The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Gang of Five in General

Kiwizoom

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hi, still new to this forum but snooping around bit by bit : )  I have a few questions now.

How does the ranking work, exactly?  I know some forums have that when the pictures change, I was just curious what the intervals are.

And second- how'd you guys get so many posts? XD  I saw some with 1, 2, 3, 11,000!  Oh so I'm curious where that comes from.  Roleplay maybe?  I do come on once in awhile and the active topics day to day don't number that high, so I was wondering where the action is happening in here.  Don't want to miss something!

Also- I suppose I could figure this one out myself but- how old is this forum?
And what is it's reigning premise and history?  Everything that sticks around long enough has a story and I'm wondering what this one's is.

Hmm, maybe I'll come up with more questions later XD  I'm just a curious sort of person.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The ranking system is actually more of a 'reward' thing so that you know how experienced said member is.  Many members acrue high post counts simply by participating on a daily basis for many years.

I think the intervals are 100, 500, 1000, and 5000 but I can't remember for sure.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
You can learn more about the post counts and member levels by poking around the Announcements section of the forum.  Most of the answers to your questions can be found there.  As to your second question, a lot of the members with higher post counts do participate in RP and other fast paced topics to get where they are.  Others just have been here a long time and accumulate their post counts gradually.  I have one of the highest post counts of members that don't participate in RP.  I was a bit obsessed when I first joined back in 2007 making a lot of topics and participating in almost every LBT related topic.  That's how I got my high post count.  Nowadays I'm a lot more laid back and only respond to topics when I really think my input would be very beneficial to the conversation.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, the ranking is more to show time  here and experience on this forum...unless your Petrie85. :p And yeah, a lot of the really high posters (Like Brekclub and Kor) are very active RPers on here.

THIS thread had information about the history of this board. I myself have only been here a little over 6 months, so other members here know much more about this place's history than I do.

EDIT: also, the time of year seems to have an effect on our activity. We're a lot more active in the summer, since a lot of us are school goers that have more free time then.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The number of posts alone doesn't say as much as the content of the messages. The GOF as we know it now (there had been a couple of predecessor boards) was founded back in September 2004.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
It just so happens that, due to my obsessive-compulsive data-hoarding tendencies, :p I can tell you the exact post counts of each of the levels:

Spike (Newbie) – 0–39
Petrie (Junior) – 40–199
Ducky (Senior) – 200–499
Cera (Queen) – 500–999
Littlefoot (King) – 1,000–4,999
The Gang (Ultimate LBT Fan) – 5,000–9,999
Mo (LBT-aholic) – 10,000–infinity

Also, just in case you had any questions on where to start or find topics, I thought I'd share a little guide of sorts to the sections and sub-forums of the GOF (modified from two other posts I made in the past when offering similar help to other new members).

Announcements

Announcements: Board rules and important news from the GOF staff. You can’t start posts here if you’re not an admin or mod, but you can view the board rules, signature guidelines, member levels, etc.

The Welcome Center: Seeing as you’ve made a post introducing yourself post here, it’s obvious that you already know what this section is for. :p

The Land Before Time
This subforum is pretty self-explanatory; all of the sections relate directly to the LBT series and fan work based on it.

1988 Theatrical Release: This is for topics relating specifically to the original movie.

General Land Before Time: Contains topics on the sequels, discussion threads on the characters, and topics on the LBT universe in general.

Land Before Time TV Series (2007): Topics relating specifically to the television series, including episode discussions.

Fanart and Fanfiction: This is where you can view LBT stories, artwork, poems, etc. made by GOF members (reviews encouraged), and share your own.

LBT Projects: This is for special LBT fan works such as music videos, games, and singing projects, many of which are collaborative efforts by multiple members.

Role Play
This section is for role-playing games.

Land Before Time RPG: This is for RPs strictly based on LBT (no outside elements such as humans, or characters from other series).

Role Play Discussion: Contains discussion threads for RPs. To join a RP, you usually request permission to enter in the respective discussion thread of whichever RP you are interested in.

Random Role Play: For RPs not relating to LBT, and LBT RPs with non-LBT elements (such as GOF members meeting the LBT characters).

Beyond the Mysterious Beyond
Topics that do not involve LBT (unless you count LBT-related games in The Party Room) go here.

The Arts: Discuss movies, TV, literature, and music, and share non-LBT-related artwork and writing.

Hobbies and Recreation: For topics on video games, computers, sports, travel, and other pastimes.

The Party Room: The place for games, jokes, trivia, and the “Ask Me” forum, where you can get to know other other members by asking them questions, and start a thread of your own where other members can ask questions of you.

Caption This!: For posting humorous captions to photos, screenshots, etc.

The Fridge: This is for general discussions that don't fit into any other section. Also includes “star day” threads for giving birthday wishes to other members on the appropriate dates, and the home of the GOF Member Awards.

After Midnight: You won't be able to view this forum until you reach a certain post count. This is for mature, serious, potentially controversial, and somewhat more private discussions. It also contains “Show us…”, a section where members can post photos on various subjects, and “Lands Unknown”, for posting announcements of prolonged and possibly permanent absences from the forum.

GOF Government

The Rock Circle: This is for sharing, discussing, and voting on proposed changes to the GOF.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Everyone seems to have helped you out appropriately.  The only reason I have 11,000 posts is because I've been around forever. :p  This board has been at this location for seven years now...that's a lot of time for a lot of posts.