The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 174547

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: tad10,Aug 24 2012 on  05:55 PM
Hi, new to this forum, I found some more original production material that may shed some light on those lost scenes, sorry if any of its been posted before

http://images.wikia.com/landbeforetime/ima...acter_sheet.jpg

The search continues!  :idea
Is the third pic real?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't think so... Maybe it is a sketch that helped the animators... idk :unsure:
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
It looks photo manipulated to me. The other two grey-ish longnecks look like scaled down adults, same with the other threehorns. That and I don't know what the upside-down threehorn is all about. Parts of Littlefoot's tail and hind foot are missing too, which doesn't make sense if that was an actual cel. So I'd say it's a fake. :yes

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: somerandomfangirl,Jun 24 2013 on  10:16 AM
It looks photo manipulated to me. The other two grey-ish longnecks look like scaled down adults, same with the other threehorns. That and I don't know what the upside-down threehorn is all about. Parts of Littlefoot's tail and hind foot are missing too, which doesn't make sense if that was an actual cel. So I'd say it's a fake. :yes
The adults are from the earthshake scene.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
decided to put this here too

was watching this and there was a missing scene here too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunZBN3YXZU

notice when the gang all hug and sleep together and how they are positioned

next scene they somehow moved and made a heart
"Cera ends up in the middle between spike and littlefoot"

scene missing : cera moving herself to the middle
my thought: she probably blush or something and didnt want to be hugged by littlefoot

ITS AT 2:37-2:42  dino_tongue.gif

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot3897,Jul 20 2013 on  01:44 AM
decided to put this here too

was watching this and there was a missing scene here too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunZBN3YXZU

notice when the gang all hug and sleep together and how they are positioned

next scene they somehow moved and made a heart
"Cera ends up in the middle between spike and littlefoot"

scene missing : cera moving herself to the middle
my thought: she probably blush or something and didnt want to be hugged by littlefoot

ITS AT 2:37-2:42  dino_tongue.gif
That's an interesting thought, or it could have just been a mistake on the animator's part. I could see Cera getting uncomfortable with Littlefoot hugging her like that, but because the heart is still in somewhat perfect form even with the switch I feel like that wasn't supposed to happen.

Who knows. It's all just speculation at this point.

Kara

• Ruby
    • View Profile
First post - hi everyone!  :wave

I've been wondering about the uncut version of the film for a long time too. Today I discovered that the British Film Institute has a combined continuity script in the archives for the film. A combined continuity script looks like this so it should show the cut scenes as well, even if there was no dialogue in them. It would hopefully confirm that the scenes existed.

I'm thinking I should make an appointment to go and view the script and come back with my findings.. what do you reckon? They also have stills from the film :D

Kara

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Thanks MurMur! I have always loved The Land Before Time, ever since I first saw it. I still see leaves now that make me think "tree stars!" and I am nearly 30  :P:

I've emailed the BFI and asked if I would need to/how to make an appointment to view the script. It's in London and I'm about 200 miles away but I would definitely go! :)

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks for your help. :)
I hope we will finally learn the truth.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds very promising Kara :yes

You may introduce yourself in the 'Welcome Center' so that you can be welcomed officialy ;)
Quite a few members are in their 30's, plus I know at least one member in his 40's :wow

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi Kara!

That really sounds interesting! Have you made one of these appointments before? Not sure how difficult it is to get in there... Would love to hear what you'll get!

Kara

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Heya! Yeah it does sound really interesting, I'm excited! :D. Be nice to finish the puzzle.

it's pretty easy enough to get in there I think, it's part of the British Film Industry library system and archives. Only reason I have to make an appointment is because sometimes the scripts have to be pulled from storage, and/or there might be a waiting list to view them. There's more info on the BFI special collection here.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if you're allowed to take photos/video of their exhibits. I shouldn't see why not, I'm assuming it's all digital. Plus I've not seen anything that says I can't yet :).

