The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hello...um, computer problems!

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
It appears that the computer I would normally be using (an HP notebook) is broken (or at least that's what my grandparents think; hey, they're no technicians). The CPU on it may have ran low, but we're still not officially sure about it. Either we'll take the computer in for repair or we could eventually afford money to get a new computer. Right now, at home, I'm using an older Gateway laptop to travel the internet and other things!

Just an update on compter status.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hope it gets fixed/replaced soon and that it won't be too expensive! :)

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
More status:

It's official: The CPU had ran low on the computer, and it will cost quite a bit of money (I think well over $200, possibly almost $300 plus tax) to get everything fixed up. Of course, that leaves us with only one choice: getting a new computer when we have our tax money (which we'll get in a few weeks probably).

'Til then, I'm stuck with this older Gateway laptop that I'm currently fine with. With the HP laptop that I've used for two years gone, I currently do not have my recently-installed Adobe Audition 1.5 (however, I do have the program setups on my flash drive. Maybe...), also all the stuff that I had on my hard drive (mainly consisting of music files) is also gone, but hopefully, when I get a new laptop, we might be able to get rid of the stuff on the hard drive, not sure just yet.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^If it had been a desktop, it would have cost about $35 to fix.  Just something to think about on your next purchase.  Laptops cost around 10x more to fix than desktops, have less power, and cost more to buy.  You need to get a desktop next time around.

Source:  I'm a computer repair technician

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
From what a friend of mine said, desktops are much easier to open up to examine the parts inside than laptops. With laptops, you have to take apart the keyboard and I think other stuff just to look inside. Laptops require more manual work in order to see things like the motherboard and circuit board, while with desktops, all you have to do is remove one plate on the side and you can pretty much see almost everything. Not sure if I'm remembering this right.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^This is 100% true, but what really matters is how cheap the parts are.  With the laptop, everything is integrated into the motherboard.  So when the GPU goes out, you have to replace the whole motherboard for $300-$400.  But with a desktop you can just add a graphics card for $35 and you're set to go.  Even a whole motherboard for a desktop is like $45 with a 3 year warranty!

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
And with my experience desk top computers can also handle more of a beating when it comes to the internet. I've always liked desk tops more since they're not to expensive to fix when they get broken. And it will save you a lot of money. Trust me I've taken a Apple desk top and put that thing through hell and not one crash or virus was found on it.