The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 174516

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey RockingScorpion and welcome! :) Thanks for posting the commercial, it's always good to see more material available to us on Youtube.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think this can be also seen in the english trailer  :unsure: I'll just check it and add a link if my assumption is correct.

Either way, thanks for posting this and joining the GoF :) You're very welcomed here, yep, yep, yep.

EDIT: Here's said trailer, though in worse quality indeed :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Now that I have got the Friends in need book which has some shots of some of the deleted scenes, I thought I'd post them here.

First off I know some people have shown this one already, but the first one is the Ducky tempting Spike with berries scene.

Next one if a shot from the scene were they find what they think is the great Valley. Littlefoot (who looks like he's licking his lips) and Cera are at the opening of  the cave while Ducky is come up to them.

This one is from when they get away from Sharptooth after sleeping in the footprint, just before Cera says "Now will you believe me?!". Cera appears to be glaring at Sharptooth, while the other look in fear.

Finally this last one from the tar monster scene ( my most hated scene in the first film) were Cera is looking around with an angry look on her face after she slipped on the puddle of tar.

raniwasacyborg

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://cyborgrani.tumblr.com/
I think I've found what may be a first edition VHS tape on Ebay.  The shipping to the UK is too much for me to be able to afford, but one of you might be able to get hold of it.  It's listed as "1989", which I'm pretty sure was the release year of the first edition, and I've contact the seller to ask about the runtime (no answer yet, but I should hopefully get one soon).  Anyway, if anyone wants to try their luck and bid on it, here's the URL! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=151258322003

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: raniwasacyborg,May 28 2014 on  02:49 PM
I think I've found what may be a first edition VHS tape on Ebay.  The shipping to the UK is too much for me to be able to afford, but one of you might be able to get hold of it.  It's listed as "1989", which I'm pretty sure was the release year of the first edition, and I've contact the seller to ask about the runtime (no answer yet, but I should hopefully get one soon).  Anyway, if anyone wants to try their luck and bid on it, here's the URL! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=151258322003
I found a first edition yesterday. Wish me luck!

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I just started looking again and discovered a clip I've never seen before. It might be here already, I don't know, but I did check out the whole topic and I'm somewhat good at remembering things I've seen (whether that's good or not). :D

It's just a few seconds and has no sound, plus the quality is really bad, but it's something.^^

Link

Two clips removed, they were from that pizza hut commercial. Now I just hope that at least the remaining one is something new. xD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I guess I've seen this sequence... not sure though whether it's actually in the movie or I've seen the pizza hut commercial before :unsure:

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
By now I'm pretty sure it is somewhere in here, too. I haven't seen it, but really finding something that is new isn't easy on the internet.^^

What might be really interesting is what I discovered on ebay. The product info says it is a cell from 1988, coming from the Sullivan Bluth Studios, including the handpainted background. It looks like this:

If I'm not totally missing something here, we never saw this background in the movie. Of course there are some possibilities here:

1: It's fake.
If someone faked it THIS perfect, it's worth the price anyway (84 USD). xD
The seller has 100% positive feedback btw. And the look of the cels matches perfect to those I got some time ago (referring to the numbers on them and stuff).

2: It could be that those are cels used in the scenes we all know, smashed on a fake background that got printed somehow. Again, the seller has the 100% rating. According to the description, it actually is a handpainted background. You can even see that the paint is a bit smeared at the edges of the painting

3: It could be from another movie.
I don't think any other movie besides the first one used cel animation. They might've drawn backgrounds per hand, but again, 100% rating for the seller and it clearly says when and where it was made.

4: It actually is a background plus two cels from a scene that didn't make it. If that's true, from the looks of it it seems to belong to the great valley.

The link to the cels+background is here: click.

Somehow I really wonder how it happened that these cels are now in the possessions and sold by some random guys all over the world apparently...xD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm, I don't know what to make of this...

First of all, great discovery! This is certainly unknown to our forum. Now let's see...

The scene looks like a cut. This is certainly NOT in the movie we all adore. Now consider this: Where do you think might this scene be? Or, to put it better: What scene exactly is it supposed to show? We pretty much know all edited scenes although nobody can really prove whether our assumptions are correct. Though the majority of the scenes we believe to be part of the uncut version have either references in a book or they are in some of the trailers and ads for the movie. I don't know which scene this might show. Do you guys?

Let's take a look at the background... There's only one scene in the edited version that has a similar background... the scene between Ducky and Littlefoot meeting and them meeting Petrie. They're exchanging names, talking about the Great Valley (Ducky: "Do you think my family went to the Great Valley too, heh?" Littlefoot: "Maybe... My mother said that's where all the herd are going.")
and then "don't step on a crack..." I guess there are trees like those in the background and the angle of the camera might fit too, so does the texture of the grass.
A likely guess as for what cut scene this might display is the mysterious "oasis scene". After all, we don't really have any screenshots of it and only some illustrations in a book whose illustrations are not necessarily screenshots from the uncut movie. These show a rather tropical vegetation if I recall correctly while we see a forest here that is more likely to be seen in Europe and Northern America.

I'll be making a bold guess by claiming that this is a fake. The background reminds me of Winnie the Pooh, a series Bluth also worked on. The trees and the rock (which looks kind of misplaced to me btw) look really similar to the style of that show. Furthermore, Littlefoot looks like being edited into this. I don't know why but his pose looks familiar to me (either the scene where he's calling after his mum right after the earthshake and Sharptooth scene ends or the scene where he's walking around with no aim, crying, until he discovers the treestar). Anybody interested in checking that? I'm too busied atm.

