The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 174254

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
In my opinion at least the background of the cel with mother is a fake. It looks too much like something created with a digital tool like Photoshop. The original backgrounds are much more washed out.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Can  someone list all the scenes exclusive to the book? That might give us an idea of what was cut. I can't believe no one has listed them all.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Nov 27 2011 on  02:12 AM
Can  someone list all the scenes exclusive to the book? That might give us an idea of what was cut. I can't believe no one has listed them all.
Yeah would be nice if someone could scan the scenes and put them up somewhere.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure they have been listed on this page two or three times already; I'm sure if you went back a few pages you'd find it.

From memory though, the novel scenes are:
*Cera telling the others to leave Baby Spike behind, as "Spiketails eat a lot", but the others ignore her and get him to follow by using a stick with berries on it as a lure.
*The encounter of two racist herds of dinosaurs who are unwilling to work together to survive (one herd has water, but no food, while the other has food, but no water). Cera remarks this is foolish.
*Littlefoot coming up with the plan to kill Sharptooth so that he won't find the entrance to the Great Valley.

A complete list of scenes also exists somewhere in this topic, but I don't remember which page. There's also my three pages about the soundtrack, which are useful in discerning what's missing and what's been recut (for example the soundtrack still contains the musical cues that would have been used for the original ending); (http://amcalmaron.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=72#/d28x343), plus there's also this collation of stills and video clips of cut scenes; (http://amcalmaron.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d41k8wf).

Have you visited these links before? I'm sure I sent you links to all the pages with info about the deleted scenes for help with your project to rewrite the first film!

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Almaron,Nov 27 2011 on  02:24 PM

From memory though, the novel scenes are:
*Cera telling the others to leave Baby Spike behind, as "Spiketails eat a lot", but the others ignore her and get him to follow by using a stick with berries on it as a lure.
*The encounter of two racist herds of dinosaurs who are unwilling to work together to survive (one herd has water, but no food, while the other has food, but no water). Cera remarks this is foolish.
*Littlefoot coming up with the plan to kill Sharptooth so that he won't find the entrance to the Great Valley.

*Extended rooter scene
*Discovery of great valley by littlefoot, then going back
*scene where "they go through barren landscape" led by littlefoot and cera says they will never find great valley

There must be more that hasnt been mentioned in this thread. Cera leaving the gang before taking on sharptooth? A scene listing straight from the books would be good.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Where is the scene with Rooter extended? It is the same as in the movie. Instead this part is shorter because the following animation with the little flyers is missing.

I am not sure about the end. In the book they huge each other, then they enter the valley and finally Littlefoot talks a last time with his mother.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dilopho,Nov 28 2011 on  05:04 AM
Where is the scene with Rooter extended? It is the same as in the movie. Instead this part is shorter because the following animation with the little flyers is missing.

I am not sure about the end. In the book they huge each other, then they enter the valley and finally Littlefoot talks a last time with his mother.
The scene was actually after spikes birth, not the ending:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040205200020/...letedscenes.php

It supposedly has a picture about the scene not shown here too.

"On the following page, there is a scene that was not in the movie. In this picture, the quintet of five dinosaurs is gazing around a barren land at dusk after having walked through a tunnel. There is no specific caption for the picture except Cera is in wonder as to when they will find the Great Valley."

Bruton the Iguanodon

So was a full 35 minutes cut?! That would put the uncut version at 99 minutes lonG!!

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pikkutassu,Nov 28 2011 on  10:56 PM

"On the following page, there is a scene that was not in the movie. In this picture, the quintet of five dinosaurs is gazing around a barren land at dusk after having walked through a tunnel. There is no specific caption for the picture except Cera is in wonder as to when they will find the Great Valley."
Then you mean extended birth scene of Spike and not extended Rooter scene.

And the picture on that page is from the movie when they are all together in the valley after Littlefoot calls the others (You can see it also on the cover of that book). There is no picture of a deleted scene, the images from the movie are only a bit mixed up in that book.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dilopho,Nov 29 2011 on  01:36 AM
Quote from: Pikkutassu,Nov 28 2011 on  10:56 PM

Then you mean extended birth scene of Spike and not extended Rooter scene.

