The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My card game won $3000!

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
So I'm super excited, I entered a board game development contest sponsored by Ford Motor Company. The prompt was "in order to test self-driving car AI, we need a board game for 2 or more players that involves carrying conversations on topics that we can alter or change to be anything we want."

Well, I came up with an idea, commisssioned some card artwork...and won! The three winners each earned three-thousand dollars, and since the winners were required to enter their work into the public domain, my game is free to download here: https://aabicus.com/the-just-us-league/

The Just Us League is a lighthearted card game where players assume the roles of underwhelming superheroes with less-than-useful weapons, each vying for the President’s permission to save the world from the current wacky catastrophe. The characters and conflicts are generated via drawing from decks every round, so you'll never play the same exact scenario twice. If you're into card games or superheroes, I recommend you check it out! :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:38:15 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Congratulations aabicus! That is pretty darn cool :D Too bad it's 3+ players so I guess it'll have to wait until after the pandemic haha. Maybe you can put it on TTS?

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
This is super cool!!!
Congratulations, Aabicus!

You made this game alone or with some help?
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Congratulations aabicus! That is pretty darn cool :D Too bad it's 3+ players so I guess it'll have to wait until after the pandemic haha. Maybe you can put it on TTS?

Yeah, there's a 2-player variation but I added it only to qualify for Ford's requirements, the game really only works with at least 3 players. A TTS mod is a great idea, I'm going to look into that!

This is super cool!!!
Congratulations, Aabicus!

You made this game alone or with some help?

I designed the game alone, though I hired a cartoonist to draw the card artwork. The challenge was time; from announcement, the contest gave only 2 weeks to finish the whole game, and I frankly didn't want to spend time working with other people and slowing the development process down.

That's also why I hired Kirsten M Thompson, she was a redditor who frequently did "send me ideas and I'll doodle them within 24 hours" threads, and had a legendarily-good rate of return. The timeframe was so short I needed someone who could pump out art like that, and what she drew was amazing.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 01:24:39 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

PteranoStan

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Dang! Congrats. I may just have to download this and try it out sometime.  :PteranoPlotting