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kara,Aug 15 2013 on  04:02 PM
Heya! Yeah it does sound really interesting, I'm excited! :D. Be nice to finish the puzzle.

it's pretty easy enough to get in there I think, it's part of the British Film Industry library system and archives. Only reason I have to make an appointment is because sometimes the scripts have to be pulled from storage, and/or there might be a waiting list to view them. There's more info on the BFI special collection here.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if you're allowed to take photos/video of their exhibits. I shouldn't see why not, I'm assuming it's all digital. Plus I've not seen anything that says I can't yet :).
let us know what happens please :)

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hey guys! I noticed that a user named Apple refers to stills in the collector's edition. Pics?

ddmkm122

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Phantom,Nov 4 2013 on  11:37 PM
Hey guys! I noticed that a user named Apple refers to stills in the collector's edition. Pics?
You mean Apple Computers?  Or Apple The Fruit?  Lol!   :D !

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Having received several requests I scanned the pages of the land before time illustrated story book which contain an illustration (running over both sides which are too large to be scanned as one though) refering to the Oasis scene:

The full text of the Oasis scene (brought up earlier in this thread, but I'm posting it again to spare you the browsing;)) reads:
(...) A long time passed and the brave little
group (Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Spike and Petrie) was getting more
tired and hungry with each plodding step. At least
they left the mountains behind. Now they were in a
hot, sandy desert.  "I tired," moaned Petrie. "Way
to Great Valley too great way." "We're almost
there," cried Littlefoot. "Don't give up
now." Suddenly Spike became alert and sniffed the air. "He
must smell food," said Ducky. "It's the only thing
that would wake him up." Spike snorted and galloped
over a small hill. The others followed, staring in
wonder at what they saw. There was a small spring of water
surrounded by a group of thin gray-noses (Another word
for Ducky's sort). Near the spring but standing apart
was a cluster of trees full of delicious-looking
green-food, surrounded by a group of fat
crown-heads. Littlefoot and the others raced down the hill, yelling and
cheering. But they got closer, they saw the hard looks
on everybody's face, and the cheers died in their
throats. A stern-looking gray-nose came up to them and said,
"What do you want, little ones?" "Food!", Littlefoot
cried. "And water, yep, yep," Ducky added. A fat
crown-head waddled up and said, "No food!" "You may
drink," said the grey-nose to Ducky. "You are a big-mouth
like us. But," he continued pointing at the rest of
the group, "no water for them." "But they need
drinks, too!" Ducky protested. They're my
friends." "These are your friends?" said the fat crown-head.
 "A threehorn? A longneck, a spike-tail and" - he
pointed to Petrie - "and whatever that is." "Yes, run
away quickly," said the grey-nose to Ducky, "before
spikes and horns grow on you." Cera couldn't believe
what she was hearing. She had never realized before
how foolish it was to dislike someone just because
he looked different. All she knew now was that they
all needed  food and water. She reared up her head
and said firmly, "We're hungry! All of us!" The
thin grey-nose stared at her. "And so are we," he
finally said. "Then why don't you share the water with
the crown-heads?" said Littlefoot. "And hey could
share the food with you. Then you wouldn't be hungry
and they wouldn't be thirsty." "No, no, no," said
the crown-head and the grey-nose at the same
time. "Well, if you don't change your minds, all of you will
die," said Cera. "Why don't you like each other
anyway?" Ducky asked. "The crown-heads are from the
other side of the swamp," said the gray-nose. "I
don't see anything wrong with that," said
Littlefoot. "This is silly. I'm hungry," cried Cera. "Let's go
somewhere else to look for food together." And with that
the small group marched away. The grey-nose shook his
head. "I'll never understand that young ones," he said. The
crown-head nodded and went back to guard the
food. (...)
The land before time Illustrated Story Book is however the only source we got about the scene. It is possible that the authors of the book were given planning sketches for the movie while it was still in production and wrote the book without having ever seen the movie. It is however down to speculation. There is no shred of evidence that the oasis scene has ever actually been produced. I don't think Don Bluth ever refered to it when talking about outcut scenes. Mr. Bluth mostly refered to the Sharptooth scenes that were cut for being deemed too scary by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Lack of mention by Don Bluth is not a certain sign that the oasis scene was never produced; after all Don Bluth never referred to the scene in which after his birth Spike was lured with berries to follow the group.
Now with that berrie scene the situation is quite the opposite of the oasis scene in terms of source material. We know for a fact that the scene was produced since screenshots of it made it into cinema showcases as well as into the book "Friends in Need":