And the picture on that page is from the movie when they are all together in the valley after Littlefoot calls the others (You can see it also on the cover of that book). There is no picture of a deleted scene, the images from the movie are only a bit mixed up in that book.
No for the rooter scene I mean the missing narrator line at the end of the scene.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hey Malte, we're being referenced ten years in the future with that link. ;)  You've basically stumbled onto the work Malte and I did about ten years ago (before this forum was around).

Bruton the Iguanodon

*Cera telling the others to leave Baby Spike behind, as "Spiketails eat a lot", but the others ignore her and get him to follow by using a stick with berries as a lure

I believe, unless he was this size when he hatched and he somehow just looks bigger a few secs later, "Baby Spike" had somehow become "The age the rest of the gang is Spike" by the time that scene happened. For discussion on this see my "Born this way?" topic.

Anyways I know there's a scene in the book where Littlefoot's grandpa puts his big foot next to Littlefoot small one and says"look how small his feet are, one of my toes is bigger then 1 of his feet!" (probably Bill Erwin's speaking role) and mom names him littlefoot from them. So there are definitely a lot of novel-only scenes we haven't listed or discussed. Sure they may not have actual scenes that were cut but it would be interesting to hear them. I searched around but sadly the book's text isn't available anywhere online. We're gonna have to rely on fans who have the book to list them down.

I was really disapointed how short the movie was and think there should have been more scenes of the gang traveling to the great valley, and encountering more perils on the way there. They don't even group up entirely until like 35 minutes into this 60 minute film. I think Littlefoot's moms's death scene could have been way longer too, and have the actual death be shown close up, not from far away. That's a pity because those two things ruined an otherwise perfect, beautiful, devestatingly sad scene.

Also, they never showed how Ducky and Spike ended up in the lava pit, or how the gang (minus Cera) escaped the tar. Any ideas if that was filmed?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Anyways I know there's a scene in the book where Littlefoot's grandpa puts his big foot next to Littlefoot small one and says"look how small his feet are, one of my toes is bigger then 1 of his feet!" (probably Bill Erwin's speaking role) and mom names him littlefoot from them.
I should point out that the scene is only found in a German language movie book that appeared years after the movie. I never found it in an English book. I like the scene and find it plausible, but evidence that such a scene was ever considered for the movie is nonexistent.
Also, they never showed how Ducky and Spike ended up in the lava pit, or how the gang (minus Cera) escaped the tar. Any ideas if that was filmed?
I hope that a scene revealing for the tarpit to have been much more shallow than it looked (as is suggested by some books) was shot, for the way the movie looks this is indeed something never explained. We only see a surprised look on Littlefoot's face the moment before the cut to Cera fleeing from the domeheads.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I had the craziest dream the other night. I was watching LBT 1 and was at the part where they spot the rock that looks like a longneck, and I was about to turn it off cause I'd seen it so many times when at the last second something caught my attention---instead of just cutting to them going through the swamp there seemed to be an intro into that scene that was unfamiliar. From the brief parts i saw it primarily involved Petrie and Cera. I vowed to come back in a second to watch the rest...and woke up later to find it was a dream. I wonder what I would've seen if i'd stayed, lol!

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
I agree with Justin1993.  She looks as though she has matured more.  I am guessing the scenes were probably cutted for theatrical reasons or for lack of background.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Will somone write out a completel list of the scenes exclusive to the book? I think there's a lot that haven't been listed

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
The movie has aired yesterday on one of the movie subscription channels of the original TV company I contacted! Did anyone of the Finnish members here see it?

Bruton the Iguanodon

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
When did you find out about this, Pikkutassu? Seems like you've been caught off guard. Well, you can't move time back, unfortunately. Keep us informed about any news that comes out from Finnish web-space, will you?

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I just noticed it yesterday. don't have the channels so I don't follow them except searching the TV schedule now and then, and the movie never showed up in regular search like the sequels.

At least they have the rights now... I'm ready to capture it when it airs on the regular channel.