The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Budget games

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
If you don't know what budget games are, they're the games that usually go for $20 new and they're really bad games that are rushed. One of the most notorious budget developers is Data Design Interactive.

Developers of these games often rush the games by using the exact same game engine with multiple games and just swap the graphics and sound just so they can release as many as they can. Quantity over quality.

I've noticed that budget games appeared mostly on the PS2, Gamecube, GBA and DS. But once the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out, budget games only appeared on the Wii and DS probably due to that the budget developers can't afford PS3 and 360 dev kits.

With the Wii U coming out next year, and it being a powerful console like the PS3 and 360, I wonder if these crappy budget games will finally disappear along with the developers.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Doubtful!  Crappy get rich quick schemes like that will always exist.  I think they'll just turn to cheating out online gamers next.  Online is a HUGE money-making opportunity for just about anything these days.  It's all about reaching a potential audience for what you're making money off of.  Once you do that, you're guaranteed to make some cash.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Disappear I think not. Even back in the days they had these budget games for systems like the Gameboy, and while we have advanced in our technology greatly, 'crappy' games will still be made. They will probably create less budget games for existing systems and move on to the Wii U (and other systems released in the future).

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
LJN made a ton of those in the past, including those awful Back To The Future games on the NES.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Belmont2500,Jan 6 2012 on  02:19 PM
LJN made a ton of those in the past, including those awful Back To The Future games on the NES.
UGH!  Don't remind me!  Those LJN games were atrocious!

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
LJN - are they the company with the rainbow on their logo? I think I remember playing Jaws round a friend's house when I was little. We used to spend ages trying to finish it, but never could.

I don't think cheap budget games will go away either. There'll always be people who'll buy them and those companies know it, so they'll keep churning them out. I don't really mind though - I always like watching reviews of bad games.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Jan 6 2012 on  07:45 PM
LJN - are they the company with the rainbow on their logo? I think I remember playing Jaws round a friend's house when I was little. We used to spend ages trying to finish it, but never could.

I don't think cheap budget games will go away either. There'll always be people who'll buy them and those companies know it, so they'll keep churning them out. I don't really mind though - I always like watching reviews of bad games.
Yep, that's them. I'm pretty sure their name stood for "Laughing Joking Numbnuts" or some crap like that.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I wish. That would mean the end of EA and Call of duty. Haha.

But no seriously I haven't actually seen a data design game in my life. I don't think it really matters