What's your take on it?

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Mystery solved I guess: Click. (Frame by Frame viewing is interesting^^).

I guess this just got mixed up over the years somehow...no wonder after 26 years if you ask me.^^
I don't think the seller did it on purpose.

There's still (a very small one now) a chance that it is legit. They reused some part of the animation in at least one case, so...
But using this in a happy scene wouldn't make sense, so yeah, it's probably not an unused bg. The cels should be legit though.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
(yes, it is :smile. Imagine somebody tried to make a screenshot of every frame :DD)

Ah, I've actually been proven right. Awesome! :lol Though it is a pity that this isn't what we were looking for :(

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, wow! I hadn't seen those last several posts!

Nice find---the BG is beautiful, even if it was never in the movie. And nice job, RockingScorpion, finding out that it was fake!

I wonder where the background was from, though?  :!

BashLucasandSpielberg

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hello all!

I'm brand new here, and wanted to inform you all that some scenes were in fact in the early VHS copies, such as the one that I watched the first time I saw the movie.

I remember seeing these scenes as a little guy when we borrowed the vhs (almost certainly a 1989 version) from somebody.

1. The T-rex jumped on Littlefoot's mom's back and bit her (bodies and shadows visible), the scratches showed on her neck and back but the neck bite itself was absent.

2. The cut bits where Littlefoot and Cera run from the T-rex and hit his foot.

3. Spike being led to follow them with berries (that I think were red, and I was right! :)), and Cera and Ducky arguing about him staying.

4. Petrie struggling to the surface of the water and an extended T-rex death scene.

5. The part where Littlefoot and Cera argue about where the Great Valley is.

6. Petrie arriving at the Great Valley atop Littlefoot's head (Pretty sure this was in there)

7. The gang being chased away from the water and food by other dinosaurs(?)

8. Ducky making faces at the T-rex(?)

9. Cera and Littlefoot almost get eaten!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbW8GgAWKi8...17787AE&index=2  :smile

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
The movie is now finally airing on the same channel here... but of course it's some new HD print  <_<

Laisanen

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Phantom,Jun 21 2014 on  01:54 PM
Quote from: raniwasacyborg,May 28 2014 on  02:49 PM
I think I've found what may be a first edition VHS tape on Ebay.  The shipping to the UK is too much for me to be able to afford, but one of you might be able to get hold of it.  It's listed as "1989", which I'm pretty sure was the release year of the first edition, and I've contact the seller to ask about the runtime (no answer yet, but I should hopefully get one soon).  Anyway, if anyone wants to try their luck and bid on it, here's the URL! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=151258322003
I found a first edition yesterday. Wish me luck!
Does anyone have screenshots or references of the first edition VHS cover? Or any details what to keep an eye on, besides the running time and also the year of the release of the VHS? For example is the cover plastic like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VHS-The-Land-...=item3385326b96

or made of paper like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Land-Before-Ti...=item43d100ef08

Details like these would help a lot when trying to find the first edition. :)

BashLucasandSpielberg

• Ruby
    • View Profile
The first edition is always in a cardboard case unless someone transferred it to plastic later on. :)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but I had one of those original print VHS tapes in the US.  There were no outcut scenes on that VHS release, so please save your money. ;)  I was always surprised how the book "Friends in Need" could have scenes that the film I had didn't.

BashLucasandSpielberg

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Aw, dang!

I definitely remember those scenes from the first time I saw the movie though. Couldn't have been in theatres, because I wasn't around that far back. :)

It was definitely a VHS. Strange...

BashLucasandSpielberg

• Ruby
    • View Profile
There IS somebody Finnish on youtube that owns an uncut VHS, named kaskiller.

However, I am starting to suspect that they died or something, because I sent a message but got no response.

Who doesn't check their e-mail or comment on youtube for a year?

Video with the relevant comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbI0Htbl5UA

Kaskiller's page: https://www.youtube.com/user/kaskiller

Laisanen

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I have been trying to investigate where the Finnish TV channel MTV3 got the "uncut version" of the movie. I didn't have that much luck but this is what I found out so far:

I followed Pikkutassu's lead and contacted the National Audiovisual Institute in Finland. They have the film prints of all the movies that are shown in Finnish theaters (foreign and national). They also have detailed information when certain movies are shown on TV.

They had listed in their library that TLBT was shown in 25.12.1995 and 31.01.1998 on MTV3. Those are the dates when people have said that the channel showed the uncut version. My first question was, are those dates about the movie only or the FILM COPY that they have in their archive.

I asked about this on e-mail and they said that those dates apply to all screenings on TV, not only their copy. They also mentioned that it is almost certain that MTV3 got their copy somewhere else than from National Audiovisual Institute's archive in the 90's. Usually TV channels get their copies from production companies, which makes sense. But it just raises.. more questions.

There's also a small conflict with the uncut film being shown in 25.12.1995 on MTV3. The running time for the movie was 66 min according to Katso-magazine. They had booked 70 min for the movie (this includes commercials etc.), so even if it had been the uncut version, it wouldn't have fitted into the booked timeslot.

Even though it doesn't seem that likely that the institute have the uncut version in their possession, I'm still planning to go to see the film copy in their archives. Unfortunately, you have to book one week earlier because they have to take the film copy out of the cold-storage. It also costs a little bit but I think it is worth se see, just in case. :)

So for the Finnish fans, I recommend to keep contacting MTV3. Or at least ask where they got their copy of the movie in the 90's.

One more thing, could Finnish fans also tell me was the uncut version on MTV3 Finnish dubbed? Or in English?