Cera and his parting with her and the others, but rather than entering the Great Valley he returned to lead the others there, as he knew they would be lost forever otherwise. Upon returning with Ducky, Petrie, and Spike Littlefoot found sharptooth about to find the entrance to the Great Valley.
While this version was never published as movie footage several books published in 1988 along with the movie are telling this version. Moreover two screenshots which confirm that this version of the story was actually produced were published in one book ("The Search for the Great Valley") respectively in a file issued to the press in 1988. The Screenshots show Littlefoot standing above a waterfall gazing over the Great Valley and his turning back to get the others.
The 1988 land before time book by Jim Razzi (which does not include any screenshots, but tells the Don Bluth version of the story) gives the following account on the moments before the fight with the Sharptooth:
The next morning Littlefoot, Ducky, Spike, and Petrie headed down the path toward the Great Valley.
"We're almost there," said Littlefoot. "Just a little farther."
"Too bad Cera not with us," said Petrie.
As the group rounded a pool near the cliffs by the entrace to the valley, Petrie leapt of Littlefoot's head and climbed to a high, rocky ledge. Suddenly he began to quiver with fear.
"Petrie, what is it?" Littlefoot asked as he reached the ledge. The he looked beyond it. There, on the plain that overlooked the Great Valley, was Sharptooth. He was searching for the entrance to the valley!

9 The Great Valley

Littlefoot realized that they had led Sharptooth to the valley. He knew that the herds would be helpless against the monster. He and his friends had to stop Sharptooth.
Littlefoot noticed a large boulder balanced at the edge of a rock ledge high above a pool of water. "We've got to get Sharptooth away from the high rocks before he fins the entrance," he said to the others. "And then we'll have to work together to kill him."

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It seems an episode that has yet to appear in the US is going to appear soon.  The title of the episode is... "Days of Rising Waters".  Are we to expect another plot involving a flood?

From the title alone, what do you guys think? :)

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
From what I've heard so far, the episode sounds interesting.

(Spoiler?)

In this episode, after Petrie's nest is flooded, he freaks out at the prospect of moving, and Cera insists that Ducky teach Tricia how to swim.  That would be very interesting, especially if Tricia has any latent fear around water after her experience in the movie.