However, while we got the image of the scene we don't have any references to any dialogue or other content of that scene. There just isn't any written reference to it at all. This is all you will find in "Friends in Need" about the meeting with Spike:
The next day, among some tall dry weeds, Ducky stumbled upon a nest with a lone egg. The egg was snoring!
Ducky tapped the shell and called, "Hello in there. You should come out now, you should." The egg cracked open, and a sleepy-eyed baby spike-tail gazed at her dreamily.
Ducky said to the others, "Can he come with us? I have named him Spike, and he is all alone, too. Yes, he is."
Spike joined the group, and they continued their journey across the lonely land. Everyone except Cera seemed happy to have some company.
The book "The Search for the Great Valley" is even more curt when it comes to Spike's joining the group. This is all it says:
Soon a little spike-tail, whom Ducky named Spike, joined the weary group.
Finally the Illustrated story book is a little more detailed about Cera's reservations against Spike, but it doesn't make any reference to the berries either:
The next morning the four of them trudged on across the barren land. When the bright circle was high in the sky, Ducky came upon a nest with one unhatched egg lying among broken shells. Strange sounds were coming from the egg - snorring, then yawning. Ducky gave a cry of delight and tapped the egg. It started to crack open. A sleepy head appeared. Ducky quickly peeled away the rest of the sell, and there stood a sleepy-eyed spike-tail.
"You are a spike-tail, so I will call you Spike," Ducky said.
The rest of the group came running up. "This is my new friend, Spike," said Ducky. "Can we take him with us? Huh? Huh?"
"He'll slow us down," Cera said. "All spike-tails can do is eat and burp. Sharptooth will catch up and eat us!"
"No more dump stories," Littlefoot said sternly.
"I'm telling the truth!" Cera cried.
Over Cera's protests Spike joined the group.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:18:45 AM by Mumbling »

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
thought it was interesting
someone mentioned in other post how it looks like the tar scene had some scenes skipped

I found this in other post and probabaly think this was in the movie o_O

The picture presented in "The land before time - The illustrated story" is a different one. This is what it says (no translation but English original this time):
"I knew it was you all along!" she said.
Littefoot grinned at her.
"You did?" said Ducky. "But you were screaming so loud."
"I was only acting," Cera shot back. "I wanted those scaly-skins to come come into the cave so I could attack them!"
"Nope, nope, nope," Ducky said shaking her head.
"Oh get out of my way!" Cera yelled. But as she tried to stalk out of the cave, she stuck to the tar monster.
"We really together now!" said Ducky, giggling.
"Yeah, Cera," said Littlefoot. "Now we have to stick together."
And the whole group loughed.
That made Cera madder than ever. Pulling herself free, she cried out, "Oh, shut up. I hate all of you! I don't ever want to see any of you again, ever!"
With that, she stomped out of the cave into the darkness. As she marched away her eyes filled with tears. She really didn't mean what she had said. It was just that her pride had been hurt. She looked around, half expecting them to come after her. But they didn't, and her heart sank a little.
A heavy rain started to fall, washing the tar off Littlefoot and the others. "Let her go," he said. "If she doesn't want to come back, there's nothing we can do." The others sadly had to agree.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Some parts of this would have been a nice addition to the cut movie while others would not. In particular, the "now we have to stick together" part would have been a reaaaaally nice addition. THough the ending is better the way it was in the movie (Cera slipping in the puddle of tar, then bumping into the rock while she :P: ed at the Gang, then the Gang trying to get her to change her mind which Cera doesn't...)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm pretty excited about all this stuff, and I really enjoyed reading this topic. But I decided to register now because I stumbled upon something:

I know, this scene was posted here several times (Ducky making faces while swimming), but the quality wasn't that good. Also I think the scene with the jumping Sharptooth isn't here yet (at least I hope so, I didn't check everything in this topic).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8utQUIw-E

0:47 to 0:51

It's a german commercial but this should be good enough I think.

I also have a theory about the fight between Littlefoots mother and Sharptooth. I think instead of cutting the whole thing out, they decided to show only a version which is zoomed in. If that didn't come up yet, I'm going to explain it.

I really hope that someday we'll have this movie with all scenes that were taken from it.

Oh, and..
Hi, everyone. :)